Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Probably 5-6 years. If I stay on the pills, major heartburn is rare. Even with the pills I get minor HB about once or twice a week .

I haven't really done much altering of my diet. I eat fairly small dinners as it is and it's typically 3 hours before bedtime. If I skip the pills, I get the sore throat in morning and heartburn all day.

It's odd to me that the cause seems to be the HH, but the solution is just to reduce the acid (that my stomach needs for proper digestion) so the reflux doesn't hurt as much.
    It's the acid that damages the esophagus. Currently there are two options--reducing the acid with medication or preventing the reflux with surgery. There doesn't seem to be any harm from long term acid reduction. People can still digest normally. While there is no medication that is perfectly safe no matter how long it is taken, proton pump inhibitors are safe enough to be sold OTC. Surgery has risks and complications too. As far as what the current state of the art is on the indications for surgery I'm not up to date as I said.

Long term PPIs are absolutely not good for you. Find ways to minimize the damage rather than using a buffer that will cause long term problems from their use.

Here's a good summary of the facts on PPI long term use, see especially the first table. Read it and decide for yourself.
    https://www.gastrojournal.org/articl...623-8/fulltext
    Certainly chronic use should be under medical supervision and monitoring.
    Unfortunately, like almost anything the risks of ppi's are highest in the groups at highest risk for surgery--the sick and elderly.
    A comparison of medication vs surgery is here. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26544951 Don't try to read the abstract, just skip to the end.
    The risks of diet and behavioral modification--timing and size of meals, elevation of the upper body are none.

None of this Benny can't take an occasional PPI if he really wants an occasional cup of coffee, but if he is refluxing all the time with or without caffeine he should see a doctor.

Good reads thank you. I used to spend all my reading time on articles and books surrounding pharmacology. Gives me a little scratch on a itch I have.

Recommend Cortisol 1.0% cream; if not enough go all the way - Floucinolone 0.1 %

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Recommend Cortisol 1.0% cream; if not enough go all the way - Floucinolone 0.1 %
    Unless it's his balls that itch in which case Lamasil.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    It’s funny how if you ask advice here on TRG, you get your balls busted. But if you complain/whine about something there’s a lot of good advice and discussion...and you get your balls busted.
    That's the joke.

Quote Originally Posted by powderdaybeatsworkday View Post
    What a horrible fate. I genuinely feel sorry for you. No coffee. Bad news.

Sex. Coffee. Weed. Alcohol.

Life would be intolerable without any one.
    Agreed

Just talked to someone who had bad reflux issues, refused the pills, since she's not a pill taker, and went, gulp, gluten free, and it worked. Still drinks a big mug of French press every morning, but, that's it for the day.

Have you tried acupuncture?

Maybe not the gluten, maybe just that shitty roundup encrusted wheat.

Hmmm... pizza, pasta, bread
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

what are some good places to buy real good whole beans on the eastaide? I havent taken much time to look, but Ive been missing my old joint back in NC so Ive been craving

Sounds goofy, but PCC organic has a deep dark roast that’s great and not a total rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Just talked to someone who had bad reflux issues, refused the pills, since she's not a pill taker, and went, gulp, gluten free, and it worked. Still drinks a big mug of French press every morning, but, that's it for the day.
    My functional medicine guy is a big advocate of at least experimenting with cutting out gluten.

This thread inspires me to take the next step and cut out grains again.

I've done it a couple of times and have always felt better for it, but it's a wagon I keep feeling off of.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

They mean it when they say don't shake. I had one of those blow up in the car on my way to Hoodoo 4/20. GrossOut had a bunch of it so I was pounding those all spring. Haven't seen any in a while though.
    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Attachment 241648
    these are good, bunny.
    first climb of this tour

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    I forgot that I forgot about this^^. What teetotaling twat wrote this? ERMAGERD, DRUUUGZ! Thanks, Nancy.

Don't get triggered, man. Just listen to Roger doing his best Don Draper and smile quietly to yourself. I'm going to get some coffee. He's right, morning isn't complete without it.

I feel like I'm on a cold brew coffee and tea bender right now. Can't get enough. Love the cold brew process.

And I am not addicted.

No, I'm not!

Oh yah! Well I can stop any time I want!

Well I don't want to right now.

Yes I could.

Yes I could.

Yes I could.

I know you are but what am I?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

trying to cut down on drinking liquors so my tea consumption has gone thru the roof as well. i realized I’m the type of person that needs to have a beverage in hand at all times
    skid luxury

GERD douche here. Fuck the pills. Hate the pills. Reducing stomach acid isn't a viable long-term fix, and has other ramifications.

I pretty much eliminated it by cutting out gluten, and completely by cutting way down on sugar intake. I can drink beer or eat wheat sporadically, but consecutive days of crap eating bring it back. But, even then, it's mild and can be eliminated with a swig of apple cider vinegar. I haven't had the heart attack horrible chest, neck, and shoulder pain I used to get in years.

Anyway, TL/DR, changes in diet are well worth it over medication.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    i realized I’m the type of person that needs to have a beverage in hand at all times
    I can relate to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Hmmmmmmmm...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8648.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	239.2 KB 
ID:	242118

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums