Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I'm pretty sure I can handle the tech. Mostly I'm worried about fitness and mostly the climbs

Honestly, on race day I take take my time on the climbs and walk if it gets steep. Save yourself for racing! As said above, the time cutoffs are generally super generous.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    They haven't posted it yet but probably
    If the course is the same, then it doesn't really matter which class you're racing - you'll just be comparing your times to everyone else anyways. But a lot of times they dumb down the beginner courses and you end up doing a pretty short race on less interesting trails. Even if the organizer isn't releasing the course details, it might be worth confirming with them that sport and beginner are the same.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

can you see who else has entered and then place yourself in beginner or sport depending on how you normally stack up against the others?
    I would lean towards beginner since it's your first race and you get better at racing each time you enter one. I bet you'd still do well in sport but being your first race, nobody will blink twice if you do beginner

Stoked you are entering. never enough ladies

I would second the be warmed up more than you think- like be hot already- but it is a little different with enduro although I would also say that not going into that cold also helps.
    skid luxury

I'm faster than the beginners I know and can hold my own with those in sport that I know. I'm mostly worried about the fitness aspect. It's the sturdy dirty so all women

I'm faster than the beginners I know and can hold my own with those in sport that I know. I'm mostly worried about the fitness aspect. It's the sturdy dirty so all women
    As others have noted, the transfer stage time limits are usually massive. You'll be fine.

Masters.

Whichever you do, good hunting.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Beginner? Sport?
    Where does this lie compared with Cat 2 & Cat 3? If beginner is a 4th cat, then race Sport (cat 3). If beginner is equivalent to Cat 3, then that’s where you belong for your first year of racing.

It’s trickier with women’s racing than it is with men’s because the turnout is so much lower. They frequently combine women’s cats to fill podiums, even when they don’t with men. Mrs jm2e’s first race ever, they did one pro cat and then combined cats 1, & 3 into one group. She was DFL for the whole day. A year later, 2 of the girls who beat her were racing pro. It can be frustrating, but soldier on.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

They wont be combining categories. This is a women's only enduro and it will probably sell out. There are already over 150 entries. All women.

The categories are beginner, sport, expert and pro.

Good luck mtngrl ! Kick your own ass either cat.

Do sport, its just riding a bike you'll be fine.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

cool. yea then from what you say then maybe do sport since you feel like you ride like your friends in that category. that's the best indicator bc it can be so varied depending on the race
    I once entered the expert category on a DH and ended up winning the overall- But couldn't get the Pro prize (a Fox fork) bc I had entered as expert which was annoying but something to consider is the prizes also get better the higher category you are mee likes prizes

My mantras in the race are always: look ahead, brake early and flow it out
    I think you'll enjoy entering races- I always find I move fwd as a rider.
    That series looks like a blast too
    skid luxury

Anyone want to ride predator with me tomorrow?

I found last years course. It looks like beginner and sport has the same course and don't get to ride predator.

maybe go ahead and enter expert then? if you dig that trail then you know you’ll at least have a great time haha and i think your love of riding is awesome
    any of your other gf’s entering expert that you can identify with?
    you will learn a lot about all the intangibles of racing after a stage or two but that will be the biggest advantage others in that category have- more comfort with the situation/ their set ups are super dialed etc
    skid luxury

I like the suggestive nature of 'Fully Rigid' followed by 'Easy, Tiger!'
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Naw.. I'll do sport, probably. Lol.

First Race.. beginner or sport?

I’d enter the category with the course you want to ride. Often the only difference is that beginner/sport rides a lamer course, but the riders end up being of similar caliber. If you’re stoked on a more challenging course, go expert. It really doesn’t matter where you finish.

Don’t worry about fitness. As others have said, you could likely walk every climb and make the transitions. Given that only the downs are being timed, keep it moving but don’t burn yourself out on the transitions. If you feel like walking, walk.

Racing is definitely intimidating to get into, but if you just treat it as a ride, a chance to socialize on the transitions and tell battle stories over beer later, and a personal challenge, it can’t go badly.

Didn't you have a kona process? Why ride a hardtail?

I would say start in beginner. It's nice to have the possibility of winning when you start out. I upgraded to cat 1 this year so now I basically have no chance of ever winning another mtb race. It is cool to sometimes line up with pros though, even if I don't see them after the start.

Bike thieves got the process.

I've been riding a friends Honzo all spring, and I actually really like it.

I'll get a new full suspension for next year but I cant afford it now.

I could actually win beginner, a girl I'm faster than without even trying was near the top of beginner last year plus the sport and beginner course is the same...

But the courses are the same so knowing I would have won is kinda the same as winning without "sandbagging..."

No shame in starting as a beginner. Sport might be a better match and you'll be prouder with a better finish in that category.

Expert seems like a dumb idea, I'd ease into racing and have fun, not start at the top and struggle. Don't get too confident until you actually race and see what it's all about and how you handle stress. Nobody will accuse you of sandbagging sport if you win, it's a safe bet.

And it does matter where you finish, it's racing. if you want to have fun and socialize, that's what everyday riding is for and a lot cheaper and less stressful, too. If you come in DFL, it's not the end of the world and nobody really cares or will even remember, but it's a lot more fun to podium obviously!

Stomping a bunch of people because you entered a category below your ability is lame. Both for you and everyone else.

It sounds like you belong in Sport, or Expert if you want to ride the harder course. From your description I highly doubt you'll finish last, and even if you do, you'll have a good time. Hell my only race, I bonked on the climb and destroyed a rim on the descent and finished DFL and still had a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Stomping a bunch of people because you entered a category below your ability is lame. Both for you and everyone else.
    Oh ffs sure, but she’s never done a race before, you know, like she’s a beginner. C’mon, for one race, she’s not doing it to give the finger to the little girl with the tassels on the end of her bars.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

There are too many categories in races these days. Most should be Juniors/Beginners/Open.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025