Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Look into what your current gross income is compared to the AGI limits for ACA subsidies. The "subsidy cliff" is huge this year, and likely will be next year. By getting an HSA-qualified plan and maxing out contributions I was able to get my AGI below the threshold and cut my out-of-pocket premium by about 85%, with basically 100% of the difference going into the HSA.
    That is smart!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

check this shit out:

one of the things i do is look in on mom, she is fine and 76. we are helping a neighbor, who is going through a rough time(44 yr divorce, lazy husband took half her money, only sister dies at the same time, hates her job etc, rough for her)

so my mom forgets that her 15 yr old dog is outside, its 100. they get her inside barely alive, get cold towels on her. betty is trying to get water in her, the dog is barely with it and clamps

her finger has a couple nice scrapes, she heads to the local first stop, they bandage it. thankfully my mom or her did not light the neighborhood up(911 etc)

betty works at st peters in albany ny in the cath lab, heart surgery for smokers etc, a never ending assembly line of them apparently..

she goes the next day to st peters, apparently there is an infection, they give her an iv, and i would assume antibiotics

they admit her, and she has been there for 2 nights, no stitches needed. admitted for 2 nights. they may keep her longer. no stitches.

huh. huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    That is smart!
    Working out pretty well for now, as long as full ACA repeal stays dead. There's some risk; my old grandfathered pre-ACA plan had a $5k deducible whereas the new one is $12k (the fuckin' nerve on these people, but I digress). But, if everyone can stay reasonably healthy I'll have $10k-12k in the HSA by the end of next year and be sitting pretty good. All that money would have essentially been lit on fire had I stuck with the old plan.

You can also use IRA contributions to bring your AGI down below the threshold. An additional bonus was that my insurance co. was raising my rates every year on the old plan. They're going to continue to do that now, but the subsidies will increase commensurately.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Let's include state/provincial taxes.

$203K CAD with BC as the province https://simpletax.ca/calculator
    Taxes: $70K or 35% avg

$154K USD with CO as the state (single no exemptions) https://goodcalculators.com/us-salary-tax-calculator/
    Taxes: $45K or 25% avg

BUT HOW MUCH IS TAKEHOME PAY DIFFERENCE?

$8K USD difference in takehome favoring the American.... except to do the numbers right you have to adjust for median income (10% higher in US) not just exchange rates, which gives the American another $11K USD after taxes.

$19K USD buys decent insurance in the US for most people most places. For reference a Silver ABCBS HMO plan for Denver for 36 y/o male nonsmoker on the exchange has an annual premium of $6k (no subsidies) with $7k max out of pocket. But if they have an equivalent Silver PPO from a decent employer, they'll have an annual premium $1k with a $3k max out of pocket.
    If you want to adjust for median income you should start with Median income:

BC - 76770 or 58,165usd. - https://www.welcomebc.ca/Choose-B-C/...come-and-Wages (I just picked first google results here so meh - it is from around the same period as the Colorado number I found)

Col - 58,823 - https://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/09/...ian-income-up/ (same as above)

Using those calculators for an employed individual - BC'r has 58,450 left over 44,285 usd - Coloradan - $45,900

So the Median guy in Colorado has and extra $134 a month to pay for health care. Is that possible? I am asking because I have no idea what health care costs - just that it is probably a lot.

More importantly, according to the only index I remember from an entire economics degree - the BC Canadian can get 8% more for their dollar than the exchange rate suggests:

https://www.economist.com/news/2018/...-big-mac-index

Look - comparing taxes is probably not the best way to go. BC is 3 times the size and has a million less citizens to pay taxes - of course it is going to cost more to govern. I live a 14 hour drive from the nearest major urban center and I demand healthcare, paved roads and the like. That crap is expensive to get to the upper Suskwa you know.

But it is interesting to look at the numbers.
    Last edited by LHutz Esq; 07-17-2018 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Small town Idaho hospital.

Fair Warning: this link is gross:

https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/pol...604737341.html
    The pictures or the spelling and grammar?

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    °”rale, vato!

turns out it was lymph, still..

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    I live a 14 hour drive from the nearest major urban center and I demand healthcare, paved roads and the like. That crap is expensive to get to the upper Suskwa you know.

OTOH its only a 45 minute drive to Skeena catskiing up the Suskwa
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It's really no that easy. Paging Danno....

Look into what your current gross income is compared to the AGI limits for ACA subsidies. The "subsidy cliff" is huge this year, and likely will be next year. By getting an HSA-qualified plan and maxing out contributions I was able to get my AGI below the threshold and cut my out-of-pocket premium by about 85%, with basically 100% of the difference going into the HSA.

yeah, no subsidies for me, the dental company I work for pays me too much for working sixty hrs a week
    looked into it
    I don't screw around w health insurance, have a pretty good plan, like really good, low deductables, out of pocket bs, the only screwed up thing is I had a steller stellar plan, better than what I have now five ten years ago that was 1/3 of the cost I pay now, gotta pay to help keep fat unhealthy people ticking, then again I buy the real nice plan because I hurt myself alot and get the random diseases and shit

welfare is easy, show up ask for the gov't to pay your way and your all set
    already got my plan together for disablity, bad back, bad knees, mentally unstable, boom pay check for uncle sam

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    welfare is easy, show up ask for the gov't to pay your way and your all set
    already got my plan together for disablity, bad back, bad knees, mentally unstable, boom pay check for uncle sam
    The average SSDI recipient receives $1200/month. The absolute maximum you can get is $2700/month, which still isn't exactly living high on the hog. The disability standard is so strict that fewer than four in ten applicants are approved for SSDI benefits, even after all stages of appeal. Once you go on SSDI, you can never legally work again. If you exaggerated or outright lied about your level of impairment, or continue to work under the table, you are now guilty of felony fraud punishable by six-figure fines and years of jail time, plus possible civil penalties. If you do manage to receive benefits you are subject to continuing disability reviews (CDRs), so you will have to keep up your lies in perpetuity. Have fun explaining how you blew your knee out skiing at your CDR.

Hillsborough County, Fla., has suspended four fire-rescue medics for refusing to give a black 30-year-old woman suffering stroke symptoms a ride in an ambulance.

According to the victimís mother, she and her daughter, Crystle Galloway, were told they couldnít afford the ambulance ride. Galloway had just given birth to baby via a cesarian section five days before.
    https://www.theroot.com/mother-says-...ZyiQP99DXQJdH2
    Bronson Carbon frame for sale: Size Large