Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I use a montbell bag. It is very generously cut, but it has elastic sewn in on the outside, which keeps it tight on my body so there's not a lot of dead space to warm

I hate bags that are too narrow. This bag works well

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    This is a spring/summer/early fall bag, so it isn't a piece of expedition equipment that needs to keep me warm if I get stuck in a storm somewhere at 10,000+ feet, it's for backpacking, spring ski touring trips (think base camp in a valley, not traversing ranges), and general purpose adventuring. I don't foresee riding out nasty storms for days on end in this bag, I'm more inclined to wait for better weather. The 5 or 10 degree options from FF and WM have cuts that are comfortable width-wise, but those bags are probably going to be uncomfortably hot for some of my uses.
    Per that description, you're a candidate for a high quality (reality rated) 20F bag, maybe a FF Swallow, which has a bit more room for a puff on cold nights. Our bud's FF Swallow has 15 years of hard use and loft is like new. You can check fit by crawling in a Swallow at the FF store while wearing a puff. You could also try out a Swift (even more roomy).

Quilts seem like a huge pain in the ass to me, but I haven't tried one. I'm not opposed to the idea, but I don't feel like having to put together a whole new system, or learn new techniques for staying comfortable while camping.
    Quilts are a PITA only if you go into it with that attitude. Overall, a quilt is simpler system. Quilts have an edge in wet weather because most of your body is on top your pad, not squashing the bottom half of the bag. IME, quilts are more comfortable, especially if you roll during the night, although some prefer mummies. IME, for a quilt, the alleged "weight penalty" of WB fabric -- IMO not a penalty because because the payoff is more than worth the extra 2-3 ounces -- is more than setoff by the weight savings of a quilt, e.g., no zipper, less fabric. I acknowledge that quilts are not for everybody and that WB outer shell on a 3-season bag isn't for everyone. If you have only one 3-season bag, a mummy is the safe choice.

I also love quilts. It's really too bad Englightened Equipment doesn't offer a WB fabric and a better pad attachment system*.

*Geezer Steve has posted a good mod on this in the past, but I've yet to do it.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

EE strap basic mod is easy. Swap out stock elastic straps for non-stretchy nylon. There's a bit more complex mod that helps keep the quilt sides tucked under your body (helps to have a bit wider quilt for that).

EE makes nice quilts for good prices.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I also love quilts. It's really too bad Englightened Equipment doesn't offer a WB fabric and a better pad attachment system*.

*Geezer Steve has posted a good mod on this in the past, but I've yet to do it.
    How are you using the stock EE straps on your pad? Once I realized the that the elastic band should go all the way around the pad (eg, not double layered on the bottom), my quilt stays tucked under me a lot better. This is on a nemo pad though, so maybe the horizontal baffles are saving me.

OP- I'm operating the in the same environs as you, my only regret is not getting a warmer quilt so it could replace my mummy further into the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by bfly View Post
    Ugh! I had a Marmot Gore-tex bag years ago. It was like sleeping in Ziploc bag. What a miserable sleeping bag. I used a Windstopper fabric bag from Mountain Hardwear for years after that and it was marginally better. I found that waterproof(ish) fabric just traps body moisture in the bag and eventually wets out the down from the inside.

I now have a couple hydrophobic down quilts that work pretty well.
    True. Years ago, I had a FF 20 degree down bag with Gore-tex shell material. It was seriously steamy inside that bag, even in the nasty conditions we had in Iceland that summer. I don't bivy or sleep outside a tent, so YMMV.
    I second the quilt suggestion. I've replaced all my family's sleeping bags with Enlightened Equipment quilts over the past few years. Much more versatile and comfortable than the down bags I've used. If you did get one with a WR shell, you'd still be able to vent better than a mummy bag.

I use their strap method & it works pretty well for me (a side sleeper who thrashes around quite a bit). A Wide quilt is warmer since you can get those sides tucked underneath you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=mHznRpNJpxU

Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    How are you using the stock EE straps on your pad? Once I realized the that the elastic band should go all the way around the pad (eg, not double layered on the bottom), my quilt stays tucked under me a lot better. This is on a nemo pad though, so maybe the horizontal baffles are saving me.
    Well, I'd like to use the straps all the way around the pad. But it's hard because we have an accomplice and an exped double pad and the accomplice straps we have are made for two individual pads.*

Geezer Steve's suggestion is like Katabatic quilt's and reduced drafty spots = better for pushing the temp rating: http://katabaticgear.com/product-manual.pdf

EE sells a set of double-wide straps, but it's still not quite as nice as the link above, IMHO. But I've been meaning to do something like Katabatic's for years and never bothered so I just ordered the double wide one. Thanks for the reminder!
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Well, I'm leaning hard toward a microfiber shell WM bag, instead of the GWS. In all of the reading I've done, I haven't come across anyone with a microfiber bag who has regretted getting it instead of GWS, but I have come across numerous accounts of someone selling their GWS shelled model to buy the identical bag with the microfiber shell.

There is a big part of me that wants the more water resistant shell, but I also know that I sweat enough to overwhelm the breathability of GTX shell clothing even at moderate exertion levels and cold temps, so I'm concerned I'll be waking up to moist, sweaty down quite a bit with the less breathable bag.

FF recently switched to Y Fuse outer shell for its 3-season bags. FF claims water beads up better on it than Nano

I think you can get them in both the YF and UL

Well, I'm leaning hard toward a microfiber shell WM bag, instead of the GWS.
    I waffled over outer material for a while when I got my WM bag because I wanted to get it right the first time when spending that kind of money. The Summerlite checked all my boxes except it was a lightweight outer and I was concerned about durability. A year later and many trips with no problems, I look forward to many more.