Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks of the vibes, wy, Brit, strad and evdog.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Got butterflies?
    A bit. I made the mistake of watching a video of a TKA. Don't do that. I'm engaged in acts of distraction today, tending to tasks including, among other things, changing the oil in the Tundra. [/tie into that other thread]

Recovery Day 1. Very sore and stiff this morning, in the recliner watching Stage 5 of The Tour. Surgery went "very well" according to the surgeon. I got #7 joint hardware, next to largest size. It took longer than expected because long time to saw off a big bone spur due to proximity of artery and nerve.

Alright! You're out! Congrats. StoneZone engage

StoneZone engage
    I'm there

Best of luck, dood! Vibes on the recovery.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Good luck, Steve. I expect you'll be out covering lots of ground soon.

Thanks for the update. You'll be Zwift racing in no time.

I want pics. Got any cool gore? X-rays?

Doc posing with your old knee joint in his hand, pretending to play it like a horn or something?

Ha ha. I should have asked him for the old parts. He did say the old knee had lots of severe arthritis. He also wondered aloud how I put up with the pain resulting from the big bone spur. I recall a few years ago mentioning to you and Mofro that I could bend my knee (flexion) more than 90 degrees -- I now know that was the bone spur digging into soft tissue. Yuck

Knee hurts like a goddam motherfucker today, as expected.
    Last edited by GeezerSteve; 07-15-2018 at 04:46 PM.

What's that in the jar on your bookshelf, Steve? Oh, just my old knee in some formaldehyde.

Excellent timing with having the Tour and a little world cup to keep you occupied
    Glad to hear things went well. sorry to hear the pain level is high

How about not so long ago when there were no pain meds, anesthesia etc? that always trips me out- then reading about how they would just give you a bunch of booze and then people would just hold the patient down. ugh
    not that they'd be doing a knee replacement but just how lucky we are to have these options
    Rest well
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    How about not so long ago when there were no pain meds, anesthesia etc? that always trips me out- then reading about how they would just give you a bunch of booze and then people would just hold the patient down.
    Yeah, I am thankful to be the beneficiary of modern medicine. Of course there were no knee replacement surgeries before anesthesia. Back then, they chopped of your leg, let it heal then fitted a peg leg

PegLegSteve

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Recovery Day 1. Very sore and stiff this morning, in the recliner watching Stage 5 of The Tour. Surgery went "very well" according to the surgeon. I got #7 joint hardware, next to largest size. It took longer than expected because long time to saw off a big bone spur due to proximity of artery and nerve.
    What a pussy of a doc. A good orthopedist wouldn't let a little thing like an artery or nerve get in his way. Don't ask me how I know this.
    What's that in the jar on your bookshelf, Steve? Oh, just my old knee in some formaldehyde.
    A civil war officer used to go to the museum at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology to visit his leg.
    Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    Excellent timing with having the Tour and a little world cup to keep you occupied
    Glad to hear things went well. sorry to hear the pain level is high

How about not so long ago when there were no pain meds, anesthesia etc? that always trips me out- then reading about how they would just give you a bunch of booze and then people would just hold the patient down. ugh
    not that they'd be doing a knee replacement but just how lucky we are to have these options
    Rest well

Speed was everything in the pre anesthesia days. The record in the civil war for a leg amputation was reportedly 19 seconds. Unfortunately the specimen included a testicle and the assistant's thumb.

Get well fast

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Speed was everything in the pre anesthesia days. The record in the civil war for a leg amputation was reportedly 19 seconds. Unfortunately the specimen included a testicle and the assistant's thumb.

Get well fast
    Was that the operation with >100% mortality?

Get well soon Steve. And good luck with rehabbing

My dad was a surgeon and a grateful patient gave him a Civil War medical kit like this one. Used to make me a little sick, just looking at it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b0db16f315b0dda4465f8bc4acbbc907.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	399.8 KB 
ID:	241216

Someone posted up a picture of Steve's new knee x-ray. Seems he's doing okay.

Name:  Hattrup Knee.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  19.4 KB

Good luck on your recovery.

Haha, I've seen that one before.

Haha, I've seen that one before.
    Whoa, wait, what?
    What happens in the over night lot at Alpy stays in the overnight lot.....

Happy healing, Steve!

That's some funny shit.

Pain is down from 7-8 with pangs to 9 yesterday to 4-5 today. I just wanted to die yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    My dad was a surgeon and a grateful patient gave him a Civil War medical kit like this one. Used to make me a little sick, just looking at it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b0db16f315b0dda4465f8bc4acbbc907.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	399.8 KB 
ID:	241216
    I have no idea what most of that stuff is for. I use a gigli saw, a twisted wire on handles, much faster than even a power saw, easy to use in tight spaces.
    Name:  gigli-handles-20-7711-std.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  6.9 KB

my wife had one of those. It's an epidural--in the spine. I'm not sure how much it helped compared to the other stuff. One thing--they didn't want her taken NSAIDs for the first few days--worried up increased bleeding>increased swelling>decreased ROM.
    We really don’t do epidurals for knees anymore. Femoral nerve block or obturator canal block.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Femoral nerve block or obturator canal block.
    Yeah, I got one or the other. They gave me a second one when I first came to. The pain after the block wore off was a motherfucker for 24 hours.
    Last edited by GeezerSteve; 07-14-2018 at 09:09 AM.

I have no idea what most of that stuff is for.
    bottom side, upper left, look like hole saws. I'm thinking they'll MAGA.

you are already doing way better than the people I know who've had total knee's Steve, congrats, and best wishes for skiing come winter.