Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Bump for unguided season. I’ll be there March 21-24. Red Mtn pass is closed indefinitely https://www.tetongravity.com/video/n...-of-avalanches

Apparently Colorado gets a few avalanches, who knew? Super psyched to drive through Durango to get there.

I'll be there Thursday March 28, but probably doing a guided day as it'll be my first visit. Telluride the rest of the weekend.

With the system coming through this week it seems unlikely the pass will be clear by then either huh? Montrose to Silverton by way of Durango sounds absolutely brutal.

Thinking about heading to Silverton March 20th-24th, but lodging seems very expensive. Is it possible to tent camp on the side of the road to the ski area?

Quote Originally Posted by snophoto View Post
    Thinking about heading to Silverton March 20th-24th, but lodging seems very expensive. Is it possible to tent camp on the side of the road to the ski area?
    I have no idea, but yea lodging is a bitch. We reserved an Airbnb 3 months ago and they have increased the rate twice on us (such bullshit, whoops we charged you the wrong rate 2 weeks after booking and now they hit us with an additional $150 cleaning fee, or you can cancel but oh look there’s nothing available in town).

Tent camp in an avalanche prone area? Sounds like a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by snophoto View Post
    No that is not possible. Road and bridge ain't into it. You could backcountry camp of course. As Simple said, the whole road is pretty exposed to avalanche hazard. There are better options around including up towards Animas Forks. You try the hostel https://www.blairstreethostel.com/ ?

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I have no idea, but yea lodging is a bitch. We reserved an Airbnb 3 months ago and they have increased the rate twice on us (such bullshit, whoops we charged you the wrong rate 2 weeks after booking and now they hit us with an additional $150 cleaning fee, or you can cancel but oh look there’s nothing available in town).
    Changing rates and adding fines after booking seems sketchy af. When I hosted, i couldn't imagine getting Airbnb to approve that at all. Might be worth a phone call to HQ

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Changing rates and adding fines after booking seems sketchy af. When I hosted, i couldn't imagine getting Airbnb to approve that at all. Might be worth a phone call to HQ
    I have been hosting for 4 years. You can not change rates or add charges period. It is not legal per Airbnb terms.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    I have been hosting for 4 years. You can not change rates or add charges period. It is not legal per Airbnb terms.
    Agreed. But since he doesn't have many alternatives maybe best to hold off until after trip or cautiously broach w Airbnb? Airbnb will probably ding them and maybe ban, but he doesn't want to get caught in the cross fire

https://durangoherald.com/articles/2...ackcountry-use

Does that mean Silverton Mountain is now closed? Any updated info would be greatly appreciated. Also have current accommodations in Silverton booked for next weekends unguided season

The article didn't seem to mention Red mtn pass closed till further notice if you were going that way. Can still go from the south. No idea about the lifts though.

Silverton Mountain 18-19 - Expanded Unguided and Killer Heli Deal

My understanding is county road 10 is closed and Silvy is charging an extra $110 to fly people in but they are open. I’m guessing they will get that road open sooner than later.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

I got an email from Silverton that they are going to be open tomorrow. No mention of flying anyone in.

Well, I got called into work next week and may have jury duty beginning April 1. Hopefully I can get out there before they close.

Dirtbagging is gonna be tough compared to a lot of recent seasons. It's always been low avy/lean years the times I have gone and all roads open. Back in 2015, you could drive to the top of Ophir Pass on Masters weekend.
    This season, it's looking like in town only until some roads open.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 6.50.34 AM.png
Views: 589
Size:  277.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    My understanding is county road 10 is closed and Silvy is charging an extra $110 to fly people in but they are open. I’m guessing they will get that road open sooner than later.
    I take it back. They did fly people in today. Nice Silverton!

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Agreed. But since he doesn't have many alternatives maybe best to hold off until after trip or cautiously broach w Airbnb? Airbnb will probably ding them and maybe ban, but he doesn't want to get caught in the cross fire
    I meant it’s not possible to just change rates on a current booking. The mechanics of the website does not let you do that. So it’s not a matter of letting them sort it out, It’s just not possible to demand more money once it’s booked. There is no way to collect.

Ya, Id like to know more. It's is possible make booking alterations by request. I'm curious how it transpired. Regardless, it's something Airbnb would punish the host for if it's as blackmailey as it sounds

My buddy has the reservation in his name and he said it came through Airbnb as a request, with the option to accept or cancel the trip.

Anyone ski today for passholders day? How much did they get open?

What happened to the roll call thread? Might try for the last weekend.

Today at passholders day:

All of the lower mountain/everything off the lift was open.

West side all open over to Tiger Claw & Main.

East face nothing yet open higher than Waterfall. Heard they were working diligently to get Rope ready.

North facing and high elevation stuff skied really well. Everything else was usual SIlverton spring conditions.

A shit ton of snow everywhere.

Thanks man! I owe you a beer.

They got the Dope ramp, 1 and 4 gates open today. Open over to dope chute.

Silverton has been skiing better than I thought it would be today. Limited terrain open but good conditions. Very cool place.