Buddhism is just Communism from before it was cool.

Discuss.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

BUDDHISM is cool. I see them monks at the truck stop salad bar.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

"Come'on fuckers!" -- Natural Born Killers

one is a political theory, the other a religion (sorta) or a philosophy or both (sorta), apples oranges

Not much difference between economic theories and religions.

Mahyana or Theravada

Discuss

Seriously
    . . .

I mean, the Gospels and Acts aren't exactly devoid of passages that could be taken to encourage communism either. And yet communism (or other forms of radical egalitarianism) has never been closely associated with mainstream Christianity. in most places, Buddhism has been the same.

Bhuddhism is a perceptive ontological insight, that has been perverted into a religion. Communism is an economic fairytale, that has been perverted into a political system. You don’t need either one to understand that greed is bad, and that sharing and caring is good.

Name:  IMG_1167.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  62.4 KB

Buddhism at its core is metaphysics and has nothing to do with politics or religion, but like all other "religions" it has been perverted and misinterpreted for many uses.
    Gravity Junkie

So the whole no property thing?
    No wants or desires?
    No longer stuck.

you may wish to learn about the transition of buddhist thought to the west, short bit here:
    https://info-buddhism.com/Buddhism_i..._Garfield.html

or not.

I feel like it's at least a little bit ironic that the 2 opposite ends of the economic spectrum were developed by agnostic to athiest Jews.
    No longer stuck.

Buddhism recognizes we are beings of light and energy and we are all connected to a higher power. If not for distraction and greed understanding or utilizing this power would improve life on this planet. Thought is a power tool of our existence and Buddhism teaches us this. It also acknowledges that suffering is a part of life but living in harmony with others as well as yourself will easy this unavoidable truth.
    Also, life in its present form is a transient and never the end but only the beginning. We are in a cycle of reincarnation until we evolve into a higher state of existence.
    Enlightenment is the ultimate goal but it takes hundreds or thousands of life times before we can reach Nirvana and no longer require a physical existence.
    Sounds simple enough to me that Buddhism help to change my life but this rat race makes it difficult to practice. I fall back to old habits.
    It's OK I have many more life times to get it right.

buddhism way more radical than communism

the concept of the gift economy more directly mirrors the establishment of monastic orders run on dana, the prohibition of monastics from householding/handling money, and imho the emphasis on giving rather than possession

Ontologically speaking, the notion that all laws arise and all laws pass sheds some interesting light on the pigs (both popo and capitalist overlords)

I love the two truths doctrine / madhyamaka understanding of the order of existence. In one truth, all reality has dependent origination, and thus no object exists independently of every other. In the other truth, the phenomenal world as we see it presents itself. The struggle of bringing knowledge of dependent origination into the phenomenal realm mirrors (phenomenologically only) the challenges of transcending capitalism in a world seemingly fully engulfed by it

tldr communism only speaks to social phenomena, buddhism speaks to human existence beyond social phenomena

ZzZzZzZz
    No longer stuck.

Uhhh, hologram?

The individual and the group
    The ego and the Buddha
    The alpha and the omega
    The quantum and the cosmic
    The atman and the Brahman
    The son and the father

33,000,000 seems arbitrarily large, might as well be 1 with all things considered

Will Volkl reincarnate the Gotama?
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Lot of different kinds of buddhism? Are we talking Zen, Tibetan, what?
    In Tibet they put solar powered little prayer wheels on the dashboard--like a plastic Jesus only different. I've had one going on my deck for about a month and Trump is still president so I don't think it works.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Lot of different kinds of buddhism? Are we talking Zen, Tibetan, what?
    In Tibet they put solar powered little prayer wheels on the dashboard--like a plastic Jesus only different. I've had one going on my deck for about a month and Trump is still president so I don't think it works.
    What about the situation in Tibet made you think the Buddhists' prayer wheels were good for influencing politics?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    What about the situation in Tibet made you think the Buddhists' prayer wheels were good for influencing politics?
    Good point.
    I was at a rally yesterday and they had prayer flags hanging behind the speakers. We'll see if they work any better. Prayer flags are big around here--at the top of McConkey's for example and a couple of places where people died at Squaw although I doubt if any of the people they're for were Buddhists. I think Buddhism is for a lot of Americans who don't believe in god, who want to feel "spiritual", and who don't actually understand Buddhism. (I'm not sure anyone understands Buddhism.)

All I know is that I dig what the Dalai tweets, and that he's a big hitter.