Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Sounds Hughian.

speaking of whom, I checked on him a couple months back, he's still over on that wooden boat forum and seemingly hardly full of hatred and condescension at all. I mean there's a little, of course.
    tell him we miss him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    I think it was Hugh who likened the Bernese breed to Audi.
    For shit like that ^
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Our 30 y/o single son in Boston who lives in a 500sf 4th floor walk up is about to get a Bernese puppy. We have/had dogs, love dogs, but for someone in his situation seems like a dumb idea. He seems to have thought it through and he's very good or training dogs so maybe it will work. At his age I wanted freedom.

We built a run in our garage for Gus as a pup and left door into house open for our older Golden who was happy to be home alone and used dog door out to yard to come and go. Very quickly had to put a mesh roof on the pen as Gus learned to climb out before very long. He also very quickly got to the point that he wouldn't poop or pee in the pen during the day.

Used to leave NPR playing in garage so there was some degree of company. Some time after freeing him from pen life and graduating to having run of the house we discovered he would become quite agitated anytime he heard the All Things Considered jingle... it had become his alarm clock to us being nearly home every afternoon. Until very recently when at 12 his hearing went, he'd still sit up and whine excitedly when he heard the opening..

Last edited by PNWbrit; 06-28-2018 at 04:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Attachment 240146

My dog is half pyrenees, acts like a full-blooded one. He would just lay down and go to sleep after being rigged up. When he was younger I could see him maybe going a block with that thing on.
    Hah, yeah I chuckle at this whole cart pulling concept because mine just lays down and won't move after about 5 minutes of any activity. She just turned two so it'll be funny to see just how lethargic she gets as she gets older.

This might as well have been my dog, or it would be, if I ever took her on a hike.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/l...l/73-561798429
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Our 30 y/o single son in Boston who lives in a 500sf 4th floor walk up is about to get a Bernese puppy. We have/had dogs, love dogs, but for someone in his situation seems like a dumb idea. He seems to have thought it through and he's very good or training dogs so maybe it will work. At his age I wanted freedom.
    real thread drift here, but should we set him up with my single 27yo sister also in Boston who loves dogs and is a nurse (isn’t your son also a medical person too)
    tgr cupids
    skid luxury

Sorry. Can't help ya.

I don't really know any puppies with full time jobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    I don't really know any puppies with full time jobs.
    Tater might be one of the cutest dogs ever. I wonder if he ever made the team? must google more puppies
    https://www.jacksonhole.com/blog/mee...r-in-training/
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    hope the puppy gets him a girl
    He's got the girl. Even more reason not to get the dog. What's with Bernese--my other son's GF's mom has a couple that spend some time with us. Very loving, very boring dogs IMO. With huge dumps.

Doggie Dat Care can be an excellent option but they're not all the same - duh. When it clicks, it's darn near perfect, if not, immediately cut bait and keep looking. After a bad first daycare experience my wife, who get's really attached to her dogs (as opposed to my dogs) takes her terrier to a day care near her work and it was a perfect fit - after 2 weeks my wife's dog was basically running the place - they were using her as the first level screening for prospective new clients - without Elsa's Stamp of Approval a dog was politely but firmly shown the door. I demanded remuneration, but got the hairy eyeball from everyone including Elsa.

Another option is get two puppies, to keep each other occupied, but beware - the early adolescent mayhem grows exponentially.

I think I would take any full time job that also offered me a puppy. Win-win.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

I'd be in favor of a dog that could pay its own way, personally. Most of 'em are such damn freeloaders.

Mine is a total freeloader. Lazy as fuck.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

If you leave it outside all day unattended, use an anti-bark device so it's not barking and whining all day disturbing your neighbors while you are gone. Being a conscientious and proactive dog owner can help avoid a lot of problems. The simple fact that you are seeking advice here is an indication that you will be a good dog owner.

Getting a puppy with full-time job

Starke was a maly/bernese cross. Chillest 100lbs dog ever. A lady killer and the bane of any overly curious black bear or over-sexed moose. Lost enough undercoat in his 13 yrs to knit a sweater soft enough to rival angora. Carried 30lbs off trail, and still managed to catch an alpine gofer for dinner. Respected the chain of command, but would test the limits of authority if the desire took him. As others have said, -30C was much more comfortable for him than +30C; it was summer heatwave that was his final demise. I miss him dearly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0133.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	957.7 KB 
ID:	240167
    Name:  IMG_1019.JPG
Views: 180
Size:  355.4 KB

I don’t think a bernese cross would be too adversely affected by you lifestyle, as long as the time at home made up for it. All the swiss mtn hounds I have met like to know their place and understand a task expected from them, as do most working breeds. Best of luck!
    Last edited by BCMountainHound; 06-28-2018 at 09:10 PM.

Dog walker and Crate while you're training them where & when to piss. After that a dog door, but with a Bermese you may as well just leave the fucking door open.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    real thread drift here, but should we set him up with my single 27yo sister also in Boston who loves dogs and is a nurse (isn’t your son also a medical person too)
    tgr cupids
    He's a surgery resident. As a nurse she knows better. (I'm sure my nurse wife wonders what the hell she was thinking every day, starting with our honeymoon which was a backpacking trip.)

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    If you leave it outside all day unattended, use an anti-bark device so it's not barking and whining all day disturbing your neighbors while you are gone. Being a conscientious and proactive dog owner can help avoid a lot of problems. The simple fact that you are seeking advice here is an indication that you will be a good dog owner.
    this this this. Im sensitive to sounds, and a dog barking all day will seriously drive me in sane. I usually end up day drinking to try and block it out.

Take a few days to leave work early so you don't get a dog that's a spaz from being locked in a crate all day.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardMech View Post
    this this this. Im sensitive to sounds, and a dog barking all day will seriously drive me in sane. I usually end up day drinking to try and block it out.
    I work at home so it's an issue for me. Neighbors have a dog who is paid no attention 23.5 hours a day. I feel bad for him in his small kennel, but that's not my business. But they did use an anti-bark device to fix the problem. And frankly dogs aren't happy barking and whining constantly IMO. It stresses them out too. And it's usually easy to correct.

I get annoyed at cats that meow. Thankfully my new cat, which my kids harass endlessly, is amazingly quiet. Even when she meows I cant hear her. Shes been stuck in cabinets, closets, bathrooms, etc., and I never hear her. Usually it me accidentally running into to her after O start wondering where she is.

I’m here to make a joke about jobs for puppies, but I see you guys have that covered.

Are there not dog child labor laws? I feel like peta would not let minor dogs work full time. Maybe try a union dog?

Wish i could give some sound advice on raising a dog properly but i can't. On my third dog and he's a terror.

The first two lived to 15 and 16. Never believed in collars leashes crates or training. More of the free range parenting style. To this day I'm proud of liberty she would run all over town disappear for a night or two and always come home. Not sure what some tourist made of her wandering down main street.

Then just before she went off to college some do gooder trapped her and eventually called the shelter. I thought she finally had gotten eaten by a coyote. It was a mess she was all skin and bones so I got a few tickets and had to prove she was under vet care plus I ended up registering her and her brother for the first time in their lives.

I'm raising the terror the same way but he does have a collar. He rides around in the car all day. Gets out every where. Goes into stores. Condos. Buildings. Wanders around on the street. I just tell people he's a therapy dog. Runs around does whatever. When it's time to go I yell real loud and he shows up a few minutes later and jumps in the car. I do feel weird sometimes when he gets to do whatever he wants while other dogs are leashed up or restrained. He did run in front of a police car in town a few days ago. So I waved and smiled. The cop shook his head at me.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Well enough about dogs, what does everyone think about jesus, gun control and immigration?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well enough about dogs, what does everyone think about jesus, gun control and immigration?
    just fuck ostrichs, that'll do everything right.