Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Dirt in the PNWet

I love the region specific threads in ski and snowboard forum, I say one for bikes would be a good idea too... and besides, if the Wasatch has one, we need one too.

For summer, let's call this thread region to be Northern Oregon, all of Washington and the Idaho Panhandle. Just like the S&S thread, perfect place to dump random stoke, conditions/road reports, plan mini-summits, etc.

Subscribed!

There was a surprising # of puddles at Tiger Mtn yesterday, but conditions were good otherwise. At this point, any day after 1 day of dry weather is riding good.

If any mags want to meet up - I'll be riding at Stevens Pass on Friday Afternoon/Evening and Saturday Morning. Look for a Orange/Silver YT Tues and a Grey/Orange helmet. Other mags will be in attendance both days as well.

Some condition/access updates as of 6/30/2018:

Leavenworth: Unseasonably cool temps have left the trails in good shape, not very dusty. Rode Freund Canyon last week and it was dry but not loose.

Lake Wenatchee: Butcher Creek Road accessing Nason Ridge Trail is washed out 3.5 miles from the trailhead. Just a heads up, you'll be doing some pedaling. Nason Ridge Trail from Smithbrook/Snowy Creek to Lake Wenatchee is fully melted out from what I could see across the valley.

Stevens Pass is riding good, they did work on the flow trails last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Subscribed!
    X2

Hope to ride with you this season.

Feel free to ping me for Methow riding conditions. Dusty but still riding well here.

Anyone ridden Silver Mountain Bike Park in the past couple of years? Would I regret doing it on a trail bike?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Anyone ridden Silver Mountain Bike Park in the past couple of years? Would I regret doing it on a trail bike?
    Depends what "trail bike". In pretty much all bike parks you would rather ride a DH bike.

The loam trails in the greater Bham area have been treated very well by the constant refresh of moisture. Below is a quick vid from a trail zone that ive spent some time at fairly recently building entrances/exits from and to the logging roads that were cut in the past few months. Sad that the top-bottom flow is interrupted now, but grateful that most of the trails lay within the no-harvest stream buffer and wont get clearcut.

Dirt in the PNWet

Tronsen ridge is pretty dusty though the flowers are still in bloom along the upper portion of the ridge. Upper Mission Ridge is in fine form. The cooler temps have helped keep the trails from getting to dusty yet.

Icicle Ridge has a shitload of trees down if anyone is considering the 4th of July-Icicle loop near leavy

Can I PNW?

I have not, but reports from a group I know real well say they had a good time on much less than DH bikes. Given their bikes and skills it sounds like there's something for everyone at Silver, so you should be able to bring the bike you want to ride and pick trails accordingly. (Obviously not first hand/FWIW etc.)

You'll be fine. It's better on a dh bike, but not unreasonable on a trail bike.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Will likely be doing the drive from Tahoe > the Gorge Amphitheater in a few weeks with the bike. Looks like the nicest route goes right through Oregon (directly throug Bend) on 97, then up to Yakima, but would like to avoid moondust riding as I can get my fair share here in UT.

What's the most reasonable green/PNW riding I can do off this route without adding too much drive time? Was thinking of trying out some of the eastern end of the North Umpqua Trail, or something up near Mt. Hood (T2T, 44 road trails?) perhaps.

I also see a huge network of roads and trails near Cle Elum, which seems pretty close to the Gorge, but the map on Trailforks is hard to make much sense of. Is that worth it for a day (or head further west?), and if so what's a good 10-15 mile route. Anything else "lush" within 1-1.5 hours from the Gorge?

Won't have a shuttle vehicle but not opposed to taking a commercial one wherever.

^^^
    Cle Elum is far enough East that it drys out pretty quick.
    That said, we've been getting more moisture through June than we have in years past so you may get lucky.

Past that, you are looking at heading over the pass to the North Bend area and the Raging River, Tiger, Tokul zone.

We need an instagram tag

I've lived in Seattle for 1 year at this point... I have been riding Tiger, Raging River, Tokul (once), Duthie (once).... Where is the next spot to go explore? I don't mind driving.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Will likely be doing the drive from Tahoe > the Gorge Amphitheater in a few weeks with the bike. Looks like the nicest route goes right through Oregon (directly throug Bend) on 97, then up to Yakima, but would like to avoid moondust riding as I can get my fair share here in UT.

What's the most reasonable green/PNW riding I can do off this route without adding too much drive time? Was thinking of trying out some of the eastern end of the North Umpqua Trail, or something up near Mt. Hood (T2T, 44 road trails?) perhaps.

I also see a huge network of roads and trails near Cle Elum, which seems pretty close to the Gorge, but the map on Trailforks is hard to make much sense of. Is that worth it for a day (or head further west?), and if so what's a good 10-15 mile route. Anything else "lush" within 1-1.5 hours from the Gorge?

Won't have a shuttle vehicle but not opposed to taking a commercial one wherever.
    There's not a lot of dust in the foothills trails around and above Wenatchee right now. Never is a ton of 'moon dust'. Mostly light dust and sand. The trails are riding great. Would be a good option for morning rides before the shows at the Gorge, it will be relatively cool until 10 or 11 even if the afternoons are hot. You could easily spend a couple days riding in the Sage Hils/Horse Lake and #2 Canyon complex trails. Mostly "flow" trails, narrow single track, very narrow in spots on steep side hills. It's fun and challenging in it's own way.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    We need an instagram tag
    Check #changeforanickel

Maybe add a PNW extension...

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post

MCKenzie Rive Trail will be the most scenic lush trail you've ever been on, it follows a blue river that goes underground for a bit, pops up in a deep pool out of nowhere, and also has some sizable waterfalls on yer way. It's an easy pedal back up the road to your car. Top part is the best, so you can duck out to the road whenever to make it a shorter ride.

Oakridge has a shuttles, try Alpine first. Very very lush, still about 1800' of climbing with the shuttle, and amazing flow. Exactly what you would dream riding in Oregon would be, with a lot of vert down.

You could also try Leavenworth near the Gorge, Xanadu trail is one of the better trails I've ever done. It's not lush though, it's pretty exposed to the sun, especially the road climb, but worth it. You follow a ridgeline down to the car and it's super scenic and cool, and a bit sculpted at the end for some extra fun after some raw singletrack.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I've lived in Seattle for 1 year at this point... I have been riding Tiger, Raging River, Tokul (once), Duthie (once).... Where is the next spot to go explore? I don't mind driving.
    Bellingham area. The 410 trails. Squamish. Whistler.

What do you like riding? Compact trail networks? Backcountry epics? Jump lines and berms? Steep gnarly DH trails?

Just rode this whole loop last Sunday as a day trip. Crazy beautiful, a lot of climbing...

https://bendtrails.org/trail/pyramid-epic-loop/

Looking for some bikepacking ideas for parts of the northern to mid Oregon Timbertrail to ride as loops this summer. Not sure I have time for the whole trip, but would love to ride a few chunks as 3-4 day long weekend trips. The difficult thing is trying to figure out what's rideable as a loop and not just out and backs.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Bellingham area. The 410 trails. Squamish. Whistler.

What do you like riding? Compact trail networks? Backcountry epics? Jump lines and berms? Steep gnarly DH trails?
    My favorite rides have one big, slow, easy climb and one long backcountry decent.

Those 410 trails look like 8mi of forest road climb to 8mi of singletrack descent... my jam right there....

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    There's not a lot of dust in the foothills trails around and above Wenatchee right now. Never is a ton of 'moon dust'. Mostly light dust and sand. The trails are riding great. Would be a good option for morning rides before the shows at the Gorge, it will be relatively cool until 10 or 11 even if the afternoons are hot. You could easily spend a couple days riding in the Sage Hils/Horse Lake and #2 Canyon complex trails. Mostly "flow" trails, narrow single track, very narrow in spots on steep side hills. It's fun and challenging in it's own way.
    Good to know, thanks for the info! Will check out those systems.

My favorite rides have one big, slow, easy climb and one long backcountry decent.

Those 410 trails look like 8mi of forest road climb to 8mi of singletrack descent... my jam right there....

Thanks!

Lake Kachess, Xanadu, the Fish Lake area up by Maverick Saddle, the Entiat zone, Capital Forest, Lewis River...

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    MCKenzie Rive Trail will be the most scenic lush trail you've ever been on, it follows a blue river that goes underground for a bit, pops up in a deep pool out of nowhere, and also has some sizable waterfalls on yer way. It's an easy pedal back up the road to your car. Top part is the best, so you can duck out to the road whenever to make it a shorter ride.

Oakridge has a shuttles, try Alpine first. Very very lush, still about 1800' of climbing with the shuttle, and amazing flow. Exactly what you would dream riding in Oregon would be, with a lot of vert down.

You could also try Leavenworth near the Gorge, Xanadu trail is one of the better trails I've ever done. It's not lush though, it's pretty exposed to the sun, especially the road climb, but worth it. You follow a ridgeline down to the car and it's super scenic and cool, and a bit sculpted at the end for some extra fun after some raw singletrack.
    Would be sweet, but I've only got a day to make it from Tahoe to WA, so a all-day ride likely isn't in the cards. And actually did ride both MRT (lower) and Alpine last August . Loved them both!

There was a big fire on the south side of 410 last summer. Reports show the upper trails (ranger, noble knob, deep creek) got pretty beat up. Lower trails are supposed to be running fine.

Thanks!