Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Dirt in the PNWet

^^^ don’t you always complain about brake bumps and ruts?

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Rides in sloppy conditions on newly opened trails, complains about brake bumps and ruts and thrashed trails, and doesnt throw dirt himself. This would describe the vast majority of MTBers in the PNW and in general.

Where a trail gets built by some hard working folks for the enjoyment of others, someone will come along and complain about it. And the builder-user cycle continues.

New trail paralleling EBAD has been roughed in and will be finished up this winter. Currently hard-closed, but should be really cool when finished. Tiger and Raging are gonna be the steep, gnarly younger bro to the pumpy/jumpy Galbraith up north. And with Snoqualmie bike park coming online its a helluva time to be a MTBer on the I-90 corridor.

Im picking up my parents in Anacortes tomorrow. Trying to decide if i want to ride at Galbraith or one of the other spots nearby beforehand. Its been about 5months since i rode a "real" trail b/c of my newborn and high anxiety wife. A nice sloppy, wintery PNW ride is just what the docter ordered!

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Its been about 5months since i rode a "real" trail b/c of my newborn and high anxiety wife. A nice sloppy, wintery PNW ride is just what the docter ordered!
    Not sure if I saw this mentioned before, but congrats on the baby! It cuts into the riding/skiing, but being a dad is the greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Not sure if I saw this mentioned before, but congrats on the baby! It cuts into the riding/skiing, but being a dad is the greatest.
    thanks! the plan is to get him mobile and on a pushbike/skis ASAP so that family time gets spent at the mountain/in the woods and mom/dad can take turns shredding vs putzing/playing/feeding/soothing. One thing that i didnt count on is that i don't really have the freedom to break myslelf off for the next 3 years or so until he can fend for himself a little bit more. my wife will KILL me if i am unable to help with him for weeks or months at a time right now.

thanks! the plan is to get him mobile and on a pushbike/skis ASAP so that family time gets spent at the mountain/in the woods and mom/dad can take turns shredding vs putzing/playing/feeding/soothing. One thing that i didnt count on is that i don't really have the freedom to break myslelf off for the next 3 years or so until he can fend for himself a little bit more. my wife will KILL me if i am unable to help with him for weeks or months at a time right now.
    You won't know until it happens...

Send it

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    You won't know until it happens...

Send it
    Fine line between playing it safe, and being dangerously tentative. The struggle *will be* real.

Congrats on the little. Planning on riding Galby tomorrow, ping me if you want a riding buddy. I’m almost 9m in with my little gal and things are just getting better!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Rides in sloppy conditions on newly opened trails, complains about brake bumps and ruts and thrashed trails, and doesnt throw dirt himself. This would describe the vast majority of MTBers in the PNW and in general.

Where a trail gets built by some hard working folks
    Friend, can you read? First trail great. Then wet come, then hoards. Then trail sad. Questionable decision to open new trail in wet fall, knowing what you've so insightfully pointed out re: "the average MTBer"

I mean, how else would you be alerted to these things?

Less complaining about high traffic trails getting beat up (aka stating the obvious) and more stoke please. Maybe some dig stoke since you’ve got such strong feelings about trail maintenance best practices? Ok I’m done venting and being an ass.

Back on track!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2181.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	393743

Cross post — Bham dried out quick and was all time today!!

Name:	IMG_8448.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	266.6 KB 
ID:	393966

Name:	IMG_8449.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	393967

Do you ever get a creak when that stupid loam shelf is full like that? My spur has a creak and i think that is why but not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    Do you ever get a creak when that stupid loam shelf is full like that? My spur has a creak and i think that is why but not sure.

Same. I was attributing it to an intrinsic quality of the flex-stay design? shrug.

I was thinking that too. It seems to go away after I floss the shelf, so guess I’ll just keep doing that.

Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Less complaining about high traffic trails getting beat up (aka stating the obvious) and more stoke please. Maybe some dig stoke since you’ve got such strong feelings about trail maintenance best practices? Ok I’m done venting and being an ass.

Back on track!

Name:	IMG_2181.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	393743
    Where is that photo from? Hood River area?

I haven’t ridden the new trail at Tiger but am really looking forward to it. What a great location for one. I think Bellingham and Snoqualmie valley are the two best riding areas in the lower 48 for a mixture of tech and flowish trails and it’s pretty insane that they are both so close to a major metro area. If you can think of better ones please let me know so I can visit and compare

Looks like Syncline to me. Across the river from Hood river.

DNR seeks public feedback on electric-assist biking on state-managed lands (i.e. Tiger, Capital Forest, Gold Hills, other DNR riding areas).

Link where you can attend zoom public meeting and also complete a survey:

https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/wdfw-dnr-se...-managed-lands

I'd just like to see them prohibited from dedicated climbing trails when road alternatives exist (raging upward mobility, tiger 3links, etc). Otherwise I don't really give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    I'd just like to see them prohibited from dedicated climbing trails when road alternatives exist (raging upward mobility, tiger 3links, etc). Otherwise I don't really give a shit.
    That’s a good take. Seeing ebikes at Tiger and Tokul these past few years hasn’t really changed my experience.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Bingo.

Agreed 100% and that’s what I wrote it the survey.

Although I have seen a few e-bike riders crawling downhill at a snail’s pace, so maybe they need their own DH trails as well Mostly kidding - e bikes don’t seem to make much difference at the power they have today. If they had 4x the power and a throttle then it could get tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Agreed 100% and that’s what I wrote it the survey.

Although I have seen a few e-bike riders crawling downhill at a snail’s pace, so maybe they need their own DH trails as well Mostly kidding - e bikes don’t seem to make much difference at the power they have today. If they had 4x the power and a throttle then it could get tricky.
    If they had a throttle it would not be cool imo.

Is there a good table line anywhere around to get my head back into hitting some jumps? Riding with the boys last night at 27 and couldn’t get the bike off the ground due to mental limitations. I need to build some confidence as we get into bike season.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Is there a good table line anywhere around to get my head back into hitting some jumps? Riding with the boys last night at 27 and couldn’t get the bike off the ground due to mental limitations. I need to build some confidence as we get into bike season.
    Gravy train at duthie. Not tables, but gaps that progressively build from tiny to 12' or so. So nothing x27 big but it's the perfect confidence booster.

I have used gravy train for this in the past and should do it more but really trying to find a good place to work up to hitting bigger jumps with proper speed in a lower consequence form. I can hit small gaps but big ones scare me so I want to get more comfortable going bigger without fully committing. Maybe I just need to man up.

How is the riding around Spokane? I can’t seem to find much info other than Beacon hill. I’ll be moving there in August from the great white north. I’m still riding my old Turner Burner and I’m not worried about being underbiked but I’m a little worried that it’ll be too much bike for the area. I’m stoked to get on some new trails. Just got back to snowy/frozen AK after a trip to the southwest where I went to Sedona and Moab and didn’t get to ride at all. Now I’m itching bad for it. Can’t even ride the fat bike here right now.