Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Shop condition. They're all very decent if care is taken.

FTR, Ford 5.0L = 302/V8, 4.9L = 300/6. Speak American fer chrissake

I'm a strong proponent of renaming the English language American!
    Murica--- Fukyeahhh!!

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    FTR, Ford 5.0L = 302/V8, 4.9L = 300/6. Speak American fer chrissake
    And the 5.0 coyote shares nothing in common with the old school 302 other than displacement. See people talk like they are the same engine pretty frequently.

Where do you live? I have an 06 tundra just over 151k. Limited TRD model in NY (close to NJ) I might part with for sub $10k. Good condition cosmetically, I'd say excellent condition mechanically.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    And the 5.0 coyote shares nothing in common with the old school 302 other than displacement.
    yup

I'm curious what a working man like fastfred has to say about yuppie trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    How much?
    ~15k. Might sound crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Xtra cab F150 with the fuel injected 4.9L, MT, reasonable miles, non-rusted, non-clapped and clean title is definitely my unicorn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5EAAC313-B759-440C-AA2D-1AD84F5FEBAA.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	516.6 KB 
ID:	240829

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5EAAC313-B759-440C-AA2D-1AD84F5FEBAA.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	516.6 KB 
ID:	240829
    You selling that, or...?

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    There was a decent one for sale here about a week ago.
    I'm still partial to the 5.0 though. And I've owned both the 5.0 & the 4.9.
    Fucking amazed @ how well my bros truck runs @ 390k+
    There's a '92 that looks to be in pretty good shape for sale nearby, but it's auto. If I'm gonna drive an old beater I really want 3 pedals, but it's tempting.

So, what models had the 5.0/302?

This thread has definitely become relevant to my interests. My '06 xterra needs a new AC compressor ($1500), and my T2 bike rack is on it's last legs so replacing that with a North Shore will be another $600. Selling the X and putting that 2k into an older truck is sounding tempting. If I switch to tailgating bikes day-to-day I'll only need a rack for trips and should be able to get several more years out of the T2. Just don't want to buy a money pit.

The X gets shit mileage and I bike commute so gas mileage isn't a big concern.

There's a '92 that looks to be in pretty good shape for sale nearby, but it's auto. If I'm gonna drive an old beater I really want 3 pedals, but it's tempting.

So, what models had the 5.0/302?

This thread has definitely become relevant to my interests. My '06 xterra needs a new AC compressor ($1500), and my T2 bike rack is on it's last legs so replacing that with a North Shore will be another $600. Selling the X and putting that 2k into an older truck is sounding tempting. If I switch to tailgating bikes day-to-day I'll only need a rack for trips and should be able to get several more years out of the T2. Just don't want to buy a money pit.

The X gets shit mileage and I bike commute so gas mileage isn't a big concern.
    Pretty much most MT trucks in that era had the 5.0. There are 4.9's, but I have yet to see a 5.8 in front of a manual. I'm sure there are some though. Autos(E4AOD) from this era are horseshit, unless it was properly serviced or someone spent $$$ to fix them, and I've really only seen that in p strokes. Decent F150's are getting increasingly hard to find.

old beater .
    Easy there Hoss.

Nah kidding it is.
    Very functional camper/work truck with the 7 foot bed and high rise topper though.
    I mentioned it in passing a couple years ago and you called dibs.
    Figured I'd toss out the tease since you nailed the exact specs and I had a screen cap at my finger tips.
    This one rolled off the lot in Oct 95, so it's one of the latest straight 6's made.
    About 130k on the clock now.
    Better suited for your needs though, I drive a lot.
    I'll be renewing my truck shopping shortly and will let you know what I find.

But when this subject came up a couple years ago I thought you got something new so I figured you weren't looking any more. Shoot me a pm with contact info I'll give you the good bad ugly.

There you go Dan! '96 is the year you want in this style! And the 81" short bed is $$ compared to modern shortbeds. If you pass, let me know, I'll take second in line.
    Edit to add: the 4.9 is a great motor too.

Those really are great trucks!

What is the list of dependable runners? What are the requirements? Goes to 200K more often than not with no major repairs?

300 Fords

The 5.7 Chevy 1/2 tons from the early 2000s

V10 Fords are getting close

Any 360 Dodge

Do 4.3 Vortec Chevy's make it?

22REs

OG 'Finders/Hardbodies

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Those really are great trucks!

What is the list of dependable runners? What are the requirements? Goes to 200K more often than not with no major repairs?

300 Fords

The 5.7 Chevy 1/2 tons from the early 2000s

V10 Fords are getting close

Any 360 Dodge

Do 4.3 Vortec Chevy's make it?

22REs

OG 'Finders/Hardbodies
    1999 - 2007 5.3/6.0 Chevy V8s
    80 series Toyota Land Cruiser I6s (seen several with over 400k on original drivetrain)

Didn't the cylinder deactivation cause a bunch of headaches on the later 5.3's you listed? I don't think the 6.0's did, and that is one hell of a motor.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Didn't the cylinder deactivation cause a bunch of headaches on the later 5.3's you listed? I don't think the 6.0's did, and that is one hell of a motor.
    Those are later if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Easy there Hoss.

Nah kidding it is.
    Very functional camper/work truck with the 7 foot bed and high rise topper though.
    I mentioned it in passing a couple years ago and you called dibs.
    Figured I'd toss out the tease since you nailed the exact specs and I had a screen cap at my finger tips.
    This one rolled off the lot in Oct 95, so it's one of the latest straight 6's made.
    About 130k on the clock now.
    Better suited for your needs though, I drive a lot.
    I'll be renewing my truck shopping shortly and will let you know what I find.

But when this subject came up a couple years ago I thought you got something new so I figured you weren't looking any more. Shoot me a pm with contact info I'll give you the good bad ugly.
    Hah, your memory is better than mine, I had completely forgotten about that. PM incoming. Yeah, that's when I ended up buying the X. I've checked craigslist occasionally since then but haven't committed to a serious search. The X is the 2nd gen with the 6 sp MT and I've really liked driving it for the most part. I'm just not sure I want to sink $2k into it at this point. Between my kid and his buddies I'm spending a lot more time shuttling bikes these days. Whenever we're out with friends who have pickups I'm jealous of being able to just throw bikes over the tailgate versus monkeying with racks. Newish pickups are too rich for my blood, though.

Ford vs Chevy Reliability (in 15+ year old trucks)

I don’t know shit about the mechanical make up of trucks but growing up in N. Dakota no one owned Toyota trucks and I once asked a farmer why...rationale was around the cost of parts and the ability/ capability of anyone to fix them in a rural setting in a timely manner. Not sure if that still applies but I would think you’d want take that into consideration if it still does apply.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Right, Chevy's are 5.3. You know, the extra cabs where when you slide the seat forward to let someone out of the back and flip the seat up, it hit the horn. Yeah, those ones.

6.0 & 8.1 bowties have a good reputation. 6.2 blue oval gassers are off to a good start...knock on wood.

Autos(E4AOD) from this era are horseshit, unless it was properly serviced or someone spent $$$ to fix them, and I've really only seen that in p strokes.
    Yeah, I kinda figured that, thanks.

And the 81" short bed is $$ compared to modern shortbeds.
    Yeah, I'm not interested in anything with a bed that even a 5-6 midget like me can't sleep in. I'd be OK with a 6 footer, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    Not sure if that still applies. . . .
    AFAIK it no longer applies in western U.S. Small town mechanics throughout the western U.S. would be out of work if they didn't wrench on Toyota pickups. I saw lots of Tundras in Iowa on a recent visit there, and a local said every farm town has at least one mechanic who works on Toyotas.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    1999 - 2007 5.3/6.0 Chevy V8s
    So, early-2000s Silverado 1500s are worth looking at then? Quite a few of those around here that look to be in good shape. The back seat appears to be relatively large as far as extended cabs go.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    AFAIK it no longer applies in western U.S. Small town mechanics throughout the western U.S. would be out of work if they didn't wrench on Toyota pickups. I saw lots of Tundras in Iowa on a recent visit there, and a local said every farm town has at least one mechanic who works on Toyotas.
    Yeah, Tundras especailly, since they are made in Toyota's San Antonio plant now. By many measures, they are more 'Merican than Fords or Chevys that are built in Mexico.