Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Top of Thompson Ridge, Winthrop area. Pete's Dragon was the highlight of this zone.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Took my dog and my SILs dog (first timer) for a ride a couple weekends back. With the upcoming heatwave it might be time to say goodbye to hero dirt and say hello to dusty blownout trail season.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Took my dog and my SILs dog (first timer) for a ride a couple weekends back. With the upcoming heatwave it might be time to say goodbye to hero dirt and say hello to dusty blownout trail season.

And too hot for doggo to run that much too I hate leaving her home but she gets the shit beat out of her when it's over 75 outside and she's exerting herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Question for the east-siders: what tires ya running this time of year? And I know there's a whole thread on this but it's also a pnw specific: picking a tire that can take full advantage of the loamy-est west-side trails, but then also have some business doing longer east-side riding over dust and decomposed granite. I just had something of an eye-opening ride coming down a long descent around chiwaukum that started out a sandy granite slab-fest, ran long and fast into a melt-swamp, then finished with a tacky jump line. Like the full gamut. The heck is the right pick for that range...
    AsseGuy up front, DoHeR in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Question for the east-siders: what tires ya running this time of year? And I know there's a whole thread on this but it's also a pnw specific: picking a tire that can take full advantage of the loamy-est west-side trails, but then also have some business doing longer east-side riding over dust and decomposed granite. I just had something of an eye-opening ride coming down a long descent around chiwaukum that started out a sandy granite slab-fest, ran long and fast into a melt-swamp, then finished with a tacky jump line. Like the full gamut. The heck is the right pick for that range...
    I haven’t ridden assagai, but DHF/DHR has taken me from pnw wet winter to the desert and back many times.

Anyone have a good 15-20mi route in Teanaway/Roslyn? I’ve never ridden up there…

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Anyone have a good 15-20mi route in Teanaway/Roslyn? I’ve never ridden up there…
    Rat pac then back up to the ridge and hit beer can to roslyn DH.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    Rat pac then back up to the ridge and hit beer can to roslyn DH.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
    Fuck that. Only suckers ride that road climb back up. You finish with Rat Pac and ride the pathway back to the car.

Nick, ride Ewok up, hit Grotto, then back up Ewok and down Rat Pac.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I haven’t ridden assagai, but DHF/DHR has taken me from pnw wet winter to the desert and back many times.
    That's what I have on my rowdy bike. Ended up throwing a DHF for the front of my other rig too.

Vittoria Mazza is a very similar tread pattern to the DHF … I’m finding it feels like it digs in deeper than the DHF and feels like it rolls a tad bit slower than the DHF. I’ve used it on only 3 different types of soil so far (dry loam, DG loam mix, and clay loam mix) and it’s been very predictable and rails on corner blocks similar to the DHF. It’s worth looking into if you aren’t ready to go with the single Ass / DHR combo or the double Ass combo but want just a touch more dig in looser soils than the DHF gives.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Looks like there is good dispersed camping with a view up high on google satellite just beyond Mt Ashland, anyone know if that's true? Coming though there next week.

Dirt in the PNWet

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Looks like there is good dispersed camping with a view up high on google satellite just beyond Mt Ashland, anyone know if that's true? Coming though there next week.
    Wrong thread (Ashland is not in the PNW, as the Rogue Valley has a different climate than the Umpqua River drainage - which I see as transitional - and the Willamette where I’d say the PNW really starts … but there isn’t a better thread on TGR so I’ll answer your question anyway!

There is a small First Come First Serve free campground a bit past the ski area that has about 4 walk in tent sites (park a 30-60 foot walk away), and 3 or 4 drive in sites. Past this there are some turnouts and pull outs that work well for van/truck camping but aren’t really great for tent camping, and I wouldn’t pull a trailer back there, bumpy and no turnarounds. The entire area is also very wind exposed (you are at 7000’ with no barriers to the south so there is a ton of fetch and prominence) and I really would not recommend tent camping if you aren’t lucky enough to get a spot at the CG.
    A couple miles down the main road is the Grouse Gap Picnic Shelter at the PCT, and there are some walk in tent spots that are about a 100’ walk from the car. You really need to anchor tents anywhere up there due to the wind.

If going on a weekday probably can get a site but risky on weekends. Paying for a site at Emigrant Lake or Ashland Creekside Campground would be your alternatives.

No dispersed camping allowed in the Ashland watershed (north side of the ski area and Siskyou crest along that ridgeline) I believe.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Also if you are thinking about riding there - conditions aren’t great right now. Hot as hell below Bull Gap, dry and dusty, the usual awful braking bumps on Catwalk and Time Warp …

But hey not too many places you can do 5k’ descent shuttles.

Oakridge is still riding really well.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Wrong thread (Ashland is not in the PNW, as the Rogue Valley has a different climate than the Umpqua River drainage - which I see as transitional - and the Willamette where I’d say the PNW really starts … but there isn’t a better thread on TGR so I’ll answer your question anyway!

There is a small First Come First Serve free campground a bit past the ski area that has about 4 walk in tent sites (park a 30-60 foot walk away), and 3 or 4 drive in sites. Past this there are some turnouts and pull outs that work well for van/truck camping but aren’t really great for tent camping, and I wouldn’t pull a trailer back there, bumpy and no turnarounds. The entire area is also very wind exposed (you are at 7000’ with no barriers to the south so there is a ton of fetch and prominence) and I really would not recommend tent camping if you aren’t lucky enough to get a spot at the CG.
    A couple miles down the main road is the Grouse Gap Picnic Shelter at the PCT, and there are some walk in tent spots that are about a 100’ walk from the car. You really need to anchor tents anywhere up there due to the wind.

If going on a weekday probably can get a site but risky on weekends. Paying for a site at Emigrant Lake or Ashland Creekside Campground would be your alternatives.

No dispersed camping allowed in the Ashland watershed (north side of the ski area and Siskyou crest along that ridgeline) I believe.

Thanks man. I saw you posted last night here and thought 'Schralp probably knows exactly where to camp' and....perfect info!

If Ashland is blown maybe we will spend 1 day instead of 2 there and ride a day instead at Mountain of the Rouge area, then go to Oakridge, we planned on riding Oakridge most of next week anyways. Good info, once again!

Wrong thread (Ashland is not in the PNW, as the Rogue Valley has a different climate than the Umpqua River drainage - which I see as transitional - and the Willamette where I’d say the PNW really starts … e.
    Lolwut? Didn't you know? PNW now begins in the bay area

In other news, carting around with Mrs.Doc eyeing Oakridge. I'm running my downcountry setup as a handicap and she's a skittish but able blue rider. Any suggestions?

In Oakridge the trails aren’t all that difficult, so it’s almost easier to exclude trails …
    Avoid Eula, Lawler, and Moon Point (Young’s Rock) - they all have portions that are steep, rugged, and exposed to fall hazard.

I had some friends come up from Tahoe, guy’s wife is a very capable but not aggressive rider, and after a number of days the sidehill exposure really started to add up and get to her.
    Alpine trail isn’t difficult, it has a little bit of chunder and shale here and there, and a lot of high speed and shale sections with big sidehill fall hazard. It does require some fitness with a few short but punchy uphills.
    Larison is easy and can be extremely fast, one steep roll, and a fair bit of sidehill and blind corners. It does have the easiest pedal climb of any Oakridge trail if not shuttling (via Larison Rock Road).
    Hardesty slightly less speed and exposure than Larison but also can be balls to the wall fast if you are feeling on point … it’s a bitch to pedal though, shuttle highly recommended on this one.

Dead Mountain is an intermediate flow trail with not much exposure.

North Fork and Middle Fork are nice super scenic XC trails.
    South Willamette is a fitness test trail, just constant up and down in and out of NL ravines.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Start in Roslyn. Up Ewok to Pauls. Pauls to Brass Monkey. Up Mixtape to Pauls. Pauls to the viewpoint Rock. Red Line (beer can) to middle traverse to Grotto.

Pauls connects Rat Pack to Brass Monkey via the ridge now. Shouldn't have to climb any roads or double track.

Edit: just saw how long ago the original post was. It is full-on moon dust right now. Also, tons of mastication work done earlier this summer, so most of the trails listed have some evidence.

In Oakridge the trails aren’t all that difficult, so it’s almost easier to exclude trails …
    Avoid Eula, Lawler, and Moon Point (Young’s Rock) - they all have portions that are steep, rugged, and exposed to fall hazard.

I had some friends come up from Tahoe, guy’s wife is a very capable but not aggressive rider, and after a number of days the sidehill exposure really started to add up and get to her.
    Alpine trail isn’t difficult, it has a little bit of chunder and shale here and there, and a lot of high speed and shale sections with big sidehill fall hazard. It does require some fitness with a few short but punchy uphills.
    Larison is easy and can be extremely fast, one steep roll, and a fair bit of sidehill and blind corners. It does have the easiest pedal climb of any Oakridge trail if not shuttling (via Larison Rock Road).
    Hardesty slightly less speed and exposure than Larison but also can be balls to the wall fast if you are feeling on point … it’s a bitch to pedal though, shuttle highly recommended on this one.

Dead Mountain is an intermediate flow trail with not much exposure.

North Fork and Middle Fork are nice super scenic XC trails.
    South Willamette is a fitness test trail, just constant up and down in and out of NL ravines.
    I likelier Hardesty, is Eula better? More tech would be fine by me

Dirt in the PNWet

The progression of difficulty from Hardesty, to Lawler, then Eula is like Junior varsity, Varsity, and D1 College.

Lawler is a great one if you haven’t done it - I call it the “Oakridge Steak and Shrimp Sampler” because it features every type of riding experience Oakridge has to offer in one trail, especially if you do the out and back to Roland’s Bench at Patterson Mountain Lookout - which I highly recommend for the giant wood sorrel mats, views, and pleasant riding on the way back. The rest of the trail has primitive old growth, natural flow, high speed chunder and shale, very small tech sections like steep rooty rolls, exposed sidehills, gnarly sharp switchbacks, also has new school flow, berms, rock jumps etc. FUN.

Eula is STEEP. Sustained steep. Balancing your balls millimeters over your rear tire while navigating corners and small chunder for extended duration steep … but it doesn’t have too much actual tech or gnar. Lots of roots and small rocks but no hucking or anything, and actually if you can keep up your trail speed the less than steep parts have tons of natural jumps. (Roots and grade reversals, and also lack of fitness if you pedal it, sometimes robs me of the speed needed for some of these features).

Wish I could offer to join you and show you around but with my kids I’ve got limited time during the week, then with an out of town crew this weekend.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Btw in honesty my balls are probably 2 cm above my tires on the steeps of Eula, not like other trails where I’m dragging my shorts across the knobs. Mainly it’s just not a roll here or there, it’s 3-4 separate sections that are all like a good minimum 30 seconds of riding through trees and terrain navigating turns etc … it’s a lot of fun if you like steep riding.

I was up there 2 weeks ago after pedaling (and walking parts of) the nearly 4000’ climb to the top … gained 10 lbs during pandemic and had a second kid 2 months ago … also ran out of water and it was 89 degrees out so I was wiped out and not my best riding- but videos 2-5 here show what the steep riding on Eula was like 2 weeks ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ9dR2ij...dium=copy_link

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

That looks fun as hell.

I really want to ride there this season. Been on my list for awhile.

I’ve been saying the same to myself about all the GPNF stuff… grass is always greener right? Lol. I definitely appreciate having Hardesty Portal 35 mins from my door though!!!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Is Oakridge going to shit? I might be biased because some trasher stole my camp chair that was holding my camp spot and in return left a truck load of trash behind but it seems much shittier than when I was last here 5-7 years ago. There's multiple Breaking Bad installations along Salmon Creek, trash everywhere, all the roads are lined with DQ cups and Keystone Light empties. Maybe I just didn't notice it last time and am extra pissed about this camp chair/trash dump?

The trails are still great though. You riding this week SchralphMacchio? I'll probably be around until Thursday or Friday, riding in the evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Is Oakridge going to shit? I might be biased because some trasher stole my camp chair that was holding my camp spot and in return left a truck load of trash behind but it seems much shittier than when I was last here 5-7 years ago. There's multiple Breaking Bad installations along Salmon Creek, trash everywhere, all the roads are lined with DQ cups and Keystone Light empties. Maybe I just didn't notice it last time and am extra pissed about this camp chair/trash dump?

The trails are still great though. You riding this week SchralphMacchio? I'll probably be around until Thursday or Friday, riding in the evenings.
    All of Oregon is turning into tweaker paradise. Passing through Albany/Salem roadside looked like a war zone. One of the reasons I'm out, unfortunately. These people are here because other states are hard on this kind of lifestyle. Until Oregon and Washington toughen up shit will continue to roll downhill.

I was definitely wondering if it had anything to do with that. Seems likely.