Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are convertible full-face/half-shell helmets worth it?

I got a new (to me) bike recently and have started riding much faster and jumping more--turns out a slacked-out 29er with functional suspension carries speed a bit better than an 11-year-old XC bike. Most of the trails I ride seem fairly conducive to the idea of a convertible full-face, in that they involve big climbs and big descents (e.g. Tiger Mountain trails) or have big scary jumps or features (e.g. Duthie). But, I've been crashing for years and haven't needed face protection yet, and the convertible helmets are so expensive that I could buy a half-shell and a full-face for less than a single convertible helmet.

So, is it worth looking at the Giro Switchblade/Bell Super helmets/others, or should I just get a much cheaper full-face for when I want to ride freeride-y trails and/or bike park? Or just stick with half-shells?

A real FF is probably more protective (although the Switchblade passes the DH cert). However, if you trails are conducive to convertible helmets and you see yourself using them, you should totally do that, because a covertible is way better than a half dome.

I ride 60/40 DH/XC. I crash more on DH where I uses POC Cortex DH MIPS. I got a Bell Super M2 MIPS for XC after I smashed a Trabec MIPS. The only crash that a chin bar has saved me on was on my every-day XC ride behind my house: endo-chinguard-to-rock.

If you read the studies on mountainbiking injuries, here is what you find:

Abrasions, lacerations, and closed head injuries are the most common injuries for XC bikers. Maxillofacial fractures are very common since over-the-bars crashes are the most common mechanism of injury. Facial fractures are more common among XC riders than DH (lift-served) bikers because DH riders wear full face helmets almost universally. Fractured knee caps are surprisingly rare with DH bikers versus XC because of the prevalence of DH knee pads. Clavicular fractures are common, but there is no way to efficiently protect the clavicle. Forearm fractures and pneumothorax are common while femur fractures are quite rare despite the lack of femoral armor.

That is the distillation of several research articles. XC bikers typically wear a helmet, gloves, and eye protection. An upgrade in Prevention would be a helmet with rotational force mitigation (e.g., MIPS) plus a detachable chin guard, and XC knee pads.

Here is a good comparison of the helmets out there: https://enduro-mtb.com/en/lightweigh...elmets-review/
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

The new Bell Super DH is DH certified too and makes a much better half shell than the Giro. It IS an actual enhanced coverage half shell when the chinbar is off and has much better ventilation. Works great for an every day helmet. The Giro is a 3/4 with modest at best ventilation. Wouldn't want to pedal around in that every day at all. Anecdotal observation; the Giro's attachment system is a bit questionable. Buddy hit the dirt hard enough knock himself out briefly and the chin bar flew right off.

I've been in the Super DH for a couple months and it's definitely the nicest helmet I've ever owned. The MIPS Spherical is pretty high tech, it breathes well and is very comfy. I'm always riding DH type trails but only occasionally ride lifts or shuttle, the Super DH seems sturdy enough to be a one-helmet quiver for me.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

+1 for the new Bell Super DH. Great lid.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    The MIPS Spherical is pretty high tech
    Dual layers the rotating inside each other... that is what POC pioneered 6 years ago in the Cortex DH MIPS... minus the pin. Very nice! Must... resist... urge... to... upgrade...

Sounds like I'm going to have to find somewhere to try on that Bell and see if it fits my weird head. Thanks!

That Super DH looks pretty sweet. Shame about the cost, though.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Sounds like I'm going to have to find somewhere to try on that Bell and see if it fits my weird head. Thanks!
    I have a Super 2 in a medium sitting in my closet with about 10 miles on it. I’m in the Highlands if your interested. I’ll let it go cheap, as it’s just taking up space.

I ride with a guy that has the Bell convertible helmet (Super 3R?). The chin bar mount is solid and well built. It's a much more substantial helmet than the old, mostly useless convertible helmets I've seen. I can't speak to fit or function, but it looks and feels like a solid helmet.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I've had the switchblade for 2 years now for racing. Its very comfortable and light for a full face. It is a sweat palace as an XC lid.

Given the option of the Super DH now, I would head that direction if buying. The switchblade chinbar is a bit of a pain to store on transfers; the super can just sit around your neck without fear of dropping it or having it slide off handlebars.

Quote Originally Posted by iamTRuTH View Post
    I have a Super 2 in a medium sitting in my closet with about 10 miles on it. I’m in the Highlands if your interested. I’ll let it go cheap, as it’s just taking up space.
    A Super 2 or a Super 2R? (ie, does it have the removable chinstrap?)

I ride full-time in Super 2R. I have the chin bar for the occasional need for it.
    When trying on make sure you dont make your fit decision because of temple pressure. There are removable foam pads at the temple. 90% of people find the helmet unbearable if you dont remove them.
    In my shop we barely sold any of these helmets when they first arrived, then I removed all the temple pads and suddenly they sold really well.

The trails you ride ARE NOT ideal for a convertible helmet. Tiger is an hour long grind straight up, and then mostly trails straight down. Duthie is just a set of DJs and then a 120 sec pedal back to the top. just strap your fullface to your pack and ride up.

A true full face will feel much more solid , will protect better, and will look better. Outside of predator and some of the Raging trails, there arent really any gnarly pedal trails that youd want a full face on around here. And all of the gnarly pedal stuff is just grind to the top, and then ride straight to the bottom which makes a full face the perfect helmet.

If you really want to drop the dough, go for it. But ask yourself if you really need it.

Are convertible full-face/half-shell helmets worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    A Super 2 or a Super 2R? (ie, does it have the removable chinstrap?)
    I do not have the jaw piece, but easily available to buy separate. That was my plan, but the helmet didn't fit at all.

Edit: added pictureClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1509.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	240510
    Last edited by iamTRuTH; 07-03-2018 at 02:21 PM.

For the rides around here in Puget Sound, I think it's worth it - cheaper than two purpose specific helmets at the same trim level. The SuperDH feels solid to me - at least as good as the Fox ProFrame IMO in fullface mode.

I have a Troy Lee a1 as my trail/pedal helmet and a d3 full face. Thought the latest/new bell super might be a good addition to split the difference. It looks like a traditional helmet without the chin guard and is advertised as dh certified w the chinguard. Most , if not all, our dh trails that I pedal are up fireroads and I just strap my full face and knee pads on my pack on the up. I tried a fox proframe on today. Fit was good for me, incredibly light for a ff and it looks like it has great ventilation. Looks like the cheek pads stay in when riding all the time. It’d be nice if the helmet had a dial adjust on the back like a half shell and you could pop out the cheek pads for the up or pedally up/downs. Troy Lee has a new enduro full face like the fox one and the poc dh helmet looks really well ventilated. Not sure if they can work without cheek pads though. Cheek pads get hot and sweaty/uncomfortable pedaling around. Still leaning towards the new bell. Seems quite functional albeit pricey but bells usually go on sale

The Bell's look nice, but definitely try them on first. I can be comfortable in helmets from most brands, but the Bell's give me a headache within 30 seconds of putting them on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks toast. Was hoping they had one to try on. Same for me, most seem to work for me and I’ve had several bell helmets. Those new ones aren’t cheap either, sale or not, I will try one on first . I think I had heard that but maybe that was Troy Lee or both that have some models that vary in fit from previous models. A friend tried on the new lower priced d3 and he said something was off with the fit but the d3 carbon fit perfect but he wasn’t into shelling out for A d3 carbon (maybe it was just how they were setup and could be made the same idk)

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I tried a fox proframe on today. Fit was good for me, incredibly light for a ff and it looks like it has great ventilation. Looks like the cheek pads stay in when riding all the time. It’d be nice if the helmet had a dial adjust on the back like a half shell and you could pop out the cheek pads for the up or pedally up/downs.
    You can pop out the Proframe cheek pads easily if you want to. I bought one last year specifically for a trip to BC (Whistler park included) because I needed a new fullface anyway and figured I might wear the Proframe ocassionally at home because 95% of my rides have some real pedalling in or out of trails even when the lifts are running. To date I have only worn it once at home just to try it out; breathes & vents better than a normal fullface but it's still hot compared to an open face so not worth it most of the time for how I ride. Still glad I got it for BC park and shuttles though; I was never worried about the level of protection and the weight is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    You can pop out the Proframe cheek pads easily if you want to. I bought one last year specifically for a trip to BC (Whistler park included) because I needed a new fullface anyway and figured I might wear the Proframe ocassionally at home because 95% of my rides have some real pedalling in or out of trails even when the lifts are running. To date I have only worn it once at home just to try it out; breathes & vents better than a normal fullface but it's still hot compared to an open face so not worth it most of the time for how I ride. Still glad I got it for BC park and shuttles though; I was never worried about the level of protection and the weight is nice.
    I didn’t check without the cheek pads. I was guessing it might flop around without a liner dial to tighten it if they were out. Out for pedaling or climbing and pop them in for sizeable downs was my theory . Otherwise for shuttling or lifts I think I’d prefer a regular full face . Impressive weight and it fit me well though . I did wonder how the liner will hold up. Almost an xc type skeletal retention system but they make quality lids so fox is a good bet

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I didn’t check without the cheek pads. I was guessing it might flop around without a liner dial to tighten it if they were out. Out for pedaling or climbing and pop them in for sizeable downs was my theory .
    Yeah it's not very secure on me without the cheek pads. If you were in a race where helmets are mandatory for climbs it would make sense to remove them. For everyday riding I'd just strap it to my bag on the climb if I chose to take the Proframe over a half shell.

Yeah it's not very secure on me without the cheek pads. If you were in a race where helmets are mandatory for climbs it would make sense to remove them. For everyday riding I'd just strap it to my bag on the climb if I chose to take the Proframe over a half shell.
    Oh ok. Makes sense. I’m thinking it’s a sweet option after trying it on. I guess I didn’t expect it to fit me as well as it did. I’m trying to ditch the camelback in favor of this mid size fanny pack I’ve been using. That’s why I was leaning toward that new bell super but I could where the proframe on the up and just stick the cheek pads in the fanny pack ez. Camelback gets hot and uncomfortable climbing a sun baked fireroad

Makes sense. I only got a frame that worked well with a bottle cage last year so my rides used to be 100% with a backpack. Now still about 75% with a pack because I don’t like big climbs in summer heat while wearing kneepads and normally need to pack lunch. Pretty nice when I do go without the backpack (custom frame triangle pack instead) but I’m so used to the backpack I don’t really mind it.

Makes sense. I only got a frame that worked well with a bottle cage last year so my rides used to be 100% with a backpack. Now still about 75% with a pack because I don’t like big climbs in summer heat while wearing kneepads and normally need to pack lunch. Pretty nice when I do go without the backpack (custom frame triangle pack instead) but I’m so used to the backpack I don’t really mind it.
    Tried something like the Deuter Race Air? Basically nothing touches your back.
    Name:  bp2.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  182.4 KB

I have a Camelbak NV same idea