Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: poopers

poopers

school me. Smallmouth stream fishing has sucked here this year because it's effin' rained every 2-3 days or more frequently since about May 1. It's killing the best time of the year for me. But, last time I was on the river there were monstrous carp hanging in a foot or so of water mudding away. What's my first move? Ok, my 2nd move because my first move was to toss a 3 inch long streamer about a foot away from them and strip the hell out of it because that's what I do for smallies when sightfishing and with some success usually. The carps were not impressed.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    2 kinds
    happy and unhappy
    dont waste time casting on the latter
    and try not to convert the 1st ones
    once they know your presence
    your odds are very low
    down size dramatically from 3" and rarely will the aggressively eat or chase
    there is no defending space attacking instinct or chasing down a fast strip
    that fly needs to show up in front of their face as quietly and nonchalant as it can
    i rarely throw anything with weight in the head
    they dont like the splash and you need to strip a weighted fly to fast to keep it from sinking outta the strike zone
    theyll eat about anything but sometimes maddenly nothing
    its addicting
    dont start
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

and if you do start
    consider hiring a life coach
    with poopfishing life skills
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    and if you do start
    consider hiring a life coach
    with poopfishing life skills
    So, what do you do with those suckers? Is there anyway to prepare them so they taste OK? Or just give it to the dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    So, what do you do with those suckers? Is there anyway to prepare them so they taste OK? Or just give it to the dogs?
    You have to cut the lateral line out of the filet. The lateral line is more sensory organ than meat. AKA the blood line or mud line, it's the oily reddish stripe running down the filet. That is the where the strong flavor comes from. Other species (like stripers or catfish) also improve in flavor if the blood line is trimmed from the filet but with common carp removing it is pretty much mandatory. A brief soak in salted water or milk will pull out some more fishyness.

Even so, it's still a bit fishy; perhaps more so than most Americans like to eat. The rest of the world loves the stuff. Don't saute up a simple filet like it was Dover sole or halibut; it needs something more than lemon and butter (unless you like a strong flavored fish like mackerel). It works best with traditional Asian and African recipes like curries, braises and spicy fish stews. Carp has been on the menu there for millennia. Pair it with strong flavors like ginger, garlic, shallots, spices, curries, chilies, fermented bean pastes, shaoxing wine, etc.. If you'll eat farm raised tilapia or catfish, then you probably won't balk at the flavor of properly filleted carp. Of course, the quality of the water is reflected in the quality of the meat. Carp feeding in muddy, algae slime water are going to taste crappy. Carp from clean rivers and lakes are what you want. I've read that bighead and silver carp are better (i.e. less fishy) for the table than the common carp but that common carp is much better than the lowly mud carp most often eaten in Asia. I have only tried common carp.

Name:  carpmudvein400-56a36bf15f9b58b7d0d1e2b6.JPG
Views: 359
Size:  22.2 KB
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-27-2018 at 04:42 PM.

I use corn. Hot dogs don’t stay on the hook good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That's how we would catch them when I was a kid. Fishing corn on the bottom for trout.

bread dough

POOPERS!

Been slaying the poops lately. Gotta have the right fly though. This one has been getting it done for me but is kinda hell on the backcast. I only fishit on 12 ft spey utilizing the highly technical double lindy cast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040240And4more_tonemapped-1024x768.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	240102

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    You have to cut the lateral line out of the filet. The lateral line is more sensory organ than meat. AKA the blood line or mud line, it's the oily reddish stripe running down the filet. That is the where the strong flavor comes from. Other species (like stripers or catfish) also improve in flavor if the blood line is trimmed from the filet but with common carp removing it is pretty much mandatory. A brief soak in salted water or milk will pull out some more fishyness.

Even so, it's still a bit fishy; perhaps more so than most Americans like to eat. The rest of the world loves the stuff. Don't saute up a simple filet like it was Dover sole or halibut; it needs something more than lemon and butter (unless you like a strong flavored fish like mackerel). It works best with traditional Asian and African recipes like curries, braises and spicy fish stews. Carp has been on the menu there for millennia. Pair it with strong flavors like ginger, garlic, shallots, spices, curries, chilies, fermented bean pastes, shaoxing wine, etc.. If you'll eat farm raised tilapia or catfish, then you probably won't balk at the flavor of properly filleted carp. Of course, the quality of the water is reflected in the quality of the meat. Carp feeding in muddy, algae slime water are going to taste crappy. Carp from clean rivers and lakes are what you want. I've read that bighead and silver carp are better (i.e. less fishy) for the table than the common carp but that common carp is much better than the lowly mud carp most often eaten in Asia. I have only tried common carp.

Name:  carpmudvein400-56a36bf15f9b58b7d0d1e2b6.JPG
Views: 359
Size:  22.2 KB
    Cannot tell if serious or elaborate troll to have billy eat a poofish???

The taking em from clean water makes me think not troll. I couldn't imagine eating one from the polluted superfund site near the lindon boatharbor where SFB showed me the ways but maybe a golden bone from the gorge might taste less like hot garbage? Think I would just pickup the other rod in the boat and throw streamers to the dropoff on the edge of the flats the bones are on and pickup a rainbow if I'm that hungry.

I'm now considering bringing a carp souffle to the BBISoli19 POTluck.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post

The taking em from clean water makes me think not troll. I couldn't imagine eating one from the polluted superfund site near the lindon boatharbor where SFB showed me the ways but maybe a golden bone from the gorge might taste less like hot garbage? Think I would just pickup the other rod in the boat and throw streamers to the dropoff on the edge of the flats the bones are on and pickup a rainbow if I'm that hungry.

Yeah, interesting info, but I’m not interested in eating suckers. Not a big fan of most fresh water fish, although trout are OK. As far as people eating them world wide, I guess people will eat most anything if they get hungry enough.

When I was a youngster, there were epic sucker runs ("redhorse suckers"..they called them ?) in my river of childhood. They went up to a dam and there were a million of them below the dam. I would snag a shitload of them with giant treble hooks and my mom and her friends would make a big gross fish stew and bury all the heads and guts in the garden.

Hillbilly stuff.

Carp is the world's largest aquaculture product. Carp is more widely consumed worldwide than salmon or shrimp. The Chinese have been farming carp for 2000 years. The common carp, which I believe is what Dibs is catching, was once considered to be such a valuable fish that its use was designated for China's imperial courts. The peasant markets were restricted to selling the less desirable mud carp. Look it up!

I guess it's like comparing venison to beef. Just as venison is gamier than beef and gamier than most Americans want to eat, carp is a bit more fishy than what appeals to most American's sense of taste. IMHO, it isn't any worse than tilapia.

Been slaying the poops lately. Gotta have the right fly though. This one has been getting it done for me but is kinda hell on the backcast. I only fishit on 12 ft spey utilizing the highly technical double lindy cast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040240And4more_tonemapped-1024x768.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	240102
    Cheese doodle & what? Is that a baby seal brain?

Haven’t tried that fly yet...

The New Flyfisherman did an episode up in Alcova.

https://youtu.be/lGEay8ghbcI

Looks like fun. I would make that drive from Denver, but I don't have a boat.

Have 7 wt....will travel for poopfish ;-)
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

^^^The jumpers are Silver Carp which are supposed to be tasty.

Never eaten carp and probably never will. I would be willing to try it though. I remember hearing as a kid that smoked carp was supposed to be pretty damn good.

Catching them is fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Never eaten carp and probably never will. I would be willing to try it though. I remember hearing as a kid that smoked carp was supposed to be pretty damn good.

Catching them is fun though.
    I would at least try a bite. I mean, it couldn’t be worse than lutefisk, could it? I managed to get some of that down without barfing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ^^^The jumpers are Silver Carp which are supposed to be tasty.
    Asian carp and are invasive and will destroy a waterway. Once they’re in they are impossible to remove.

Smoked carp is very good.

grassies suck there are hudge sterile ones in the fishin ranch i belong to and the fuckers wont eat anything i throw
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    The New Flyfisherman did an episode up in Alcova.

https://youtu.be/lGEay8ghbcI

Looks like fun. I would make that drive from Denver, but I don't have a boat.

Have 7 wt....will travel for poopfish ;-)
    in a lot of situations the less water displacement and the stealth of the sup
    keeps em happy way longer especially in shallower water
    and in the wind shores best sometimes

Carp are great fun on a bow. Used to stalk them on the Passaic River back in Jersey as a teenager. Whacking 3 foot fish as they rooted around the mud flats from the high banks was a good time. They were spooky when up in the flats so there was some challenge. When we got one we would just push the arrow through to unscrew the fishing tip to pull the arrow out and throw the beasts back with a big hole in them. Then would swim away. Must have shot 100 or two over those years. Never any shortage of carp to plug the next weekend.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 06-29-2018 at 05:54 AM.

thats odd catch and release bow fishing
    most of the bow fucks round here
    manage kill shots and leave the carcasses to rot and stench

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    thats odd catch and release bow fishing
    most of the bow fucks round here
    manage kill shots and leave the carcasses to rot and stench
    Bow fucks? Aren't we so high and mighty. Just sending them back to be fed upon by their own kind. Kill shot. Hilarious. You have no clue what you're talking about. Fishing with a bow is the tradition in the Americas as much as a hook. Carp are garbage coming out the Passaic. Think every cut throat you hook on a fly and release live? Judge not....

All Carp are "Asian" and could be considered invasive. It's all relative to the location. In Qc, fishing for Atlantic Salmon they think Rainbow Trout are garbage. There's a sign posted where you buy your daily permit to destroy them if you catch them. Following that ethic, all the carp you catch should be thrown in the bushes.

In the Mirmachi in New Brunswick....the Stripers coming into the estuary every spring are a blight. "You'll catch one on every cast!", our guide told us in frustration when talking about the spring Salmon season. My Dad laughed afterwards thinking about all the guys back home in Jersey hunting relentlessly for Stripers on the Jersey shore all spring. Catch a Striper on the Mirmachi....throw it on the bank to die. Lol.

hey bro ask your buds to clean their mess
    put em in the garden garbage or whatever
    only assholes leave dead shit they killed to rot and stink
    and yes it takes immensely more skill to get em to eat vrs the under 10' shot with a compound bow
    but keep yappin like you know what your talking about
    even if it isnt what the op asked