Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I am 5-11 and on a large Ripmo.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'm building up a new Ripmo, and I ordered a medium (I'm around 5'11"). The measurement from the back of the saddle to the middle of the handlebar is exactly the same as on my large Spot Mayhem, both with a 50mm stem. They have very similar STA and are off on the HTA by less than a degree. The large was WAY too big for me, even with a 35mm stem.
    That’s interesting. I assumed since I’ve always ridden large Ibis bikes (at 5’11”) I’d do the same with a Ripmo. Perhaps not.
    Id be curious for a Mayhem vs Ripmo comparison if you have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ripvw View Post
    That’s interesting. I assumed since I’ve always ridden large Ibis bikes (at 5’11”) I’d do the same with a Ripmo. Perhaps not.
    Id be curious for a Mayhem vs Ripmo comparison if you have the time.
    Yep, will do.... still waiting on a few parts to finish up the Ripmo, but I'm hoping to get some time on it in a couple of weeks.

And yeah, I've always ridden large Ibis bikes in the past as well (HD3, Mojo 3, Ripley, HD4) but the large Ripmo felt super long and stretched out. That's not how I personally like to ride a bike.

I'm 6' 2" and after reading this thread I am now wondering if I should always be on a XL bike instead of a L....sometimes I feel like this pedaling uphill:

Name:  9cf6a0a6308804f4e85fdfd7ec3aa4e2.jpg
Views: 2550
Size:  81.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I'm 6' 2" and after reading this thread I am now wondering if I should always be on a XL bike instead of a L....sometimes I feel like this pedaling uphill
    Sounds un-bear-able, muted.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Ride what you like and don't let anyone tell you your bike is too big or too small.

Way too many experts on "what bike fits me" on the internet these days literally causing people to sell their bikes and buy another one.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I'm 6' 2" and after reading this thread I am now wondering if I should always be on a XL bike instead of a L....sometimes I feel like this pedaling uphill:

Name:  9cf6a0a6308804f4e85fdfd7ec3aa4e2.jpg
Views: 2550
Size:  81.8 KB
    I would say yes based on what my riding group is on. 3 in my riding group are 6-2 and they have all moved to xl frames. Geometry has changed alot in the last 2 years. Longer reach, shorter stems less offset on forks, steeper set tube angles makes it hard to compare old to new sizing.
    I suggest testing a new xl for a day or 2 if possible.
    Rocky mountain and Ibis seem to fit small imo from what I have ridden compared to Specialized and Giant.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I'm building up a new Ripmo, and I ordered a medium (I'm around 5'11"). The measurement from the back of the saddle to the middle of the handlebar is exactly the same as on my large Spot Mayhem, both with a 50mm stem. They have very similar STA and are off on the HTA by less than a degree. The large was WAY too big for me, even with a 35mm stem.
    Really? I sat on a medium Ripmo and it was tiny, I’m 5-10. Haven’t been able to ride either size since no one around here has demo stock yet, so will have to
    wait until spring.

I guess it's all about what you're looking for in a bike. I personally don't like the "longer, lower, slacker" trend that bike companies are adopting these days, and the large RipMo felt like shit to me. My arms were too stretched out, and I was sitting too upright. For the terrain I like to ride, the medium fits me perfectly. I guess I could see riding a stretched-out large if I were spinning Whole Enchilada laps all day, but my average ride has over 3k feet of climbing.

For whatever it's worth, I ride a large Ripley and Mojo 3. And the bike I rode all year was the large Spot Mayhem, which has almost identical reach, ETT, and wheelbase numbers to the medium RipMo.

I guess it's all about what you're looking for in a bike. I personally don't like the "longer, lower, slacker" trend that bike companies are adopting these days, and the large RipMo felt like shit to me. My arms were too stretched out, and I was sitting too upright. For the terrain I like to ride, the medium fits me perfectly. I guess I could see riding a stretched-out large if I were spinning Whole Enchilada laps all day, but my average ride has over 3k feet of climbing.

For whatever it's worth, I ride a large Ripley and Mojo 3. And the bike I rode all year was the large Spot Mayhem, which has almost identical reach, ETT, and wheelbase numbers to the medium RipMo.
    Found a place in Reno that had a medium Ripmo I could sit on, the reach is good no large to compare it to, but need to ride a medium before I pull the trigger. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Got a couple weeks on my Ripmo and could not be happier. One thing I'd say though if your a tweener frame size I'd try and demo both sizes if possible. Last two IBIS's I went XL, with the Ripmo I went for a large but other's go for the bigger frame. The XL felt a little more monster truckish for me, the large for me was way more playful.
    TahoeBC, what is your height? I'm on a Mojo3 size large and was surprised how small it felt compared to other larges. I'm 5'11 with 31 inseam and short arms. So it fits me well. But I'm intrigued by the Ripmo and was curious about sizing experience from others.

I'm 6', 32" inseam on a Large Ripmo, 50mm stem. 40mm stem felt more playful but a touch cramped on climbs. Would not even consider going down to Medium, and could probably ride an XL with short stem. Large feels perfect - stable but still super playful. At 5'11" 31" inseam I would say Large Ripmo for sure.

^^ I'm 6'0; coming off a Mojo HD. The Rimpo Large seemed small to me. I couldn't find a XL demo, but that is what I am leaning towards.

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    ^^ I'm 6'0; coming off a Mojo HD. The Rimpo Large seemed small to me. I couldn't find a XL demo, but that is what I am leaning towards.
    Yes I would agree they tend to run on the smaller side relative to other manufacturers.

Good input. Thanks. I'm kind of a tweener due to short legs/arms so it sounds like a large RIPMO won't seem too big based off feedback here. Much appreciated.

Smmokan - How are you liking the medium Ripmo after a season? I'm in a similar boat, just under 5'10" and having a hard time getting my head around the Ibis sizing chart. I typically ride a medium on every bike. Any regrets on sizing?

So, things have changed a bit.... and I'm now wondering if that medium was somehow mislabeled and was really a large. Because now after a handful of months riding a Ripmo, I actually prefer the XL. Yep, an XL. I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam. That said, I do think it's all about riding style. I had a 5'11" advanced rider on a trip this spring in Brevard who liked the fit/feel of the medium Ripmo.

It's funny reading my comments from last year, given my current experience with the bike. I'm squarely in the large size range on the website, but with a longer travel bike that I use for more rowdy trails, I definitely prefer the bigger frame (I've ordered the large Ripley, FWIW). The large fits me perfectly fine too, but the XL just seems to be a more natural fit. I've ridden it in St. George, Fruita, Eagle, and Grand Junction and have no complaints. It does feel a *tad* big on the longer climbs, but feels much better and more stable on the descents.

At 5'10", I'd definitely go with a large Ripmo.

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback!

So, things have changed a bit.... and I'm now wondering if that medium was somehow mislabeled and was really a large. Because now after a handful of months riding a Ripmo, I actually prefer the XL. Yep, an XL. I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam. That said, I do think it's all about riding style. I had a 5'11" advanced rider on a trip this spring in Brevard who liked the fit/feel of the medium Ripmo.

It's funny reading my comments from last year, given my current experience with the bike. I'm squarely in the large size range on the website, but with a longer travel bike that I use for more rowdy trails, I definitely prefer the bigger frame (I've ordered the large Ripley, FWIW). The large fits me perfectly fine too, but the XL just seems to be a more natural fit. I've ridden it in St. George, Fruita, Eagle, and Grand Junction and have no complaints. It does feel a *tad* big on the longer climbs, but feels much better and more stable on the descents.

Great feedback.

When do I get to buy your XL?

Junior just built up a ripmo

sez its a lot like the 5.5 he had last year

lota great bikes out there so buy something that doesn't make your ass look fat
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    Great feedback.

When do I get to buy your XL?
    Not until October.... I think there's going to be a long line for these bikes, given feedback so far.

Also one thing to note if/when you size up on the frame: you lose the ability to run a longer dropper post. On the large frame, I've got a good 4" of seatpost showing when running a 150mm PNW Bachelor, which means I can easily run a 185mm, and maybe a 210mm. But that same dropper on the XL, and I've got just over an inch of wiggle room so it's pretty maxed out. It's not a huge deal for me, but it could matter for some.

So, why the Ripley over the Ripmo?

All of the bikes are for my demo fleet, so it's not really one over the other. Personally I'll ride the new Ripley more, just because that's my style and what I prefer...

All of the bikes are for my demo fleet, so it's not really one over the other. Personally I'll ride the new Ripley more, just because that's my style and what I prefer...
    That’s interesting. I know you have a bunch of time on the Spot Mayhem. How would you say it compares to the new Ripley/Ripmo twins?

I haven't ridden the new Ripley yet. But I'll say the Ripmo is essentially a more plush Mayhem. Very similar ride feel and characteristics. The Mayhem has a more firm/efficient climbing platform, while the Ripmo is much more plush and forgiving on the descents. I think overall the Ripmo is a little more playful too.

I would imagine the Ripley is much more like the Mayhem, but a lighter and quicker version. I'll have one in a few weeks, and I can compare them a bit more then. Another bike to check out is the Canyon Strive... I've got some decent trail time on one, and it's impressive. A little heavier than the Ripmo, but every bit as good. And for $4800'ish you won't find a better build kit, that's for sure.
    Last edited by smmokan; 05-18-2019 at 09:59 AM.