Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    eye contact with the driver and they acknowledge you.
    This.

I almost hit a skateboarder when making a right turn on red: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...t=#post5349112

I think Dan's post is a little extreme, but I do agree that the OP should call the police. And I also agree that the pedestrians in these stories do not deserve any blame. That said, it's not the same as the skirt/low-cut blouse thing. When you are unprotected and others are in thousands of pounds metal cages, playing on their phones and whatnot, and can kill you in the blink of an eye just because of a moment of carelessness, common sense says that being in the right is way less important than being alive. It's not saying "it's your fault that you assumed they would follow traffic laws". It's simply saying "you will lose every interaction, and even well meaning people make mistakes, so better safe than sorry."
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I'm just saying, having been there and done the time so to speak, that being right doesn't fucking matter and you gotta look out for yourself.
    "Sorry, but you were at a frat party, you should have expected that guy was going to roofie you."

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    But you seem like you just want revenge and it is totally cool to murder someone because they bruised you and you got scared.
    That last part was clearly satire. Though, if it were to happen, it would be fascinating to see 2A and stand-your-ground laws used as a defense. If you loved-tapped a cop at an intersection and he unloaded his gun into you he probably wouldn't even lose his job.

McLaren runs a stop sign and hits a skater in the crosswalk. Then McLaren honks at the skater.

Skater issues the appropriate response.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I don't condone that, but I did laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    It's simply saying "you will lose every interaction, and even well meaning people make mistakes, so better safe than sorry."
    This, not this:

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    "Sorry, but you were at a frat party, you should have expected that guy was going to roofie you."
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Don't you understand that's how it's done in 21st century Murica? You cut someone off in traffic, you give them the finger. You run someone down on the slopes you yell at them for getting in your way. You make a racist or sexist remark and someone complains you tell them they're too sensitive. (You've been on the receiving end of that one a few times.) Someone else stands up for the people you insulted and you call them a SJW or say they're virtue signalling. You do anything mean and nasty to someone, you tell them to get over it. Whatever bad behavior you're guilty of you blame the victim. Do it enough times you might get yourself elected president.
    This is pretty much modern society in a nutshell:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Archer-Deal-With-It-Reaction-Gif.gif 
Views:	54 
Size:	396.1 KB 
ID:	240440

I had a woman driving a farm-outfitted crew cab F350 (flatbed, diesel tank, headache rack, etc) make a spontaneous right hand turn from the center lane across the right-turn lane as I was approaching from behind in that lane. I had to take the snowbank to avoid hitting her from behind in my "no crash protection" super rusty old toyota pickup. I unstuck myself in 4low and watched that cunt drive away into the adjacent mall parking lot. I went over there and said "hey, I had to just drive into the ditch to avoid you making your illegal turn back there"....
    her response "you didn't have your signal on".
    which was incorrect, and totally irrelevant.....but shows a distinct thought process: "nothing I do is as bad as everyone else. Everyone else is awful, I'm above all this."

It's so unhealthy. My final response to her "you caused an accident and drove away. It's a good thing you didn't injure anyone. It's a good thing I was in a little pickup and not a loaded dump truck because I would have just rolled your F350 into a ball of metal in the dump truck....and you know it."
    One more time, walking away into the mall "you didn't have your signal on".

It's fucked up. People are fucked.

Yes, people, in general, totally suck.

I don't condone that, but I did laugh.
    I'll condone it.

Really like to know how it all ended. Passenger takes off in one direction after skate rat, injured car in another. I mean, I hope the passenger got a face full of skateboard if he caught him.

Coming from the motorists view, he might not have seen you, or expected you to run into traffic, light or not. Cross walk, not cross run

Personally, I always look to see that cars are stopped, or are stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    Personally, I always look to see that cars are stopped, or are stopping.
    Ditto:

Klaus is a great guy, but he came 10cm from killing me a few years back.

Towns fricking insane right now!

I quit road cycling after a bus doing about 50 came within 1cm of my elbow. Cops said to file a complaint with the bus department! Probably face timing her boyfriend.

Stay off the road.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Cops said to file a complaint with the bus department!
    Is there a "wide blue line" now, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    You talk funny.
    Lulz - some people say I look and smell funny too...

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Glad you made it out of that one!!! sheesh, sounds brutal!
    Me too, I took the property settlement and used it to purchase a nice mountain bike and never looked back.
    I can count the number of road rides on two hands that I've been on since (30 + years).

OP, Bummer man.
    I hope the bruising goes away quickly.
    Look twice, make eye contact, go...

I've told my bike collision stories often enough. I don't road bike anymore.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

i stopped riding on roads when I was in my late teens. the roads were too dangerous

I've been done with road riding for 16 years. I had a lady turn in front of me when I was doing 20+ and t-boned her right rear quarter panel. Over the trunk and onto the pavement on the other side of her car. Chipped bone in my elbow and road rash from shoulder to ankle but nothing serious. She said she thought she could beat me around the corner before I got there. WTF? Anyway, some drivers just are too oblivious to share the roads with cyclists so I'm out. Almost entirely dirt or paved trails now, with the exception of a couple of miles of road to get to the one paved trail that I ride very infrequently.

The rocks and trees don't move or jump in front of you. I prefer to have close encounters with them while on my bike.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I quit road cycling after a bus doing about 50 came within 1cm of my elbow. Cops said to file a complaint with the bus department! Probably face timing her boyfriend.

Stay off the road.

You were riding on the wrong road. If you're in a place where buses are doing 50 so closely, bad choice.

Hit by a car on a run this morning! WTF?

Back in my skateboarding is not a crime days I was hit by a rich douche who ran a stop sign - not rolled, ran @ about 20 - in an expensive German automobile. I went over the hood, windshield, roof, missed the trunk, and to the pavement. Meanwhile, his wheel rolled over and broke my board.

Not only did he not stop, he didn't even slow down. A lot of assholes out there.

I agree call the police. Look at it this way- what if you had been in a car and he dinged it- would it be ok for him say "didn't mean to do that" and drive away? No, that's a hit and run- hardly better when it's a pedestrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You were riding on the wrong road. If you're in a place where buses are doing 50 so closely, bad choice.
    I’ll go take a picture for you, not.

Is there a "wide blue line" now, too?
    Not where I busdrive. They pull drivers over and ticket us here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    I agree call the police. Look at it this way- what if you had been in a car and he dinged it- would it be ok for him say "didn't mean to do that" and drive away? No, that's a hit and run- hardly better when it's a pedestrian.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Ditto:

Klaus is a great guy, but he came 10cm from killing me a few years back.

Towns fricking insane right now!
    No fucking shit. What a timely and appropriate thread for our little slice of paradise.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."