WTF is this tribute band thing?

This has to be one of the the most yacht rock songs outside cross sailing:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Adw772km7PQ

Steve Winwood- Back in the high life again

Now this is fucking boat music!! - Dennis Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Gonna have to go on record that "The Boss" is NOT "yaught rock."

"Yaught Rock" is basically the hipster term for '80s soft rock; think Christopher Cross...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht_rock
    Well he was in the last episode. But yea I pretty much agree.
    https://youtu.be/vBYMu2bpUyE

I’m on Fire is definitely on the yacht rock spectrum

Peg, Steely Dan. What a fool believes by the doobies

Gonna have to go on record that "The Boss" is NOT "yacht rock."
    Word. He’s definitely Dad Rock.

So I have a theory on this. (Most of) our parents grew up with Jazz, classic country, or early rock-n-roll and listened to that stuff until the Stones, Beatles, et. al changed the pop music world. Most of us still listen to the music of our youth, now called "Classic Rock" - yes even Nirvana and Pearl Jam apply. This resulted in our children being exposed to enough music they can relate to that there is still a demand for bands to perform that music live. The concert calendar around here is replete with old 70's and 80's fuckers still touring despite not having released anything meaningful in 30 years. Regarding OP there are many bands that for one reason or another aren't touring anymore, thus the Tribute Band stuff, like Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, and now it seems Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Read a paper - https://fairfieldtheatre.org/

Cracker, Chris Robinson Brotherhood, Donovan Frankenreiter all coming to your hood this summer.
    I think he wants to go see good music.

Cold Hard Cash is pretty good. That Mac Sabbath looks like an amazing show.
    How do the rights work with something like a cover band?

I need to find some new music. What rocks these days?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I need to find some new music. What rocks these days?
    I got what your looking for...Just in time for summer too...Try to keep up.

Three Beat Slide freshness...

Lulz, just what stucky needs
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Gonna have to go on record that "The Boss" is NOT "yacht rock."

"Yacht Rock" is basically the hipster term for '80s soft rock; think Christopher Cross...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht_rock
    Like the scene from PCU where they lock the rich people up in a room and play Starland Electrical Band's Afternoon Delight on repeat to drive them insane..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    wtf is "yacht rock"?
    Without reading any of the following posts, I'm guessing Jimmy Buffett. If not, it should be.

Betcha Springsteen has a nice yacht.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Like the scene from PCU where they lock the rich people up in a room and play Starland Electrical Band's Afternoon Delight on repeat to drive them insane..
    I kinda like that record.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    A bunch of small-time comedians made a YouTube series called Yacht Rock, where they impersonate the likes of Hall and Oates, Donald Fagen, Michael MacDonald type smooth light rock musicians. The series never took off but the name stuck to describe those types of bands.
    IDK, I think those comedians found an audience and got some chuckles, but I'm still a bit perplexed by what constitutes "taking off" for a YouTube series.

I was in Nashville a few months ago and was blown away with how many cover bands were playing. Great, talented musicians, but all covers, and very few originals. I know that's what gets people in off the streets, but man, play 1:1 or something. It was during the week though, maybe weekends are better.

Don't know if this is an outlier, but my brother in law plays in several original music projects around the Boston, MA area. Anyone ever hear of Tim Gearan? The Mother Brothers? He's active in a couple others as well and just entered in to a partnership to run a recording studio there. Most of the folks he plays with are people he's known since is Berklee days.

That said, every other year I see posts that they're playing at (enter club name)'s last night.. Those venues are definitely closing.. not sure if others are opening up to fill the void or not..

Austin, TX usually has a pretty active original music scene.. East end of Long Island as well. That's where most of my original music band gigs were in the late 1980s... My original band was called Zephyrus.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    IDK, I think those comedians found an audience and got some chuckles, but I'm still a bit perplexed by what constitutes "taking off" for a YouTube series.
    I guess I’m trying to say that it never took off into mainstream, got a deal with a bigger media production company and possibly TV/Netflix/Amazon deal. The comedians might have been victim of being ahead of their time. Workaholics, which ended up with a few seasons on Comedy Central, started as a similar YouTube series put out by unknown actors.

The term Yacht Rock has transcended the YouTube series.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    The term Yacht Rock has transcended the YouTube series.
    http://www.alternativenation.net/modern-day-yacht-rock/
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Sirius XM has a Yacht Rock channel. I listened for a bit to see what it was. 70's and 80's light rock with some occasional Sinatra and Kenny G type music. The DJ drops between the songs are funny. "We play music for people that don't have to work hard"
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

A few mentions of aging rock bands with just 1 or maybe even no original members makes me want to give a shout out to Aerosmith. They haven't done anything in the last 30 years I'm even remotely interested in listening to but they still exist and tour with all 5 original members. If they announced a tour where they'd play a set of nothing but 70s tunes I'd throw down & pay their exorbitant prices to check that out.

Hey Benny - Check out Royal Thunder, they're playing in Rochester at the end of the month. The singer's got the best voice in rock today! I saw 'em as an opener a couple years back, had never heard of 'em and was blown away. You won't be disappointed.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

I think musicians change and they want to play new materials. Some music is timeless and we pay money to hear those timeless music. I hate to see bands skip their hit songs and play new stuff.... there is no rules about their set list. Play the hits and then play whatever you want. Heck if they did a medley of hit songs, that would be alright too.

For example, primus did entire album one set and another set of whatever. That would be great.

So I can see the “tribute” bands attraction. They play the old stuff we want to hear and not the new stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Aerosmith played an impromptu free street show in Boston in front of an apartment building they used to live in, 11/5/2012. They sounded great, like really good, I was surprised.

The set list:
    Walkin’ the Dog (Rufus Thomas cover)
    Movin’ Out
    Mama Kin
    Lover Alot
    Back in the Saddle
    Sweet Emotion
    Mother Popcorn (James Brown cover) (Partly)
    Walk This Way

Encore:
    Oh Yeah
    Train Kept A-Rollin’ (Tiny Bradshaw cover)

Don’t you wish they would tour with that-theme set list?

Yeah that's a nice set.

It's a miracle those guys are all still alive, yeah they lost me after Toys In The Attic but I still love those first 3 albums, I hope they keep on truckin

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    I think musicians change and they want to play new materials. Some music is timeless and we pay money to hear those timeless music. I hate to see bands skip their hit songs and play new stuff.... there is no rules about their set list. Play the hits and then play whatever you want. Heck if they did a medley of hit songs, that would be alright too.
    Mike Score, the singer from flock of seagulls lives in Florida, and still plays clubs (possibly a one-man show). And he steadfastly refuses to play I Ran. Since the only reason people would even go to one of his shows is to hear that song, they've been known to "request" it - mostly by yelling it from the audience - which gets old Mike more and more agitated, until he goes into meltdown mode.

I'd almost endure an hour of pretentious synth-pop just to see that.

Does he still have that haircut?