Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I've had a loose drain plug from an excellent small shop--only cost me a quart or so. If you think any shop has their best mechanic do oil changes think again. I suspect every shop in America has fucked up at least one oil change.
    Last time for me was when the quickie lube cross threading the plug. i noticed a slow, slow drip. Took it to my guy and he had self cutting plug to fix it. No charge.

Heard a mechanic say that the motor work he got from quickie lubes paid for his retirement.

If I was in the mood i'd pass on some more wisdom gained from experience, but now I'm not in the mood. Gonna go for a ride by the lake in the TJ with the top down.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Do I need to start a "Do Your Own Fucking Oil Changes" thread?
    It's basically the easiest possible car maintenance thing possible. Not even a one beer job.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Last time for me was when the quickie lube cross threading the plug. i noticed a slow, slow drip. Took it to my guy and he had self cutting plug to fix it. No charge.

Heard a mechanic say that the motor work he got from quickie lubes paid for his retirement.

If I was in the mood i'd pass on some more wisdom gained from experience, but now I'm not in the mood. Gonna go for a ride by the lake in the TJ with the top down.
    I’m not seeing wisdom. It’s hard to follow what your point is.

That sucks. Get mad and pound your fist, goddam it!

I install Fumoto drain valves on my vehicles, eliminating cross threading, stripped pan threads, loose drain plugs, dumbfuck mechanics.

For 30 years I did not trust anyone else to change my oil, but our new Tundra came with free yearly oil changes with high quality synthetic oil and OEM filters, which test well for flow. (Note that Tundra filters are element only; anti-drainback valve is in block). I do the oil change the alternative 6 months w/ Wix filter. The Toyota dealer seems to have duly professional mechanics, but I nonetheless check oil level and recheck every 100 miles or so for awhile after a change.

Pretty sure Mercedes dealer oil change method is top drain with vacuum. Don’t even remove the plug.

^ Thought I read somewhere several of the newer models do not even have drain plugs.

Another Automotive Question

My buddy owns a shop and is a hell of a good mechanic. Ford Explorer came in with a blown engine, roughly 60k miles on it. There was literally a hole in the block. He asks the owner when his last oil change was... owner plays dumb, turns out that motor ran for 60k miles without a single oil change.

You’re truck is fine. Make them clean the shit out of it though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    owner plays dumb, turns out that motor ran for 60k miles without a single oil change.
    owner is dumb

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I’m not seeing wisdom. It’s hard to follow what your point is.
    I find a good local mechanic and bring him donuts and all my work. I know who's turning the wrenches and when the inevitable mistake happens I don't screw him and he won't screw me. Two mechanics in 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I find a good local mechanic and bring him donuts and all my work. I know who's turning the wrenches and when the inevitable mistake happens I don't screw him and he won't screw me. Two mechanics in 30 years.
    That's funny. My mechanic has donuts for the customers.

Does he toss you the keys to his truck and call you when the job is done? Plug your tire in his parking area while kneeling in the rain and not want to take any money? My old one did that for me. I'm still training the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Do I need to start a "Do Your Own Fucking Oil Changes" thread?
    It's basically the easiest possible car maintenance thing possible. Not even a one beer job.
    Not as easy as it used to be on lots of vehicles. Then dealing with the old oil. It's worth the $30-$40 for me.

Dealing with used oil is easy where I live and where I have lived in the past 30 years. WA recycling centers have used oil facilities, and some auto part shops take old oil.

IME, changing oil/filters in Subies is stupid easy. Mazdas, Hondas and most domestics are also easy. Sometimes it requires getting the right oil wrench setup. Our new Tundra requires removing the skid plate, but it aint that hard.

As I mentioned above, get a Fumoto oil drain valve. You can thank me later.

Yep every auto parts shop around here takes used oil for free. Stupid easy.

The only car I've worked on that was somewhat difficult was a 1.8L NA Miata. The filter was tucked on the side of the engine down low, but behind a frame brace. You basically had to remove the right front tire and reach in through the wheel well to get it. Annoying.

My 1st gen Tundra also requires removing the skid plate which takes about a minute. NBD.

I do agree that if you have to pump the oil out from the top, that would be a pain in the ass.

I still spend that amount on an oil change, difference is I'm putting in top quality oil and filter and I know it's done right.

Another Automotive Question

Blah blah blah.
    That's nice your pops taught you to change your own oil son.

Nowadays when we earn real money we pay people to do great monkey work. I'm glad you're still young and proud but they will come a time when you say:

I am too goddamn old for this ****££work!

And pay someone to do it.
    Last edited by twodogs; 07-09-2018 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    GF went to get one of her free oil changes on her one year old truck. Purchase, not a lease, thinking long term.

Drove away from the dealership, about 6-8 miles out of town. Got to town and drove around a bit waiting for an appointment. Getting nails done, blah blah blah.

Truck chimes in: oil level low, "add oil".

She called the dealership and they came down and guaranteed it wouldn't leak any more oil. A little late for a year old $40,000 truck.

So she gets her nails done and comes home and I check the oil and it's in the hash of the bottom of operating range.

I'm fucking pissed, and now she is too. What say the collective? I think they should buy the truck back and offer a deal on something new. They sent this truck out without a drain plug, or oil filter, or filler cap, on a motor with only 20,000 miles on it. And once again, this is a purchase, not a lease.

Numerous calls have been made. Being a Saturday no managers have been available. My father was aggro about things like this, so I am inclined to be the same. A motor with only 20,000 miles should not be driven a single mile, let alone 10+ with a quart or two of oil in an engine that takes 5.5.
    If it was driven over 8 miles without a drain plug or oil filter on it, the oil would be gone in a quarter of a mile, or less. It would have serious engine damage by mile 5....

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    I am too goddamn old for this ****££work!

And pay someone to do it.
    So If I change your oil for you, I'll be paid in Pounds Sterling?

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    If it was driven over 8 miles without a drain plug or oil filter on it, the oil would be gone in a quarter of a mile, or less. It would have serious engine damage by mile 5....
    very specific... what if he only drove 4.5 miles?

Only 3 cylinders would b fried, duh.

Personally, I'd be furious if a shop returned my car with no oil, no drain plug, and no oil filter. There's no way there was zero internal damage.

OTOH, I do all my own oil changes, and X2 on that recommendation for Fumoto valves. I put one on every vehicle unless there is a serious concern about ground clearance - - they do protrude a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Yep every auto parts shop around here takes used oil for free. Stupid easy.

The only car I've worked on that was somewhat difficult was a 1.8L NA Miata. The filter was tucked on the side of the engine down low, but behind a frame brace. You basically had to remove the right front tire and reach in through the wheel well to get it. Annoying.

My 1st gen Tundra also requires removing the skid plate which takes about a minute. NBD.

I do agree that if you have to pump the oil out from the top, that would be a pain in the ass.

I still spend that amount on an oil change, difference is I'm putting in top quality oil and filter and I know it's done right.
    the obvious question in my mind is if you fuck it up is that somehow different than a shop fucking it up ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Agree with the others who said that if they just left the top cap off it will be fine.

I'd get them to wash out the engine bay since it's probably a hell of a mess. I would run this oil for the full interval. Then get an used oil analysis done (on their dime if you can) to confirm if there is some wear taking place that shouldn't be there. If the report says its clean you'll now you're fine.

As for dealer/vs. home - It's only $20 more for me to have it done at the dealership. No brainer while I have the powertrain warranty.

This happened to an ex-GF years ago. Filter and drain plug installed but forgot to put oil in. She only got 3 blocks from lube place before check engine light came on and she smartly pulled over and called them. Towed back and put in oil.

Similar story....at ~240K miles and 15 yrs ago my ford got down to 1 qt of oil accidentally and I probably drove a good 50 miles with the rocker arms chattering before I realized it (radio was playing and I was talking to passengers). Despite this and figuring damage was done I drove a further 20 miles to get home. Topped off oil and chatter went away. Still own the car with 330K miles on it 15yrs later runs fine.

Bottom line....your truck may be ok....time with tell. Good luck with the shop and trying to get some recourse...hopefully you can get something.

I've got a couple similar stories.

A buddy takes his mid 70's VW Westfalia in for some work, picks it up and begins to drive home. He got about 10km and lost power. The mechanic forgot to refill the oil and put the plug back in, the engine was fucked and required a rebuild.

I changed the oil in my Toyota Sienna. 3 weeks later I get a phone call from my wife, "the oil light came on so I stopped at a gas station <drove 15km to a gas station with the light on> and added oil, it poured out onto the ground." The oil plug had fallen out. Gas station had a plug so the mechanic put it in and filled it up with oil. There was no noticeable side effects, 100,000 km later I sold it and still see it driving around 6 years later.

So, who fucking knows if there is any damage to your engine, only time will tell.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Has there been confirmation of how the truck was returned?

Any dealer should want to avoid getting the regional guys involved enough to pony up for oil analysis. If that shows any wear and tear, a PT warranty should be sufficient to make it right. If you want to buy a new truck, this might be a good way to get a great deal on one, but no way you're getting one on even money unless the oil comes out looking like an iron slushy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Almost makes you wonder if it would have better for OP to have let the engine run until total catastrophic failure, pleading ignorance, thus leaving the dealer with no choice but to replace. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯