Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I'm waiting for an anecdote.
    I chortled. Thank you.

I'm waiting for an anecdote.
    Haha. For once I got nothing. As far as I know, I've never known a "plig" or even anybody else who knows one.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I chortled.
    Indeed. Actually made me laugh too.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Statements such as these sound an awful lot like what people have said about the gay community over the years. Again, not defending it, but I do see a parallel with the arguments against.
    Except that was people making shit up. The evidence for forced underage marriage, subjugation of adult women, expulsion of young men, and other types of severe abuse in these FLDS enclaves is overwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Except that was people making shit up. The evidence for forced underage marriage, subjugation of adult women, expulsion of young men, and other types of severe abuse in these FLDS enclaves is overwhelming.
    Obviously the issue is not polygamy, the FLDS can get around polygamy laws easily enough, anyway. It's the child slavery. (8 year olds, Dude.)

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Obviously the issue is not polygamy, the FLDS can get around polygamy laws easily enough, anyway. It's the child slavery. (8 year olds, Dude.)
    Wasn't Deebased defending child brides here a little while back?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I have him on ignore.

How many does he have?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    yea he was trying to use the argument that bc in other countries girls got married at 12, 13, 14 yo that it is not that odd.
    creepy
    skid luxury

I have him on ignore.

How many does he have?

Odds are none, although he calls his right hand Hanna and his left hand Sarah.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I think this is true if polygamy was practiced on a large scale, but it is unlikely to be in the US. Right now, the group with the biggest lack of marriageable partners are actually (esp educated) black women. And marriage rates overall are declining. I don't think polygamy would be widely practiced even if legal.

But aside from that I'm a little hesitant to associate legality with social stability. It's often been used to justify not changing things (though I understand it as a more general goal).

Why will they have less marketable skills than they do now? Do we assume that there is just some untapped market out there of women wanting to do nothing but stay home who can't find a single husband to support that but could share one and do it? It's not as if a bunch of women who are currently going to Harvard are going to drop out to become third wives. And, just based on marriages tend to shake out, it's likely to be the well off who attract multiple wives anyway. Why let poor men have even one wife?

Because, duh, inbreeding. It brought down the royalty and aristocracy. Genetics, dude.