Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Need vacation ideas in the PNW

So, I have a wife who isnt very out doorsy (my fault for settling down in a shit outdoors areq), 2 kids that are close to 3 and 1 kid close to 2. We are thinking of heading to Portland were there is a roller derby skate shop she wants to go to, and Id head to hood to ski one morning. Thia doesn't doesn't sound as exciting as Id like.

My wife doesnt have a pass port for canada, and my kids are to young for exciting outdoors stuff Id like. not sure what to do

A vacation with 2 kids that are close to 3 and 1 kid close to 2 would bring all the excitement I would like. Leave the skis home and head for the PNW beaches?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Go to Bend, OR. Rent an Air BNB close to downtown. Rent a bike, and ride bike park and some XC trails. Enjoy craft beer/bud. Take your kids to the lake/river. Let your wife shop in downtown Bend. Take the family for a hike. Enjoy the the drive down, maybe stop in Portland and Hood River on the way.

If not Bend, Hood R or the beach...
    (& apply for the passport now so you have it next time)

Yep x3 on Bend and/or Hood River great mix of "city" stuff and outdoorsy stuff to do. You could do a mellow hike/walk with the fam along the river, drop them off at Goody's for an ice cream and be on some legit trails with your bike in less than an hour.

My advice is to do whatever Buster suggests. I'm sure he'll pop in here eventually.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

BTW, though, even non-outdoorsy people love the beach, and the Oregon coast is amazing. That's where I'd go.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    No legal craft bud in Idaho, might be careful with the dab habit

There’s some cool falls along the highway through the Gorge. Or take the kids to the beach.

If it were me, I’d head to Bandon Dunes for golf.

Oh, and Crater Lake is nice.

Times whatever on Bend or Hood River. Or if that's not her style, straight out to Cannon Beach and Ecola State Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    BTW, though, even non-outdoorsy people love the beach, and the Oregon coast is amazing. That's where I'd go.
    Lots of cool lighthouses to show the kids and wife too plus you can hit some wineries on your way out there if that is your thing.

There is cheese at Tillamook, interesting shops in Coos Bay, dunes in Bandon etc. etc.

http://visittheoregoncoast.com/

You could also hit the gorge and visit one of my favorite places to stay in Troutdale, Edgefield which has a neat history (used to be an poor house & farm).

Another vote for the coast. Newport has an amazing huge aquarium that kids absolutely love.

^^^ yeah, and awesome tidal pools.

Hey come spend your money in my town! Silverton Oregon is pretty neat. If you want waterfalls Silver Falls is a better bet than the gorge because they had the fire and Silver Falls is probably better anyways. At Silver Falls you can drive between falls views falls and even stroller on the trail. Also you can walk behind the waterfalls which is pretty neat. Oregon coast is always fun too. Little kids will like to dig and watch you build them stuff out of sand. Also you can help them fly kites. Kites are classic OR coast.
    Also Enchanted Forest seems like a really big deal to little kids. Little kids I've talked to sometimes compare it to Disney Land. It is not even close in scale but kids still have fun and it's like $150 less/day to get into the Enchanted forest. Also every little kid should go to EF at some point because it's a NW classic.
    When are you vacationing? Small town festivals are probably pretty good for little kids. Mt. Angel Oktoberfest has a big totally free kindergarten

oregon beaches. olympia penninsula. san juan islands (gulf islands if you come to Canada). Be worth it to just island hop around the San Juans, Southern Gulf and Vancouver Island.

Tofino in BC is a haul, but a beautiful option.

Beaches, Ice Cream, Big trees, Boat Trips (maybe whales and dolphins), Legal dope, Craft beer. What else would a kid want?

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    Hey come spend your money in my town! Silverton Oregon is pretty neat. If you want waterfalls Silver Falls is a better bet than the gorge because they had the fire and Silver Falls is probably better anyways. At Silver Falls you can drive between falls views falls and even stroller on the trail. Also you can walk behind the waterfalls which is pretty neat. Oregon coast is always fun too. Little kids will like to dig and watch you build them stuff out of sand. Also you can help them fly kites. Kites are classic OR coast.
    Also Enchanted Forest seems like a really big deal to little kids. Little kids I've talked to sometimes compare it to Disney Land. It is not even close in scale but kids still have fun and it's like $150 less/day to get into the Enchanted forest. Also every little kid should go to EF at some point because it's a NW classic.
    When are you vacationing? Small town festivals are probably pretty good for little kids. Mt. Angel Oktoberfest has a big totally free kindergarten
    Whoa! Love the Enchanted Forest call out. I loved that place as a little kid.

^ we plan to take the little fella there this week

Oregon Country Fair is 7/13-15.

Absolutely a hippy type festival-> started as a Springfield Creamy benefit by the Grateful Dead (Garcia's wife's family's creamery that had burned) but very family friendly and like nothing else you've likely been to.

lake chelan - boat to stehekan - beach - go out to dinner

I also vote Oregon coast.

There is also the sea lion caves.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    I also vote Oregon coast.

There is also the sea lion caves.

If in that area go to Yachats for lunch , Neptune Beach, Cape Perpetua, Devils Churn, Devils Elbow (Heceta Head Lighthouse) and finally Baker Beach if you want dunes(take the trail to the south of the lot)

Stay away from that horrible shit smelling tourist trap known as Sea Lion Caves!

Edit- from there you could then drive Florence to Eugene then Bend via 58 and Cascade Lakes Highway. From Bend go north to 26 and check out Hood and Timberline lodge or keep going to Hood river and do any number of things like take the scenic road on top the cliffs back to PDX or even check out rad art at Maryhill museum (they have like 6 davids there from before he perfected it)

Or just go back north like Flyoverland is saying below...

Agreed; fuck sea lions in general.

Get lunch at Luna Sea Fish Corp. In Yachats; order the Slumgullion. Go north 5 miles to Tilicum Beach; they have a day-use area. Hit the beach, bring firewood for an evening sunset fire. Drink a Rogue ale. Winning!

If you do Newport, eat at Local Ocean
    https://www.localocean.net/
    website is super fancy looking, but it's more like a storefront bistro near the harbor

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    If you do Newport, eat at Local Ocean
    https://www.localocean.net/
    website is super fancy looking, but it's more like a storefront bistro near the harbor
    X2. And if you are looking for beers go to Rouge but stay away from the food there.