Wink South America 2019: one week skiing during honeymoon - where / when?

My fiancée progressed within two seasons from pizza position on the beginner runs to starting her first forays in deeper snow off the marked trails. She did it while holding an office job, and despite two knee injuries in the same period. I'm kinda proud of her (though slightly worried at her injury rate).

We are getting married next year and she suggested that we spend a week out of our honeymoon skiing in South America. (I know, I'm a lucky guy). Actually her first idea was to ski in Gulmarg but we'll get married in May or June so timing won't work.

We don't need to leave on honeymoon right after the wedding, but wouldn't want to delay it too much, either.

I've skied some years ago in Chile (Nevados de Chillan, Tres Valles and Portillo), but never in Argentina.

We're probably going to choose a place that's a beautiful / interesting destination, as well as a good ski area. What would you suggest? And when would be the earliest we should go for good chances of snow?

Thanks for the info!

(I'm afraid I won't provide nekkid pics ;-) ... though there may be a funny story accompanied by a bare shoulder pic if anyone's interested).
    You really need to stop knowing WTF you're talking about. (Tippster)

That sounds awesome! Wife and I also considered South America, but decided against it due to timing. I love following the SA threads here, and seems that most years the snow doesn't get good until later in the summer if I'm not mistaken. May/June probably won't be too great, if even skiable at all (I especially wouldn't bother with going in May), but others with actual experience there will chime in I'm sure. I could be wrong in regard to the specific areas you're looking at, but it seems that their May is like our October? I'm sure it's all region specific.

If you’re looking for a ski area that also has a great town to hang out in, you might want to check out Chapelco. It’s right outside of the town of San Martin de los Andes. The town itself is fucking beautiful. Right on the lake, and surrounded by the mountains.

https://www.chapelco.com/index.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Ma...n_de_los_Andes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapelco

I could spend a week there without a problem. Lots of good restaurants and top-notch skiing. But if you feel the need to get in skiing at more than one place, Cerro Catedral is just a couple of hours drive to the south near Bariloche. Both the ski area and the city of Bariloche are much larger than Chapelco and San Martin de los Andes, but I think San Martin de los Andes is nicer and more laid back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bariloche

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerro_Catedral

http://www.catedralaltapatagonia.com/

For skiing only: Las Leñas

For skiing plus having access to some off-snow activities: Ushuaia

Spend at least a night or two in Buenos Aires as well. Probably best to wait until at least mid-July. Congrats!

Bariloche/Catedral. No earlier than mid-July. August would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by covert View Post
    Bariloche/Catedral. No earlier than mid-July. August would be better.
    Since OP has been to Portillo which would otherwise be a slam dunk honeymoon choice then this. Check the Design Suites hotel just outside of town on lake road to resort. Would be nice honeymoon spot.

Also second the suggestion about spending time in Buenos Aires.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Wow, hudge congrats C!!

Agree with the above. Spend some quality time in BA, fly to Bariloche and rent a car. Hit Cerro Catedral, Cerro Bayo and maybe even visit Perito Monero for a chill day of club skiing if it's open. All doable in a week, with really cute romantic towns of Villa La Angostura and El Bolson to share w/your honey. Bariloche is a little bigger, with a bit more stuff to do, if you can maybe go for a hike at Parc Nahuel Huapi. Haven't been to Chapelco and St Martin de los Andes, but hear good things about it, though it's a bit further away.

Las Lenas has better skiing, but is kinda remote and not much else to do, plus not the most romantic place.

Quote Originally Posted by patxi View Post
    For skiing only: Las Leñas

For skiing plus having access to some off-snow activities: Ushuaia

Spend at least a night or two in Buenos Aires as well. Probably best to wait until at least mid-July. Congrats!
    1:28 exchange rate on ARG peso will make Ushuaia so freakin affordable you'll cry. BA will still charge gringo rates but down south a dollar really goes a long ways. If the exchange rate holds, you're looking at dollar a day lift served skiing, dollar hotels, etc., etc....

And the best fucking seafood in the world.

Thanks everyone for the info, several areas I didn’t know about, I’m off to do my research!

Tri-Ungulate, many thanks! I’m a very happy chappie:-) Hope to ski with you in the next season or two.

Your timing isn’t ideal. Could be great skiing but also could be nothing open in June.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

For updated snow conditions in Chile see Ski Chile 2018 thread. Try to go after July 29, crowded next few weeks.

San Martin is fantastic. I can't vouch for the skiing because I was there in April 2016 for fishing, but the town itself was flat out one of my favorite places ever.

Stayed just outside of Bariloche in a resort hotel called Llao Llao in 2006 - great food, indoor/outdoor heated infinity pool, free shuttle to Cerro Catedral every day. I recommend. Also skied Chapelco (staying in San Martin de los Andes) and Cerro Bayo.

Llao Llao is a great old hotel in a remarkable setting. I don’t think there is much better than that in Bariloche.