Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    The whole gloveless trend comes from dirt jumpers and slopestylers trying to copy bmxicans who don't know any better because they tend to ride in very short bursts with lots of rest in between. They're not slogging uphill for 3 hours straight without any stops.

The current gloveless trend is kind of like the 5 layers of cotton tall T's with no gloves that tweener parks rats started years ago because they didn't know any better, and for the exact same reasons.
    Or

Some people live in low humidity places.

And have been riding without gloves for decades. Sorry to burst your bubble.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I don't like bolt on grips. Seems unnecessary and added expense for zero benefit.
    Added expense? At most lock-ons might cost $10 more than slide-ons, and in general there's no appreciable difference. Zero benefit? Installation requires tightening a couple screws versus dealing with glue, and removal requires loosening a couple screws versus cutting the damn grip off.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    By FAR the best bare handed grips out there are sensus disisdaboss.
    Wookid brining the lulz. Those do look promising.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    but then realized I lost the absorbability of my gloved finger to flick away brow sweat so I went back.
    That is a downside.

massive tome
    Um, thanks? My switch to climbing gloveless has nothing to do with dirt jumpers and bmxicans, and I am sure as shit not hanging my bike up for the summer because my hands get sweaty. I'm still not quite sure if this post was serious or an elaborate troll.

The whole gloveless trend comes from dirt jumpers and slopestylers trying to copy bmxicans who don't know any better because they tend to ride in very short bursts with lots of rest in between. They're not slogging uphill for 3 hours straight without any stops.

The current gloveless trend is kind of like the 5 layers of cotton tall T's with no gloves that tweener parks rats started years ago because they didn't know any better, and for the exact same reasons.

First, don't hold on tight. I know sometimes you have to, especially on technical sections of climbs, but remember to grip as little as possible whenever possible. Try not "gripping" at all whenever possible. It's amazing how little grip you can get away with. This can keep your shit dryer if you remember to do it often or make it a habbt. As good riding technique, you want to grip as lightly as possible whenever possible anyway. If you're pounding through a bunch of breaking bumps at some clapped out resort, or some babyheads and roots on some sweet tech trail, hold on less, not more. Keep your weight in your feet if standing and railing, and keep your weight in your ass if you're sitting and spinning or grinding, and steer with your hips. This allows for a much lighter grip, and for more airflow through and under your hand because you're gripping less. That dries your sweat, which actually gives you more control with less grip, and again, you should be steering from your hips mostly anyway. Yes, even when climbing.

Second, buy good quality, very thin gloves that are slightly too small when you try them on in the store. They should fit like a tight second skin, they should have flat leather/seude/synthetic as a palm. No pads or gels or other crap in the palm. Minimal seams in the palm. It should be like a golf glove.

When you bend your fingers into a "C" shape, like you would when gripping your grips, there shouldn't be any bunching or loose material in the palms. Pay particular attention to the area where your fingers meet your palm. If there is loose material or bunching, go a size smaller. If going smaller makes the finger length too short, then go to a different brand.

Ride.

Buy more when the holes in the fingers start interfering with brake or shifter operation, or when you get a hole in the heel of your hand (opposite your thumb).

If you find a brand and size that works for you, buy 3 or 4 pair. Most brands change their glove designs almost every season, even if the model name stays the same. So you'll save time and frustration buying a few pair that work for you.

Repeat.

With this kind of a really tight fit, the gloves will get sweaty, just like bare hands will, but there's very little room for sweat to accumulate. So just like your hands the gloves are constantly evaporating sweat for you. Except with sweaty gloves you maintain grip on your bars, whereas with sweaty bare skin you lose grip on the bars.

Cork grips, like the Masi grips posted earlier, get very slick / clogged with dirt after a few sweaty / dusty rides. The Ergon Cork grips are built like a Birkenstock sandle, a mixture of cork and rubber, which is great for vibration absorption, and for durability, but gets super greasy after you've got sweat and dust ground into them a few times. Cork wraps can be awesome on road bikes where you're riding at generally higher speeds, and have better airflow to wick sweat. Plus you're not constantly grinding dirt and dust (which make mountain bike grips feel greasy when mixed with sweat) into your wraps on a road bike.

If you absolutely have to go bare hand, then lock-on mushroom grips are the best bet because all the surface area evaporates sweat well, the sipes channel sweat away (some of the big mushy mushroom grips almost allow airflow under your hand when you're gripping somewhat lightly, but I haven't seen these in a lock-on format), and they won't rotate because they are lock-ons.

If your overwhelming these with your sweat so that you lose grip, pick a different time of year to ride your bike, or just a different sport altogether.

Not endorsing any brand (although ODI is pretty good at mushroom grips, they're the original IIRC), just giving you an idea of what to shoot for.
    Yup. I like the six six one slip-on tight fitting gloves. No velcro or any added bs. Nice and light weight for summer use. Fall and spring the Free the Pow glove has been good as well. The right glove it doesn't matter what grip, just the one thats comfortable for you.

I've never ridden with gloves... unless it's winter/rain season then I wear a thin pair of wool gloves.

I really like the ESI chunk grips.

Quote Originally Posted by zlatham View Post
    +1 these grips rule! I’d also look at the Deity Knuckleduster fwiw-
    Yep. If the sensus grips have a fault, it might be that they're too thin. I really really dig thin grips personally. Those knuckledraggers are a good thicker option.

They give me arm pump but folks with bigger hands might dig them.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

Wookid brining the lulz. Those do look promising.

that wasn't a joke

You should see my shoebox full of extra grips

For realz, you should try them. I don't know a single person who hasn't liked them who rides without gloves.

I was referring to the "making fun of beaterdit" part of your post

I was referring to the "making fun of beaterdit" part of your post
    oh yeah, that assbag flopping around back there is srs bidness too

We gotta have an intervention.

I don't like bolt on grips. Seems unnecessary and added expense for zero benefit.
    Pretty dry where you live, no?

FWIW, living in the PNWet, safety wiring, glued on grips was always a thing until lock-on's.
    I wont be going back. Like saddles and tires, it's pretty subjective to ones preferences.
    For me, ODI FTW, I also like Lizard Skins.

Relative to the OP, I generally pull my gloves off on climbs on hot days and keep a light grip on the bars.
    Alpental Indigenous

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Or

Some people live in low humidity places.

And have been riding without gloves for decades. Sorry to burst your bubble.
    I live in a low humidity place and have ridden with gloves for decades.

I also spend a lot of time in high humidity places and have ridden with gloves for decades.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Pretty dry where you live, no?

FWIW, living in the PNWet, safety wiring, glued on grips was always a thing until lock-on's.
    Living in the PNWet, my foam grips have never slipped on the bar and stay tacky even when wet. That includes last weekend's weekly Tiger Mudfest. But I wear gloves all the time unless I forget them, so maybe that's part of it.

That said, the foam grips I have are too big for my tiny, tiny hands. Not sure what they are since they just came with the bike, but I think I'll either sand a taper into them or get something thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Living in the PNWet, my foam grips have never slipped on the bar... Yet.
    FIFY
    Alpental Indigenous

+1 for sensus and mushrooms in general, have some variety of them on all my bikes, i hate digging in gloves and most of my riding is combined with digging

i did have a pair of the lock ons separate the outer rubber from the inner core, went to push ons and no glue, no hairspray, no problems, but thats on the dj bike which doesnt see any wet riding

like many things bike, bmx figured this shit out years ago, mtb is great at marketing over engineered bling though

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Between the fanny packers and the Canadians, I'm not sure who to trust in here .

wear yer helmet, yer pads and real gloves ( i use mechanixwear) the thickest that will still give you feel for the controls and not wear out too fast ... wear your protection for fucks sake

if you got sweaty hands chances are its hot enough that you will also have a sweaty crotch eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Added expense? At most lock-ons might cost $10 more than slide-ons, and in general there's no appreciable difference. Zero benefit? Installation requires tightening a couple screws versus dealing with glue, and removal requires loosening a couple screws versus cutting the damn grip off.
    Yes. $10 more is twice the price. I never use glue; I blast grips onto the bar with an air compressor; they come off the same way too (no need to cut them & score the handlebar).

These have been my favorite grips for a long long time:
    http://odigrips.com/store/yeti-speed-grips-1120
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Wow. I remember those from back in the early 90's. I had a pair. Good grips for the time, but really not good compared to what's out there today.

You still riding one of these too?

Does anyone make a moldable lock on grip? Iíd totally be down for that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Does anyone make a moldable lock on grip? Iíd totally be down for that.

The foam lock-ons kind of mold by compressing and wearing down into a general shape that your hand makes on the grip.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 07-06-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Wow. I remember those from back in the early 90's. I had a pair. Good grips for the time, but really not good compared to what's out there today.

You still riding one of these too?

Needs more 3D violet.

The fact that so many grip options exist means that we don't all have the same preferences...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I blast grips onto the bar with an air compressor; they come off the same way too (no need to cut them & score the handlebar).
    I havenít tried the compressor yet, but sticking a 1.5mm Allen key under the grip, pouring in rubbing alcohol and then torquing has always gotten a stubborn grip off the bar without dislocating my shoulder ...

But really ... I just use lock ons now. And I wear gloves. Those chromag palmskins look sick, might be something Iíd like just as much as the ODI-SDG grip that currently goes on all my bikes and my wifeís bikes.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    roadies figured this shit out years ago, mtb is great at marketing over engineered bling though
    FIFY
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Those chromag palmskins look sick, might be something Iíd like just as much as the ODI-SDG grip that currently goes on all my bikes and my wifeís bikes.
    I was an ODI guy for 10+ years until I got on the Chromag train.
    I have palmskins on one bike and Squarewaves on 2 others.
    I like the palmskins for barehanded trail riding, and the slight crowned shape of the Sauarewaves for my more aggressive bike that I wear gloves.
    http://www.chromagbikes.com/grips

Breathable grips?

I use SQ Lab grips on my trail/Enduro bike because they work for my old arthritic wrists. Not good bare handed when wet though, so not sharing to help the OP. Only sharing because Iím a narcissistic prat.
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Sqlab-711-MX-Grips

On the DH bike Iíve got ESI Extra Chunky. Follow their instructions and douche liberally with isopropyl alcohol before sliding on and install is very easy. Air compressor with ball inflator tip usually just floats it right off. Iíve used these on SE rainy muddy days because I forgot my gloves and they work brilliantly. No loose grip, no loose hand.
    Yes, it pisses me off that I pay so much for a slice of fucking foam. And yes, it pisses me off that they tear so easily. But I donít see an equivalent cheap option so I keep buying them. Supply And Demand 101. At the end of the day, itís a very small fraction of my bike budget, waaay behind tires and suspension service, etc. so I try not to get too hung up over it.

Last edited by jm2e; 07-07-2018 at 08:11 PM.
    If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it tubeless, I will. I got spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    FIFY
    You're right. Both grips slipping today, and it wasn't even wet. Replaced with ODI TLD lock-ons I had lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    That said, the foam grips I have are too big for my tiny, tiny hands. Not sure what they are since they just came with the bike, but I think I'll either sand a taper into them or get something thinner.
    I have had tennis elbow 5 times from trying to grip something that is too large which is IME a kayak paddle ( pretty painful ) I have not had a reoccurance since I switched to the small shaft Werner paddles and so what has that got to do with mountainbiking ?

Well IME anything I have to grip all the time to hold on to instead of it just laying in my hand could really fucked me up so I always used thin lock-on grips for the bike

also if you are working on brakes and shifters that don't come off the bar without removing the grips its easier if the bike has lock-on grips
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know