Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Our little guy died in my arms last week as we were about to take him outside for a walk. He would have been 16 in July, so he lived a nice long dog life.

About 5-6 months ago his back end/legs would collapse at random times. Started maybe once a month, then got more frequent. He would recover after a few minutes, and then nothing unusual until the next time it happened. Vet couldn't quite figure out what was going on and we didn't want to sedate him at his age to have tests run. The back leg collapses then morphed into full blown seizures which he would eventually recover from after about 1-5 minutes. We would hold his head and pet him until he recovered. The last one was his last and as I held him and petted him, I felt his heartbeat getting fainter until it stopped. We don't know what caused these back end collapses and eventually seizures--I assume they were related-- and probably would have done more tests had he been younger.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post

SkiDeepPow, in regards to that head rubbing, it doesn't seem too strange to me. My parents have a tiny dog who does that all the time when he is excited and has done it for a long time. I think he's just trying to itch the side of his head/wipe anything off his face onto the couch.
    Yeah i know, it was just kind of funny to watch

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Don't know about the meloxicam but this is the glycoflex we give our guy that has helped him a lot: https://www.vetriscience.com/index.p...il&p=900569120

They have it on Amazon. Hope it helps.
    That's the same product we've been using with our pooch, and it seems to help him.

Our guy is a shelter dog, so we don't know his age for sure, but he might be about 12. He's definitely slowing down, has arthritis and mild lar par, along with the rear leg atrophy that skideeppow is seeing in his dog. He still gets around pretty well most of the time, but occasionally loses his balance and has trouble getting up on smooth floors. I probably would have been happier if I hadn't read this thread.

Anyone have a link for the Meloxicam?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Our little guy died in my arms last week as we were about to take him outside for a walk. He would have been 16 in July, so he lived a nice long dog life.

About 5-6 months ago his back end/legs would collapse at random times. Started maybe once a month, then got more frequent. He would recover after a few minutes, and then nothing unusual until the next time it happened. Vet couldn't quite figure out what was going on and we didn't want to sedate him at his age to have tests run. The back leg collapses then morphed into full blown seizures which he would eventually recover from after about 1-5 minutes. We would hold his head and pet him until he recovered. The last one was his last and as I held him and petted him, I felt his heartbeat getting fainter until it stopped. We don't know what caused these back end collapses and eventually seizures--I assume they were related-- and probably would have done more tests had he been younger.
    I'm sorry to read this timber.. condolences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I'm sorry to read this timber.. condolences.
    Thanks Brit. He was a good dog: never chewed through any drywall or tried to eat the cat. Although we accept we'll likely outlive them when we get them, like iceman said and you know as well, it never gets easier.

Yeah sorry to hear that man. Dogs just don't live long enough. Lily is 14 and creaky but otherwise doing well but it won't be too long. Hook is 11 anda Bernese mix, the Berners don't last long but we're hoping the other half (his mother was an Australian cattle dog) keeps him going for a while yet. The other two are quite a bit younger. Bode's a little mix of some sort, like Aussie shepherd or something. He's such a pain in the ass he'll probably live to be 50.

Thanks ice. I hope yours all live long lives and when their time is up go as peacefully as mine did.

I have a lot of respect for vets who must have to deal with euthanasia cases all the time. And on the other hand there are the poor animals that, unlike everyone here in this thread who loves and cares for them to the end, are neglected and suffer their whole lives. If I come back as a dog, I want one of you guys to own me.

If I come back as a dog, I want one of you guys to own me.
    I will gladly swat your nose with a rolled up newspaper.

Sorry for the loss. I have a 13 year old Golden, Norman is the perfect dog, but I know his time is limited.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I have a 13 year old Golden, Norman is the perfect dog

That is indeed part of how he got his name. I thought it would be cool to have my dog walk into a room and everyone say "Norm!"

He also is named for Spiny Norman.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Spiny Norman.
    Python?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Python?
    According to Dinsdale Piranha, yes.

im putting my guy down tomorrow. He has taken a turn for the worse and can barely move. Vet coming to the house.

sorry to hear that, skideeppow

Yeah sorry mang. Tough time.

I got one I'm 1500 miles away from and I just heard he's not acting right the past couple days. Hopefully all is well

That is tough. When I took my lab in the vet and the vet tech were great so I hope your vet will be as understanding as mine were with me.

Sorry to hear that SDP.

Hug him tightly tonight.

That's rough. Wishing peace for you and yours, skideeppow.

Sorry to hear about this, SDP. My wife and I have gone through this a few times. It’s always a heartache and a tough decision to make.

All the best SDP as you get through this. Remember all the good times you had together.

Thanks all

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4419.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	265917
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1977.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	933.5 KB 
ID:	265918

That second one is a great pic. My girl is going through the same kind of decline, and I know what will be coming in the short term. You have to think of it as a final kindness, heartbreaking as it is.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen1978 View Post
    Linky to the glycoflex and meloxicam? As in which ones to get. My pit is 15 years old last month and getting pretty weird in her back passenger side. Like her toes dont work. Some days its worse than others.
    My vet did this test with my ex Shepard’s rear paw. He flipped it so he was standing on his toes, the dog should snap his paw forward. If he doesn’t, he’s got some kind of nerve damage that unfortunately gets progressively worse.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Vibes brutha