Hmmm... just finished my latte and bagel with smoked salmon cream cheese

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8609.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	253.7 KB 
ID:	241077
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Individual intolerances aside, at this point there is overwhelming evidence that coffee is good for you.

I take omeprazole, but I have a hiatal hernia. I don't take it, I get heartburn. I could get surgery, but that has its own risks. I could live like a monk, but I don't want to.

You want to drink coffee that bad, take the pill.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Guess I should try tea.
    I like that Morning Thunder from Celestial http://www.celestialseasonings.com/p...orning-thunder
    english breakfast teas are also good
    since I've been doing black coffee more, I realize it makes subbing in black tea even easier for me
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    I take omeprazole, but I have a hiatal hernia. I don't take it, I get heartburn. I could get surgery, but that has its own risks. I could live like a monk, but I don't want to.

You want to drink coffee that bad, take the pill.
    how long have you been on omeprazole? I've had heartburn/acid reflux since last October when I over-served myself at a wedding. went on omeprazole for a bit, got better. went off then got worse again. saw the doc a few times. back on it now and had an endoscopy done 2 weeks ago. waiting on biopsies but sounds like nothing too major other than a hiatal hernia. I gave up coffee, eating late dinners, and have cut back on the alcohol some.
    the coffee bit has been easier than I thought (after the first week). I still sneak a cup on wknd mornings if I need to. i'm guessing I need to go off booze for a bit too but that will be ALOT harder.

has anyone tried/had any luck w/ low acid coffee? I also heard cold brew is better for the gut too....?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Taking a drug so that I can take another drug is not a smart thing in my book.
    I can't disagree with this approach. I've been going to a functional medicine doctor for quite a few years now - dealing with root causes instead of taking drugs.

Anecdotal (of course), so take this for what it's worth.

My wife had terrible acid reflux and GIRD. She was on Zantac and Reglan (remember those ads warning about tardive diskinesia?). Anyhow, this was back in 2011, before people started to get hip to apple cider vinegar. Our functional guy put her on an ounce of apple cider vinegar before each meal. Within a couple of months, she was off both drugs. A short while later, she started supplementing with HCL (yes! HCL).

Yeah ... green tea never did it for me ... maybe as a substitute for an afternoon jump, but in no way could I get going in the morning with it. I've "quit" coffee on several occasions (for 3-6 months at a time), doing the green tea thing. As soon as I got back on coffee, I started to get shit done again.

I love the guys who make proclamations based on their individual metabolism.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 07-10-2018 at 02:39 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Green Tea is actually worse for GIRD, does something to relax the sphincter on your stomach, tannins increase acid, and it is pretty acidic. I kicked coffee for a few weeks then started back with bulletproof coffee. Seems to work pretty well for me, coconut cream knocks the pH down I think. I also started sleeping on a ramp pillow (Medcline) and it helped more than anything else. I don't use it every night, but as needed. I haven't had to take meds for a while now.

Kicking coffee sucks

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    how long have you been on omeprazole? I've had heartburn/acid reflux since last October when I over-served myself at a wedding. went on omeprazole for a bit, got better. went off then got worse again. saw the doc a few times. back on it now and had an endoscopy done 2 weeks ago. waiting on biopsies but sounds like nothing too major other than a hiatal hernia. I gave up coffee, eating late dinners, and have cut back on the alcohol some.
    the coffee bit has been easier than I thought (after the first week). I still sneak a cup on wknd mornings if I need to. i'm guessing I need to go off booze for a bit too but that will be ALOT harder.

has anyone tried/had any luck w/ low acid coffee? I also heard cold brew is better for the gut too....?
    Maybe 2-3 years? I tried to stop, but the reflux comes back. My doc is convinced it's fine to take long term. I've read stuff that says it's bad, some that say it's not so bad. I am in decent shape, not overweight and have had the same eating/drinking habits for 3 decades. The armchair doctor in me thinks it's the hernia. It just doesn't pencil out that all of the sudden I have more acid production.

And it seems like classic American medicine. "Hey GiBo. You have a bad stomach sphincter so the normal acid produced in your stomach is going into your throat. We could fix it with a pretty simple surgery, but that costs us a lot of money. So why don't you take these big pharma pills that stop your acid production instead? We're not really sure what the consequences are long term, but hey, my administrator is happy, so here's your script."

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    i haven’t done it old school for a couple years now
    noticed that i piss and cough far less than before
    the only problem with bong hits and coffee is your on your fifth donut by 10am and all your thinking about is what businesses are giving out free donuts today or if I can slide through a hotel continental breakfast without being noticed then you realize that you haven't gotten shit done and it's almost lunch but you just ate for free at least

inhalers help with the cough
    and pissing is good for you as long as it's clear and not dark yellow means the shit is flowing

I find the am hit helps soothe the stomach
    skid luxury

Morning thunder lol. That is a great name.
    Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    I like that Morning Thunder from Celestial http://www.celestialseasonings.com/p...orning-thunder

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Maybe 2-3 years? I tried to stop, but the reflux comes back. My doc is convinced it's fine to take long term. I've read stuff that says it's bad, some that say it's not so bad. I am in decent shape, not overweight and have had the same eating/drinking habits for 3 decades. The armchair doctor in me thinks it's the hernia. It just doesn't pencil out that all of the sudden I have more acid production.

And it seems like classic American medicine. "Hey GiBo. You have a bad stomach sphincter so the normal acid produced in your stomach is going into your throat. We could fix it with a pretty simple surgery, but that costs us a lot of money. So why don't you take these big pharma pills that stop your acid production instead? We're not really sure what the consequences are long term, but hey, my administrator is happy, so here's your script."
    Going on 8 years now, beginning to wonder about the chronic rash condition, but ......
    No coffee but lots of strong black tea (won't touch green), moderate to mod+ alcohol, stack Tums on top of the PPI at least once on average sometime after midnight every night
    Wicked GERD/hiatal hernia runs in my family: Dad died of gastro-esphegeal cancer associated with his early onset HH, brother just had the hiatal hernia surgery, but my endoscopes, while not pristine, have stayed negative enough to keep me keepin' on. It's a little early yet, but the HH surgery seems to have been a good option for my brother - no more meds. moving to France and drowning himself in wine. It was his first surgery, so he whined like a baby, but compared to what I've already been through it sounded like a cakewalk.

Cold brew (overnight in the fridge style, no hot water used) is amazing. Especially with a bit of cream. Cold brew just tastes so much smoother, less bitter, less acidic.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

While I was pregnant I had terrible heartburn, especially the last 3 months. Anything triggered it and I had to get a RX for the really bad days. Never had it since or before.

And fuck giving up coffee, keep trying suggestions.

Sent from my moto x4 using TGR Forums mobile app

When I can't get coffee popping a vivarin and some cold water works pretty dam good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

X2 for cold brew. If done well, far less acidic.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    That's certainly your decision to make. But now you have an alternative so you can quit whining about it.
    Bunny whining is one of those little things that makes me know the Earth hasn't spun off its axis.

Hump day

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7932.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	661.9 KB 
ID:	241142

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

better than nothing. i'm still fighting jetlag and pollen has been kicking my ass since i got off the plane so very little sleep.Name:  1531315506938.jpeg
Views: 313
Size:  58.8 KB

Less pocket meats, more pocket veggies! Not that I'm any good at it but I do find that having a generically more "healthy" (more veggies and lean meats, fresh stuff, low grease/fat) diet tends to help buffer against getting heart burn when I eat "trigger" foods like pizza. Sounds like you tried that but just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Look, I found a picture of mud.

Woah! OK, so 100 miles/week on that thing isn't all that impressive now is it? I mean, with a wheel that big, can't it go like 100 mph? I know my He-Man big wheel could do about that, though eventually, the front wheel would split down the middle, leaving two independently pedalable discs, at which point I could hope to upgrade to the General Lee version. I also like the old timey shoes to go with the old timey bike.

I also think that park is on the South Side of Chicago and I've been there. Maybe.

some slack country heart burn remedies:

-chew on something and swallow your spit. Gum is obviously the best but i've used sticks, paper, whatever.

-baking soda+water (make sure your stomach is empty or dont use a lot of baking soda)

-Eat a little toothpaste. Get a good bit of water or spit and slosh it around in your mouth to a froth and swallow. Don't be a fucking moron and eat the fucking tube, eat less than you would use to brush your teeth.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!