Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    What’s generally ridable after rain around Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by altabird92 View Post
    What’s generally ridable after rain around Seattle?
    Tokul East and West is the go-to spot after rain.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/tokul-east/

Yeah Tokul is the best wet riding spot. Permit required though.
    Duthie, grand ridge, ollalie all drain reasonably well too, just not quite on the same level.
    Raging, and especially tiger, are slopfests after rain.

I could use some help figuring out gear for riding in the PNW. The wife and I are planning to spend about 6 weeks up north this summer, coming from Colorado. Leaving June 3 and planning to ride Bellingham>Nanaimo>Cumberland>Sunshine Coast>Squamish>Pemberton and finally Gold Bridge/Tyax. My only experience is Whistler in august, so I'm not sure what to expect weather and trail conditions wise. Any reason not to run the MT compound Minions we already have? Are things usually dusty and blown out by then? Or are things still wet and rainy where we might need stickier tires and/or wet weather riding gear?
    Any trail systems roughly along that route we can't miss?

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    I could use some help figuring out gear for riding in the PNW. The wife and I are planning to spend about 6 weeks up north this summer, coming from Colorado. Leaving June 3 and planning to ride Bellingham>Nanaimo>Cumberland>Sunshine Coast>Squamish>Pemberton and finally Gold Bridge/Tyax. My only experience is Whistler in august, so I'm not sure what to expect weather and trail conditions wise. Any reason not to run the MT compound Minions we already have? Are things usually dusty and blown out by then? Or are things still wet and rainy where we might need stickier tires and/or wet weather riding gear?
    I think MaxTerra minions are a really good bet if you have to decide now, they will likely be ideal. Dust in early June would be pretty unlikely. Something on the spectrum from hero dirt to wet is more common - seems like a good time to do that trip. I’d just check the weather forecast right before your trip and consider stickier tires if it looks like a rainy to start. The Tiger Mountain trail system has really fun stuff these days if you have time to add something else in close to Seattle.

Minions are fine. June can be sunny or 50 and drizzle bring a raincoat and some light pants.

Well, I was looking for an excuse to hunt down some Maxxgrip Assegais, but I guess we'll put that toward some pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    How is the riding around Spokane? I can’t seem to find much info other than Beacon hill. I’ll be moving there in August from the great white north. I’m still riding my old Turner Burner and I’m not worried about being underbiked but I’m a little worried that it’ll be too much bike for the area. I’m stoked to get on some new trails. Just got back to snowy/frozen AK after a trip to the southwest where I went to Sedona and Moab and didn’t get to ride at all. Now I’m itching bad for it. Can’t even ride the fat bike here right now.
    I lived there for a year in 2011. Beacon was in its infancy then. Mt Spokane had a fun shuttled Downhill trail. There are some pedally xc trails very close to in town as well in a state park. Silver mountain Idaho had decent lift served for the time.

My friend that lives there tells me beacon is much improved if not great now. Pm me and I'll hook you up with him to get more recent beta.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by skinipenem; 05-03-2022 at 06:55 PM.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    I lived there for a year in 2011. Beacon was in its infancy then. Mt Spokane had a fun shuttled Downhill trail. There are some pedally xc trails very close to in town as well in a state park. Silver mountain Idaho had decent lift served for the time.

My friend that lives there tells me beacon is much improved if not great now. Pm me and I'll hook you up with him to get more recent beta.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Excited to grab a beer with you once you’re out here.

Basic run down:
    - Beacon/Sekani: 50 miles of trail, from super tech to mellow flow. Punchy climbs. Dries quick and mid summer is pretty much too hot to enjoy unless you get up early.
    -Mica/Liberty Lake: early summer is best 25 mile loop with some variation. Moderate climbers. Mica side has great machine built down trails.
    -Antoine peak: 10-15 miles of blue/green flow
    - Iller creek: 10 mile loop, easy climber, fun down.
    - Mt Spokane: opens late spring/early summer. 3000k vert climb up the road, several ways down. Stays cool in the summer and dirt is the best year round. Can shuttle (for now). Once Spokane has lift served biking the top will likely be closer to shuttles.

Beacon yesterday!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3770.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	714.1 KB 
ID:	415287

Classic beacon slabs

Name:	IMG_3141.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	265.9 KB 
ID:	415288

Beacon rocks!

Name:	IMG_3069.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	364.5 KB 
ID:	415289

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Re: Bikes Selection.
    Honestly, doesn’t need to be overkill. I’m on a longer travel trail bike at 140R/160F and couldn’t be happier.

Anything 120R and up will do. If you plan on enjoying Silver Bike Park you will want a bike more on the endurbro side of things.

I didn’t tap into things within 1.5 hour drive but there is some legit biking.

The Kettles :

Name:	IMG_0239.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	747.2 KB 
ID:	415293

The Cabinets :

Name:	IMG_4860.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	764.0 KB 
ID:	415294

The Selkirks :

Name:	IMG_5824.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	807.3 KB 
ID:	415295

Dirt in the PNWet

SkiLyft, I need you to show me around the Shields side of Beacon for some of those rock slabs sometime. Even with Trail Forks I get lost on that corner of the mountain with all the old road grade intersections and unmarked trails.

But yeah, I just rode Hood River and Bend, and I’ve ridden all over the place in the PNW, and I don’t feel like we’re missing out riding in Spokane. Maybe missing some XC riding but if steeper trails are your thing, we’ve got the goods.

Beacon is my favorite hill after the Leavenworth Ski Hill (which really only has 3 trails, where beacon has dozens) and Mica/MtSpo are getting new trails every year. Definitely check out and support Evergreen East when you get down here, they do a fantastic job advocating for our trail systems with the county as well as maintaining our existing trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    SkiLyft, I need you to show me around the Shields side of Beacon for some of those rock slabs sometime.
    Shoot me a PM with your number. Let’s connect!

Rode tiger saturday. was really nice to have parking lot that wasn't full! Master link was the worst I've seen it but still in pretty decent shape. ETS was the best part of the ride. Side hustle has way too many brake ruts, still fun and maybe the dirt is too soft for that much use.
    Confused why they would do some much work to make that trail and not clean up iverson. Makes me wonder how ET is holding up? I'm really tired of the long ascent/long descent of a lot of our rides (tiger/RR). Nice that there options like inside passage which is way more to my liking...

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    Rode tiger saturday. was really nice to have parking lot that wasn't full! Master link was the worst I've seen it but still in pretty decent shape. ETS was the best part of the ride. Side hustle has way too many brake ruts, still fun and maybe the dirt is too soft for that much use.
    Confused why they would do some much work to make that trail and not clean up iverson. Makes me wonder how ET is holding up? I'm really tired of the long ascent/long descent of a lot of our rides (tiger/RR). Nice that there options like inside passage which is way more to my liking...
    Tokul seems up your alley.

Im not a huge fan of super fast flow/jump trails unless they are wide like at bike parks. I though Side Hustle was running great last weekend even with the rain though- brake before the bumps then float/skip through and rail the berm/feature. Id have rather EMBA build another NOTG or CCDH personally, but they also get a lot of heat for not providing enough flow trails and intermediate friendly "modern" trails. The only thing you can be sure of as a trail builder is that people will bitch and moan. Im thankful for what gets built for me, and know that i can always go build my own trails on the plentiful DNR land in the greater Pugets Sound area.

Rumor is that the tribes and state are putting a moratorium on new Raging/tiger trails that have not already been planned/permitted. It should mean that the phase 2/3 trails already planned for can still be built, but there will likely be a future lull in the frantic trail building that has occured at those two areas over teh past 4-5years. Hopes of a galbraith-like spiker web of trails are unlikely to come true.

Really hoping that this late cold and wet spring doesnt prevent the Snoqualmie bike park from opening this year. That would be a bummer, even if its only 3 or 4 trails id hope they can open it up for a few weekends to work out the kinks for a full opening next year.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    Makes me wonder how ET is holding up? ..
    Good. I do think there's something to be said for trails that require a little work to get either in or out in terms of keeping volume down.

Maybe not the right thread, but anybody have a recommendation for a Squamish ride in wet weather?

I rode Stl'halem>Nelson>Stl'halem>MOTG>Pseudo-Tseuka on a very moist day. No features to get slicked up, everything drained well and ridden in

Most of the slab trails around Alice Lake ride well in the wet. Amazing grip even with muddy tires. Pamplamousse (not a slab trail) has some of the best drainage i have ever seen on a trail

Quote Originally Posted by altabird92 View Post
    Maybe not the right thread, but anybody have a recommendation for a Squamish ride in wet weather?
    Ride the S facing trails for slightly better conditions. Pleasure, Crouching Squirrel etc

E facing is also OK and W/N facing would be the worse off

Kettle Crest question

Hey PNW folks- we are coming to Winthrop in July for the blues festival https://winthropbluesfestival.com/ and have the Kettle Crest on our list. Any of you know conditions? Still under snow? A million downed trees? Perfect loam?

thanks!

Here in Belligham, we often say summer doesn't start until July 4th, and thats especially true this year. We have had the wettest spring on record, but even on years like this, from July to Sept, we get very, very little rain here. So its prime time if it doesn't get too dry. Almost all of us long time B-ham riders have switched over to Assegai's when we need to buy new rubber, but most of us these days, will pretty much burn though whatever rubber comes on our bikes before we switch. I'm on a schwalbe set at the moment, and its still good in everything except the wettest conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I think MaxTerra minions are a really good bet if you have to decide now, they will likely be ideal. Dust in early June would be pretty unlikely. Something on the spectrum from hero dirt to wet is more common - seems like a good time to do that trip. I’d just check the weather forecast right before your trip and consider stickier tires if it looks like a rainy to start. The Tiger Mountain trail system has really fun stuff these days if you have time to add something else in close to Seattle.
    In Bellingham, Galbriath is an obvious must stop... I also am a big fan of the Chuckanuts and a few other areas in town. Are you brining e-bikes? Some of our best stuff outside of Galbraith has pretty steep big climbs, so an E-bike is nice. Hell I dont think I have touched my Offering since I got my Repeater, as its also fun on Galbraith as well.

Well, I was looking for an excuse to hunt down some Maxxgrip Assegais, but I guess we'll put that toward some pants.
    Not required, but. they are a damn good tire for just about all PNW conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Kettle Crest question

Hey PNW folks- we are coming to Winthrop in July for the blues festival https://winthropbluesfestival.com/ and have the Kettle Crest on our list. Any of you know conditions? Still under snow? A million downed trees? Perfect loam?

thanks!
    Stuff is usually pretty good to go over there by then, with the exception of it being F'n hot! Stuff is a bit late this year with all of the late season snow. I typically only ride there spring time and fall once temps cool off and a they get a bit of moisture to knock down the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    Hell I dont think I have touched my Offering since I got my Repeater, as its also fun on Galbraith as well.

Being on an offering myself this brings the stoke!! Love how responsive it is. Switching to an eMTB eventually so the repeater vs relay have my attention. Do you miss how nimble your evil is?

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Being on an offering myself this brings the stoke!! Love how responsive it is. Switching to an eMTB eventually so the repeater vs relay have my attention. Do you miss how nimble your evil is?

No, as the Repeater has done a really good job of keeping the weight low. Plus its suspension kinematics is really good. The Evil E-wreckonging or whatever they name it is also going to be worth a look. I was going to go that route, but got tired of all of the delays, so grabbed the repeater instead, and couldn't be happier.

I'm not 100% sold on the Relay yet... I dont know if the weight savings (only a few pounds) will gain the extended range that I would want to use it for to add to the quiver with the Repeater.... but we will see, my friends at Transition have said multiple times it will blow your mind, and they are usually right... will have to ride to see. I also dont like that the Relay is most likely using a Rosenberger plug.....

^HMS feel free to shoot me a PM for trail info or if you want to store bikes not at the festival as R&B gets closer.

Some other trails you should put on your radar are Cutthroat Pass and Angels Staircase. CP is 11 miles and ~3k and a very popular hiking trail but if you can get up there on off hours it's quite nice. AS is a much longer day, 25 miles and ~5k gain with hike a bike. If it's pretty hot that may feel like a death march so take that one with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    No, as the Repeater has done a really good job of keeping the weight low. Plus its suspension kinematics is really good. The Evil E-wreckonging or whatever they name it is also going to be worth a look. I was going to go that route, but got tired of all of the delays, so grabbed the repeater instead, and couldn't be happier.

I'm not 100% sold on the Relay yet... I dont know if the weight savings (only a few pounds) will gain the extended range that I would want to use it for to add to the quiver with the Repeater.... but we will see, my friends at Transition have said multiple times it will blow your mind, and they are usually right... will have to ride to see. I also dont like that the Relay is most likely using a Rosenberger plug.....
    Here I’m just hoping Evil drops super boost from their future bikes..