Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    Assegai's are good in the wet until it gets muddy, they pack out really bad in the mud I think because there isn't enough space in the tread to shed it.

The Magic Mary is a great winter tire in the PNW.
    Which 29"x2.5ish version would you run for winter riding around Seattle in the casing that is close to Maxxis EXO? For a front tire specifically.

I ran the Addix Soft snakeskin but looks like they've changed their casing branding to "super trail" and "super gravity" so at this point who knows. The "soft" I thought provided ample wet traction and still held up pretty well, all the way through the winter and still good traction in May/June.

I just put on my last snakeskin addix soft up front as well. That tire is discontinued and the new one is super trail which is ~200g heavier. Not sure what route I will go when this one wears out, possibly just suck up the weight increase. The michelin wild enduro front is a similar tread and closer to the 1000g mark so that is another option.

Dirt in the PNWet

Are you referring to the 29x2.4 or 2.6? This is in reference to Maxxis 2.5WT - it’s hard to know how sizes compare. What rear tire do you run that with?

2.4 schwalbe is about the same as 2.5 maxxis. I am 2.4 both ends on both bikes. Might consider a 2.6 Reston the hard tail but that needs a wider rim IMO.

tiger was in prime condition on Friday.

Anyone know when new trails will open on Tiger? Super excited about both.

- Looks like they have graded an extension to Crosshaul to connect to the bottom of OTG/NOTG.

- The Summit-to-Iverson descent mentioned earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

- Looks like they have graded an extension to Crosshaul to connect to the bottom of OTG/NOTG.

The Summit-Iverson trail is DNR built and i believe a machine built blue flow trail. As of a couple weeks ago there were a few bridges left to install. With the burn ban in effect most/all machine work on trails was basically shut down this whole summer so they would have only recently been able to use power tools and machines again. I would bet that trail opens within a month. Tough to say as EMBA wasnt involved so there is no "soft opening" and less gossip getting out. Getting riders on the tread to pack it in during fall is a helluva lot better than opening fresh tread to riders during sloppy winter and spring... especially on a machine built flow trail where its super easy and unwanted to rut-out the trail bed.

i bet the crosshaul connector opens up within a month as well. That trail will make A LOT of people happy.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    The Summit-Iverson trail is DNR built and i believe a machine built blue flow trail. As of a couple weeks ago there were a few bridges left to install. With the burn ban in effect most/all machine work on trails was basically shut down this whole summer so they would have only recently been able to use power tools and machines again. I would bet that trail opens within a month. Tough to say as EMBA wasnt involved so there is no "soft opening" and less gossip getting out. Getting riders on the tread to pack it in during fall is a helluva lot better than opening fresh tread to riders during sloppy winter and spring... especially on a machine built flow trail where its super easy and unwanted to rut-out the trail bed.

i bet the crosshaul connector opens up within a month as well. That trail will make A LOT of people happy.
    Thanks! You seem to always have the insight….

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Thanks! You seem to always have the insight….
    Mostly just educated guessing based on experience and following this FB page (this and Lokuls Only are the only FB pages i ever look at). https://www.facebook.com/groups/tigerragingrivermtb/

I am always happy to blowup new legal trails haha.

Those are both going to be such great additions. Ever since I learned about that Crosshaul connector (a few years ago?) it's become my favorite route by far. Having a way back to Iverson from the top is fantastic as well. Tiger is really starting to get a mixture of trails suited for more varied skill levels which I think is really cool. I've been getting a long time ski friend who hasn't mtbed much out and it's been awesome to take him on some longer rides that aren't a constant techy beatdown the entire way.

The rains are really picking up. It might mean the end to dry conditions but it will bring some balance back to the forests.

72 hour rainfall map:
    https://www.iweathernet.com/total-ra...rs-to-72-hours

Agree on that! excited for more options, especially off the top. Now if we can just get HWY 18 traffic managed...

Any conditions updates from our friends in Oregon? We have a week or so starting Oct 25, and looking for new trail. Umpquas? Waldo Lake too late? Hood River? Mendocino?

Or just play it safe and go to St George again?

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

PSA survey: The Recreation and Conservation Office (RCO) is updating the Washington State Recreation and Conservation Plan and Statewide Trails Plan. These plans set priorities for funding trails, outdoor recreation and conservation on public lands throughout our state.

Lots of bike trails in WA are on state, not federal, land (Tiger) so this is important.

https://wa-rco-scorp-2023-wa-rco.hub...WFMVPk9Mh4cRV4

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    PSA survey: The Recreation and Conservation Office (RCO) is updating the Washington State Recreation and Conservation Plan and Statewide Trails Plan. These plans set priorities for funding trails, outdoor recreation and conservation on public lands throughout our state.

Lots of bike trails in WA are on state, not federal, land (Tiger) so this is important.

https://wa-rco-scorp-2023-wa-rco.hub...WFMVPk9Mh4cRV4
    Done and done.

Done thanks!

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

The new Summit to Iverson trail officially opened this week on Tiger. It’s a flow trail and it’s wet out so might want to get out there and put your own brake bumps in before everyone else does.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    The new Summit to Iverson trail officially opened this week on Tiger. It’s a flow trail and it’s wet out so might want to get out there and put your own brake bumps in before everyone else does.
    Or, do what the builders have requested over various media including TF and stay off it during and immediately following large precip events. Like the one we are currently experiencing.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/side-hustle/

Obviously not everyone has the good judgement requested, but those with good judgement, should use it.

Any rules of thumb for Seattle-area trails that dry out quickly or are okay to ride when wet vs ones that need to be avoided? First season up here and want to ride when it clears up tomorrow morning but not sure where to head. I know how to tell when it's "too wet to ride" once I'm on a trail, but would like to save myself some driving time and/or disappointment if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Or, do what the builders have requested over various media including TF and stay off it during and immediately following large precip events. Like the one we are currently experiencing.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/side-hustle/

Obviously not everyone has the good judgement requested, but those with good judgement, should use it.

Thanks, Dad

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    So stoked. Excited for the Masterlink -> ET -> up Preston -> Side Hustle route….

Quote Originally Posted by tuowtraws View Post
    Any rules of thumb for Seattle-area trails that dry out quickly or are okay to ride when wet vs ones that need to be avoided? First season up here and want to ride when it clears up tomorrow morning but not sure where to head. I know how to tell when it's "too wet to ride" once I'm on a trail, but would like to save myself some driving time and/or disappointment if possible.
    Tokul does the best in the super wet. Mostly because it’s base rock gravel road climbing and you can’t get too far out and up…

In general, PNW trails do well in the wet. It’s not like CA or other areas where you need to avoid the wet in fear of damaging the trails or your bike. I’m not a geotech but my guess is that our trail material has more organics and less sand/silt in the soil mix… making more supportive winter riding and less erosion….

Get after it.

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Much of Tokul dries out quickly due to the rocky dirt and SW exposure to sun and wind.

Most trails can be ridden in the wet without too much issue however.

It begs the question why did DNR open it this week if they didn’t want folks riding it this week? It’s existence hasn’t exactly been a secret

black diamond / maple valley rides well in the wet seasons. grand ridge is good in most places. tokul for sure. tiger and raging not so much.

Hit side hustle on Saturday AM with the rest of Seattle. I liked it, a lot like ET. IMHO it was too soft to be open, timing of opening really weird to me but i'm sure they were waiting on those bridges. They need to re do the first section of iverson after... finished around 1230 and haven't ever seen tiger as busy as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    Hit side hustle on Saturday AM with the rest of Seattle. I liked it, a lot like ET. IMHO it was too soft to be open, timing of opening really weird to me but i'm sure they were waiting on those bridges. They need to re do the first section of iverson after... finished around 1230 and haven't ever seen tiger as busy as it was.
    Way too soft, way too wet. I rode it Tues and it was *muah* perfection. I rode it again on Sun pm after the crowds and it was trashed. Huge brake bumps, deep ruts & mud, one new blind mud bog, people had taken down/ducked the taped off bit by the bridge. This is why we can't have nice things.