Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Heading South for a biking road trip with my wife, hitting favourites in Hood River, Bend, Oakridge and thereabouts. Planning to ride Old Man Pass - Falls Creek (NW of Hood River) on Saturday (Aug 4th), and would love to meet up with other riders to coordinate a shuttle and avoid the long road climb.

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    If interested... The full album from yesterday's Deep Creek memorial service.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmjYFKWb
    Damn. That sucks. I rode Ranger in the spring and it still in disrepair toward the top. That fire did work.

Those are some of my favorite gems of the PNW. I travel from SW MT to ride those 410 trails.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    Damn. That sucks. I rode Ranger in the spring and it still in disrepair toward the top. That fire did work.

Those are some of my favorite gems of the PNW. I travel from SW MT to ride those 410 trails.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Word is Ranger and Palisades are cleaned and totally "repaired" and Noble Knob/Dalles Ridge trail is clean as well...... There were many trees along the trail on the ride from Corral Pass to Deep Creek on Noble Knob trail that were still green and healthy and looked like there was never a fire.... something about how the fire burned it just cremated Deep Creek. Maybe those few hot days the East winds moving up Hwy 410 and then up that ridge did it. I think there was also a LOT more fuel along that Deep Creek ridge so when it did get going it burned hot.

Dumping some bike gear locally in the Issaquah area;

2016 Bronson V2 CC frame size Large. Black/grey with Fox Float Factory CTD shock with 50 miles on it. Frame has 588.5 miles on it and is in great shape overall.

$1200

2016 Rockshox Pike RCT3 150mm Boost fork. Also has 588.5 miles on it, has some aesthetic damage from transportation on my bike rack that does not affect performance. No scratches or damage to sliders. In good working condition.

$300

2017 Roval Traverse SL 38 6Fattie Boost Carbon wheels 27.5” x 38mm internal. Boost hub spacing. Includes Specialized Purgatory 27.5” x 3.0” tires with very little use. Wheels and tires are in excellent condition with minor aesthetic blemishes on rims.

$700

Items are listed locally on Seattle CL with detailed pictures. Hit me up with any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Depends what "trail bike". In pretty much all bike parks you would rather ride a DH bike.

The loam trails in the greater Bham area have been treated very well by the constant refresh of moisture. Below is a quick vid from a trail zone that ive spent some time at fairly recently building entrances/exits from and to the logging roads that were cut in the past few months. Sad that the top-bottom flow is interrupted now, but grateful that most of the trails lay within the no-harvest stream buffer and wont get clearcut.

Dont waste your time. Its all getting logged. Also no need to publicize this zone.

Quote Originally Posted by GANDALF View Post
    ....Also no need to publicize this zone.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by GANDALF View Post
    Dont waste your time. Its all getting logged. Also no need to publicize this zone.
    Not all . Though the flow is not what it was. Also it's a crazy popular spot, but if you don't know exactly where, you're def not finding it, so I don't feel bad about saying it's VERY general name.

And if either you or mtngirl didn't want it publicized, you wouldn't have bumped it. Twice. Lol

Not all . Though the flow is not what it was. Also it's a crazy popular spot, but if you don't know exactly where, you're def not finding it, so I don't feel bad about saying it's VERY general name.

And if either you or mtngirl didn't want it publicized, you wouldn't have bumped it. Twice. Lol
    Good spot for e-bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    If interested... The full album from yesterday's Deep Creek memorial service.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmjYFKWb
    That is truly sad to see...

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Absolutely heartbreaking.

There's a small but persistent and nearly inaccessible fire burning on the other-side of 410 at the moment. Worrying given how much more of summer is to come.
    Yeah, I've been watching that as well as the Cougar Creek fire up in the Entiat valley.

Lokul goods:

They've handed the Greenwater fire back to local FD and are pulling helicopters away due to lack of resources..

Understand priorities but not a great feeling to be leaving it to burn.

Can we get some rain? Please!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by evo View Post
    I'll be in Oakridge for a long weekend this weekend. Hoping it's less smoky than up here in Seattle.

What 2 rides should I do? One Saturday one Sunday. Have the ability to shuttle.
    The whole ACTA ride might be a bit hefty given smoke and hangovers that will likely occur, though I might be game to give it a go.
    Do you want XC or enduro type rides? Full ATCA is w great xc type ride with a shuttle up it not too long. Lawler/hardesty/eula are fun more enduro style rides. I haven't done middle fork or heckletooth but those are on my list.

I'll be in Oakridge for a long weekend this weekend. Hoping it's less smoky than up here in Seattle.

What 2 rides should I do? One Saturday one Sunday. Have the ability to shuttle.
    The whole ACTA ride might be a bit hefty given smoke and hangovers that will likely occur, though I might be game to give it a go.
    There is a light NW wind building this weekend and very moderate temps (20 degrees less than previous weekends!) and moist air which should clear out some of the smoke and put bigger riding days into play. If the winds get strong I think ATCA would be in play unless you have asthma or other lung sensitivities. But it's a big ride in good air quality, even marginally poor air quality could make things suck.

You could sign up for the early AM Alpine shuttle and make a judgement call on the Tire Mountain cutoff when you get there ... if you're not feeling strong just keep riding back into town and self-shuttle or pay to shuttle something like Lairison Rock in the afternoon. If you are feeling strong, make the right hand turn on to Tire Mountain have fun, then prepare for the suffer fest on the Cloverpatch Tie connector.

Lairison Rock is an awesome blue flow style trail that's short (3 miles) and fun (loads of fun), but not destination worthy in and of itself. It's a super fun add-on to a day, it's only 20 minutes to drive to the top, and only 30 minutes to ride back down, so it's very easy for a 2-person self shuttle. I've done morning Alpine and afternoon Lairison Rock before, that makes for a great time.

Not sure what you're looking for as most of your ride reports I've looked at have been more adventure rides ...

Waldo Lake Loop, taking the wide version going up Twins to Charlton lake and then cutting back to Waldo would be one of the most scenic XC rides you can get in the area. No bugs too, they all hatched and died long ago. Some of the purest blue water in Waldo lake, very pleasant ride with one very small gnar section. But Waldo could smoky, for sure smoky if winds pull pure North, as there is a brand new huge fire about 20-30 miles north of there.

If you want more high speed DH/chunk/old growth I can't recommend the Hardesty Lawler combo shuttle enough (Oregon Adventures offers this as a combo). Lap 1 do Lawler and ask them to wait for you to add the Patterson Mtn Lookout out-and-back section at the top (it's a groovy smooth trail that's like riding in the land before time), then bomb the 3000' descent of Lawler which mixes old school chunk and new school flow (save for one asskicking but very short climb halfway down). Pick up the afternoon shuttle at the bottom of Lawler trail, but except on lap #2 don't drop all the way down Hardesty, make the right turn onto Eula trail which drops 3500' in 3.5 miles ... then connect to a 1.5 mile climb back up South Willamette trail to get back to your car which will be parked at the fork on Patterson Mountain Road. Eula is steep fast and badass. If you have enough of a group you might be able to pay them to do a triple, where you shuttle Lawler then Eula then Hardesty (which is much more mellow than the other two). These rides should have less smoke because they are further west from Oakridge.

If you want "big time adventure" go for the Bunchgrass shuttle ... I haven't done it but it's got a reputation as a wild ass adventure ride. Full Bunchgrass is the kind of ride where you want a good crew. Little Bunchgrass to Heckletooth gets you a much easier ride - I hear it still has some of the wildness without all of the commitment of the full Bunchgrass shuttle. And again, it depends if the smoke blows out or lingers around - this ride would not be fun in the smoke.

I've got dog duty this Saturday so I can only do short rides, and I'm flying out of town on Sunday, otherwise I'd show you around!

Also, don't bother trying to go to Terwilliger Hot Springs, it's currently on fire because of some dumbasses ... that's the fire that's 25 miles north of Oakrdige right now. Hopefully it's just east enough of Oakridge that most of that smoke doesn't come down to the actual Oakridge trails and mountains.

EDIT:
    PS- please spend money at Willamette Mountain Merc (bike/outfitter shop) and Brewing Union (awesome food + beer)!
    The folks at Mountain Merc personally do a lot of trail work and Brewing Union is a great local business. Oakridge needs your money ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Oops, didn’t realize which account I was logged into. Thanks for the beta!

Actually, re: “previous ride reports,” I confused your screen name for evdog, as I was viewing on my tiny phone at 6 am before coffee

Enjoy, I’m still trying to figure out my ride plan for Saturday - probably somewhere I can park in the shade and leave dog in the car for a 10 mile solo lap then pick her up to bring along for a 2nd lap ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Enjoy, I’m still trying to figure out my ride plan for Saturday - probably somewhere I can park in the shade and leave dog in the car for a 10 mile solo lap then pick her up to bring along for a 2nd lap ...
    Careful, Oregon is one of 11 states where a random person can bust in your window if they even suspect your dog is in discomfort from heat. Lots of recreationally offended super citizens out there. I got yelled at the other day for leaving my white dog in my 4runner at home depot. It was 82 degrees out, parked in the shade with the windows half down, a full bowl of water, and i was gone for less than 10 minutes grabbing a bag of potting soil. Thankfully, in WA only Law Enforcement can legally bust into my car to "save" my dog.

Nice, we’ll probably go for some combo of Hardesty/Lawler/Eula one day, and some Alpine action the other. Stayed in Corvallis at a friend’s last night, going to ride Alsea on the way over today.

Careful, Oregon is one of 11 states where a random person can bust in your window if they even suspect your dog is in discomfort from heat. Lots of recreationally offended super citizens out there. I got yelled at the other day for leaving my white dog in my 4runner at home depot. It was 82 degrees out, parked in the shade with the windows half down, a full bowl of water, and i was gone for less than 10 minutes grabbing a bag of potting soil. Thankfully, in WA only Law Enforcement can legally bust into my car to "save" my dog.
    Yeah I know the dog paranoia here in Oregon. A lady who shops at my neighborhood market has signs all over her car saying "Car is running with AC ON! Dog is fine!"

I leave my giant moonroof open, windows mostly down and doors unlocked when she's in the car ... I have her leashed w/ carabiner on end of leash so if someone needs to rescue her they can open a door and clip the biner to something after rescuing her. I actually do look @ my compass whenever I park her somewhere for more than a few minutes to make sure the area will stay in shade all day as the sun moves, and confirm forecast that air temps won't be above mid-70's, otherwise I just won't leave her ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Oh man. I started driving to Oakridge this morning but made a U-turn soon as I got onto 58. The winds must have shut down last night because there is a fair amount of smoke on highway 58. Not horrible, but I have asthma. Highway 126 looks like a mess. Now I am driving to Alsea.

Hope it doesn’t ruin your weekend evo!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Nice, we’ll probably go for some combo of Hardesty/Lawler/Eula one day, and some Alpine action the other. Stayed in Corvallis at a friend’s last night, going to ride Alsea on the way over today.
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Oh man. I started driving to Oakridge this morning but made a U-turn soon as I got onto 58. The winds must have shut down last night because there is a fair amount of smoke on highway 58. Not horrible, but I have asthma. Highway 126 looks like a mess. Now I am driving to Alsea.

Hope it doesn’t ruin your weekend evo!
    enjoy alsea kids!

fyi last alsea shuttle days of the season are sept 8&9, i will be helping run the circus both days, come say hi

also setting up a jam and pump track race for salems geer bike park, late sept, should be fun

Had dinner in Pleasant Hill - it ended up clearing up pretty well on HWY58 today. But the Terwilliger Fire is now over 5000 acres. Ugh.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Weekend turned into a bit of a shitshow, somewhat as expected. Was staying at Waldo Lake with some non-mtbing friends. Rolled down into town to meet my buddy I was going to ride with on Saturday AM, his bike fell off his bike rack on the drive, no mountain biking for him. Still shuttled Larison, by noon you could barely see across the highway in town because of the smoke. Buddy still had his cross bike in working order so we just hung at the lake for the rest of the weekend.

This is happening again, this year. Last year we collected 400lbs and this years goal is 800lbs! If your in Bellingham, drop a donation off at almost any bike shop!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018 Instagram.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	245378

Do these food drives ever yield any fruits & vegetables? #scurvy

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Do these food drives ever yield any fruits & vegetables? #scurvy
    Bellingham food bank has lots of means of getting fresh produce so food drives focus on non perishable goods and there is usually a shortage of protein which is why we focus on high protein items plus cereal, peanut and peanut alternative butters, healthy snacks, shelf stable and non dairy milks, etc.
    Last edited by mtngirl79; 08-28-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Anyone out there in the market for a used Swagman, 4 bike, hitch mount tray rack? Pretty decent rack. Just too big for me now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.