Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

WTF is this tribute band thing?

It's really getting out of hand. There seems to be a huge market for people imitating big name bands. I know it's been around a while, but, I look at listings in clubs and small halls around here, and it's like 30-50% of future listings. For Christ sake. It's beyond seventy year old guys playing fifty year old music, now we have people imitating them when they were young. What kind of freak would be proud to say, I do Freddie Mercury on stage for money? It's like one of the final flameouts of the Boomer thing in music.

Why can't I see young people playing music? It's all fifty years old. Fuck, I don't even know what music sounded like fifty years before I was 25.

Btw, a little tribute band trivia. Just heard an interview with Billy Bob Thorton, and he was in a ZZ Top tribute band for three years way back when. It's not new.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Why can't I see young people playing music? It's all fifty years old. Fuck, I don't even know what music sounded like fifty years before I was 25.
    What does this sentence mean? Why can't you see young people playing music? They still do that, you know.

Here's some. Go see these guys:

Also, tribute bands have been around forever, Crystal Ship (Doors tribute) started in the '70s for example. Dark Star Orchestra's been around for 20 years, etc.

I know it's been around a while, but, there's so many today. Springsteen? He's still performing. It's fucking weird.
    And, I look at listings, and I see no new bands.

I know it's been around a while, but, there's so many today. Springsteen? He's still performing. It's fucking weird.
    And, I look at listings, and I see no new bands.
    Maybe no new bands play the old folks home¿
    I see relatively new bands play shows pretty regularly

Where are you?

Seattle. I saw a decent number when I lived in SLC too

The thing that’s weird is that apparently people are paying to go to those shows.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Seattle. I saw a decent number when I lived in SLC too
    Oh, well.... (Benny throws his arms up, sighs), Seattle. Of course.

I can't afford to live in a hip city, and don't really want to.

Most folks, young or old would play all originals if they could fill clubs doing their own material. Most can't fill the clubs doing originals and if you don't fill the club with customers you don't get gigs.. Not sure why so many have gone tribute instead of the typical assorted artist set lists. Might be because so many classic rock musicians have died so they aren't touring with their original lineup either. So, there is demand for tributes like AC/DC where hardly anyone is left alive or out of prison.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Why don't they just Spotify ACDC?

Oh, well.... (Benny throws his arms up, sighs), Seattle. Of course.

I can't afford to live in a hip city, and don't really want to.
    Sure, but what kind of music are you looking for? I bet you'd be surprised at what is around if you look at small venues. I go to lots of 20 -50 person shows

I used to really like Dread Zepplin

thank you very much eh?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Was listening on the radio about how the new Ontario govt (R.Ford) just kicked out proposed legislation on limiting the amount scalpers can charge. Price for tickets to see big names are already high, and then with the ticketmaster bots buying all the tickets and then reselling them for vastly more would suggest to me that one part of the equation is the desire to hear some kind of leading band, but can’t afford the price of entry. So, go to the local pub or music festival for a fraction of the price and hear a cover band.
    Been ages since I attended a concert or any major league game, and with the current cost (and distance/time for living near nowhere), I do not see that changing soon. We do go out to smaller music festivals a couple times during the season though. Love that scene.

Some cover bands are awesome. Mac Sabbath:

https://youtu.be/Jx3g-0yalV0

yeah I have volied at a lot of folk fests up here to get free admission

Just bang a few nails, move bleachers, put out garbage cans and you can get free food if you do enough hrs of voly OR just voly for kitchen duty and some nice motherly kitchen manager will keep you fed all weekend, you meet other voly folk who pass around reefers ... way more fun that just buying a ticket eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Where are you?
    Where the fuck are you? Let's see those listings.

Upper NYC suburbia.

Google the Capitol theater. Bethel Woods. Medium sized hall, Ridgefield Playhouse. Small place, Daryl's House.

Geezers.

Why don't they just Spotify ACDC?
    Because jerking off at home gets old. People are out looking for a social environment with booze, recreationals, live music, and potential hookups.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Because jerking off at home gets old. People are out looking for a social environment with booze, recreationals, live music, and potential hookups.
    Listen, I just went to a "classic rock" concert. I refuse to admit who was headlining, and I didn't pay, but, hey, wtf. She wanted to go. Headliners were both about 70, one you still hear his fucking songs on the radio after FIFTY FUCKING YEARS. Over and over and over. Wasn't that good in the first place. And, you have to wonder, does he really need the money? It's not as though he's doing new things with the old material, like Dylan. Nope. Just like the radio. FIFTY YEARS! OVER AND OVER! The residuals would buy ten homes.
    Anyway, the crowd was really old. Like, canes and walkers old. It was bizarre. So, no, not really a hookup scene. Kinda depressing, actually. This is what the Boomers became. Ugly and fat and limping. The ones who survived.

I want young energy. It can snarl in my face, but, Rock and Roll isn't old people music.

Connecticut suburbs, huh? Sounds like a cultural wasteland. Local papers list the top doctors in the area, not the top local bands to see. Different priorities but you know that.

But hey, there's a PHISH tribute bland playing nearby!!! Fuckin' gross, ha.

Phish is fucking gross.

Cultural wasteland. Sure. Highest concentration of money and educated in the country. International trophy city an hour away. Many museums scattered about in the woods. Where do you live? Denver?

Listen, I just went to a "classic rock" concert. I refuse to admit who was headlining, and I didn't pay, but, hey, wtf. She wanted to go. Headliners were both about 70, one you still hear his fucking songs on the radio after FIFTY FUCKING YEARS. Over and over and over. Wasn't that good in the first place. And, you have to wonder, does he really need the money? It's not as though he's doing new things with the old material, like Dylan. Nope. Just like the radio. FIFTY YEARS! OVER AND OVER! The residuals would buy ten homes.
    Anyway, the crowd was really old. Like, canes and walkers old. It was bizarre. So, no, not really a hookup scene. Kinda depressing, actually. This is what the Boomers became. Ugly and fat and limping. The ones who survived.

I want young energy. It can snarl in my face, but, Rock and Roll isn't old people music.
    Dude, you just went to the wrong show...because of a chick? You have no one to blame but yourself.

The things we do for pu.....I mean, love.

It was an improvement. My last girlfriend liked Katy Perry.