Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

total knee replacement surgery

TKA surgery (left knee) scheduled for Tuesday, July 10. Surgeon assures me I'll be skiing next season.

I know someone who was skiing in 3 months after a bilateral. I think a lot depends on how fit you are preop, how aggressively you rehab, and what you mean by skiing. I also know someone who broke his femur at the end of the prosthesis.
    You've probably heard this but what my wife was told for hers--both knees- was working hard on ROM but otherwise staying in bed with an ice water pump on them for about 6 weeks as I recall--might have been longer. They felt that being too active increases swelling which decreases ROM and that getting full ROM early is critical. Strength can wait.

My wife had hers done at Kaiser but preop she went to a class at the hospital in Truckee and the instructions were identical.

I saw an old instructor (70ish) at the grocery store yesterday.
    He had his done out patient last Friday. Said he walked out, same day.

Afraid I have to cry bullshit on same day surgery and walking out from a total knee replacement. Scope, definitely.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Good luck Steve!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Thanks!

My TKA surgery is outpatient. Surgery in the morning, home that evening. Statistically, no hospital stay = lower risk of infection.

I'll be using an ice water pump. Working ROM from the start, otherwise pretty much sedentary for 3 weeks, getting around inside the house on a walker. PT says working on ROM extension is more important early than flexion. Gotta get full extension early or suffer ripple effects (back, hip, other leg).
    Last edited by GeezerSteve; 07-07-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Good luck Steve

Thanks, much appreciated

My brother had a knee replacement a couple of yrs ago and it was such a good thing.
    He snowboarded the next season, which he had avoided the prior couple of yrs bc of the pain and swelling. He could run around with his little kid again too, and he lost lots of weight/ got a lot fitter so other health benefits followed the loss of pain

The recovery was also faster than I expected after the first few wks, where like you, he took it very easy, was on walker/ ice machine. after that period it really got exponentially better

Good luck, Steve! Hopefully you have some good books, mags etc lined up for your downtime. I guess books could be tough bc of the short attn span when on pain meds. will be sending knee power to you on Tuesday
    skid luxury

Thanks b-bear. Hoping I don't need opioids after the first few days. I hate the side effects and the mental fog.

MId-summer recovery kinda sucks but that's how it played out. Pain forced me to stop skiing, and then bicycling, in March. I was forced to (forever) stop running April 2017. Hiking was very painful, often to the point of disabling me, last summer, but I got out there with a clunky custom knee brace (to stop full extension and resultant patella subluxation.) Per studies, I had to wait 6 months after my most recent (of 3) steroid shot for surgery.

The good news is that I have the opportunity to watch the entire Tour de France and The Open Championship at Car-Nasty (which I played 15 years ago).

I'm looking forward to a new life without constant knee pain, pain waking me up 4-5 times each night, knee pain weaving into my dreams, skiing 2 runs then sitting out or going home. And it'll be nice to bend my knee more than 90 degress for the first time in 10+ years.

FWIW, I have patellofemoral OA, the legacy of bashing my patella on a rock in 1993 while descending from Luna Col in wet conditions at the end of a traverse of the Northern Pickets. I was lucky to get out on my own power. 2017 MRI showed a matrix of hairline cracks on my patella. My high pain threshold kept me in the game for 23 years before it progressed to the point of crippling me.

My wife is 9 month out and very pleased. Outpatient surgery is pretty standard, going to the store isn't--sounds like a scope. My wife had to stay 2 days for low blood pressure which recurred after she went home. Turned out she was unusually sensitive to opiates. You should be able to get by without pretty quickly with NSAIDS and Tylenol. Don't underestimate the Tylenol--it's easy availability and lack of side effects (as long as you don't OD) makes it easy to think it doesn't work. It's at least as strong as the NSAIDS. There's an "arthritis" version that lasts 8 hours instead of 4. Just don't mix with the opiates which probably have acetominophen in the pill. But any good lawyer knows that.

If you watch the TDF wire to wire you won't need any opiates or any other pain meds. Too bad they aren't racing the America's Cup this summer.

The guy I know that skied at 3 months was skiing groomers.

Good luck, Steve. Say hi to Mrs. Steve.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Just don't mix with the opiates which probably have acetominophen in the pill. But any good lawyer knows that.
    Scrip is for non-acetominophen opioids. Surgeon agrees with your approach of Tylenol as first line, supplemented with opioids only as needed. I'l likely supplement with CBD in the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The guy I know that skied at 3 months was skiing groomers.
    I've communicated with post-TKA skiers skiing groomers that soon, then working to off piste (although avoiding bumps). Ski season starts 4 or 5 months after surgery, so I got that going for me. A good bud has averaged 100 days/season with bilateral TKAs for 10+ years. He avoids bashing, picks his way down moguls, avoids really heavy set stuff, but gets down everything fine. AFAICT my style is a bit smoother than his (although I'm heavier). I'm teed up for mellower approach to skiing: Per my knee problems I've increased my XC skiing (which I've always loved), mellowed my touring routes and downhill line choices, and learned to pick my way down difficult bumpy lines to avoid bashing. Some of that mellowing was a response to losing my right side vestibular 5 years ago. I've been skiing like a pussy for awhile : )

You will be kicking the seeds out of a pickle in no time. Good luck!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

good to see Floyd getting along

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Afraid I have to cry bullshit on same day surgery and walking out from a total knee replacement. Scope, definitely.

This is were he went:

https://www.centura.org/locations/co...nt-replacement

Dr. Miner

Good luck!

I had meniscus repair about 7 months ago and they were saying that the knee and hip replacements have a shorter recovery anymore than the meniscus repairs - so here’s to hoping that’s true for you and you’re back on skis soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Good luck!
    Double blinded studies show 1gm Tylenol was equivalent to 10mg morphine for pain relief.

If they offer a nerve block I’d go for it. You go home w a little silastic pump. Great pain control for the first few days.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

good luck.

Sent from my SM-J727V using TGR Forums mobile app

Good luck, Steve!

I’ll hit you up for some fire road fishscale adventure when the snow is flying again.
    U.P.: up

Good luck!

2 mos out of ACL replacement here. I'm not good at sitting around the house, but it was kinda nice laying up with not much to do but watch movies read books for a couple weeks. Have also taken the opportunity to get stuff done around here that I can never get to since I'm always out biking.

Big Steve... good luck, man! One day to go. Got butterflies?

Good luck mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Good luck!
    Double blinded studies show 1gm Tylenol was equivalent to 10mg morphine for pain relief.

If they offer a nerve block I’d go for it. You go home w a little silastic pump. Great pain control for the first few days.

my wife had one of those. It's an epidural--in the spine. I'm not sure how much it helped compared to the other stuff. One thing--they didn't want her taken NSAIDs for the first few days--worried up increased bleeding>increased swelling>decreased ROM.