Car rental experts

Edit: My trip is long over, don't answer my questions. Scroll down for new posts.

I rent cars very rarely, and usually don't have a ton of driving to do. But next month I am renting a car for almost two weeks, and will probably cover 1000 miles or so in that time. I have a dirt-cheap reservation, so I'm set on the tiny shitbox, I mean car.

But what I am wondering is this: do most/all rental cars these days have some kind of aux input for the stereo? If I can play tunes and audiobooks from my phone this will be much easier. Is there some other option I'm not considering? I used to use one of those ipod/fm transmitter things and won't be doing so this time, but maybe something else? Should I just bring a small bluetooth speaker and plan on playing that?
    Last edited by Danno; 10-23-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

a true shitbox won't have even a lineout jack, but most modern vehicles will have some way to plug in

All depends on the car. Some shitboxes have nothing, but depending on brand and model you might get bluetooth. See if you can amend your reservation to include "must have bluetooth", and if it doesn't they may put you in something different (better) that does.

that's the car, not that it is a rental and unless it is over 10 years old, nearly impossible on a rental; there should be no problem.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Heading to MD? Just ask iceman for his wifi password.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I don't think I've rented anything in the last few years that didn't at least have an AUX in, most have Bluetooth.
    My last rental was a total base model 2016 Nissan Versa that was a POS in every way, but it did have an AUX In.

The most important thing with rentals is to drive fast and take chances.

Every rental car I've had in the last several years has had some sort of input -- some with USB, some with 1/8" aux jack. I bring with my own 1/8" to 1/8" cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    The most important thing with rentals is to drive fast and take chances.
    Get the insurance and enter a demolition derby! If not that, rentals are always a great time to work on your J turns and drift skills.

When I rent a car, I always seem to see 30 peoples blue tooth connections they never delete. I don't know why but it scares me.

Aside from the input jack, make sure your rental allows for you to travel out of state and no mileage penalty.

Had some ski friends rent a car in SLC and drive to Truckee for 3-4 days of skiing. Ended up being about a $1,200 rental.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Car rental experts

Ask the agent at the counter to make sure that they select a car for you that has one. As mentioned above, some shitbox they have on the lot in the small shitbox rental class will have the aux connection.

That’s always worked for me when I rent an SUV to ensure it has AWD/4WD. Actually forgot to do it a couple months ago and alas, FWD suv. As soon as they say hi what’s your name, begin with the request.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Every rental car I've had in the last several years has had some sort of input -- some with USB, some with 1/8" aux jack. I bring with my own 1/8" to 1/8" cable.
    Cool, that's what I was hoping for! Will have the aux jack, and will have a usb cord, and the phone does bluetooth, so sounds like I'm good with at least one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Aside from the input jack, make sure your rental allows for you to travel out of state and no mileage penalty.

Had some ski friends rent a car in SLC and drive to Truckee for 3-4 days of skiing. Ended up being about a $1,200 rental.
    Huh? The only places I saw that didn't have unlimited miles were the little local non-national car rental places. In any case, I'm renting from Budget and have unlimited miles.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Ask the agent at the counter to make sure that they select a car for you that has one. As mentioned above, some shitbox they have on the lot in the small shitbox rental class will have the aux connection.

That’s always worked for me when I rent an SUV to ensure it has AWD/4WD. Actually forgot to do it a couple months ago and alas, FWD suv. As soon as they say hi what’s your name, begin with the request.
    Will do. This is a small airport (Allentown) which means it should be easier to make the ask, but the car selection may be limited.

Yeah, you'll be fine.

Another renting tip is that Costco Travel seems to have the best pricing. And the cost to upgrade to an intermediate is often peanuts.

That said, this could be a chance for another "What bluetooth speaker??" thread.

Car rental experts

Just thought of this - if you have an iPhone with lightning you will have your charger with you. If not, bring one of these-

https://www.ebay.com/p/3-5mm-AUX-Aud...3655378&chn=ps

Aux to USB adapter. Car may only take audio from USB, that is possibly the latest standard on le tiny shitbox.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Yeah, you'll be fine.

Another renting tip is that Costco Travel seems to have the best pricing. And the cost to upgrade to an intermediate is often peanuts.

That said, this could be a chance for another "What bluetooth speaker??" thread.
    Costco travel is a great car rental resource. USAA (for those who are members) is also a good one. That said, I found a crazy rate on kayak, through priceline. Under $350 for an almost 2 week rental. I haven't been able to recreate this rate through subsequent searches anywhere, but I do have it locked in!

I'll be bringing the bluetooth speaker just in case!

even my 2010 ford ranger with the rubber floor mats and power nothing has an aux jack

I don't rent cars much either, we had a shit box reserved but the agent in Lisbon talked me into a BMW

yeah it was mo money but on a yurpean motoring holiday wtf eh

and we never had a sore butt
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

How much will you be spending on a rental car over 2 weeks? That's your craigslist shopping price. The best part, at that price point, you're probably also buying a storied classic!

Make sure it has cruise control. Rented a car to drive SLC to Boise for a weekend and it had a.m./fm only and no cruise. Worst car ever. It was from Avis I think. Went to the airport in Boise and demanded a better car for the drive home.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    350$ for 2 weeks unlimited mileage seems like a winner.
    Where did you find that?!

I’m looking to make a big road trip and am trying to find options.

I’m also looking to maybe do a one way rental and fly back. Are there any options for one way rentals that are somewhat reasonable?

Uhaul?

The last time I rented a car in middle of nowhere PA (last year in Williamsport) I got a super economy car that had no AUX input and no cruise control. It was an Enterpise rental FWIW.

I think your best bet is to call the rental car place in Allentown, tell them what reservation class you have and ask them if their entire class of that fleet has bluetooth and/or Aux input capability.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Where did you find that?!

I’m looking to make a big road trip and am trying to find options.

I’m also looking to maybe do a one way rental and fly back. Are there any options for one way rentals that are somewhat reasonable?
    I used costco, USAA, and kayak. Reserved the best deal I could find,, and searched regularly for better deals (and rebooked when I found one). Try doing one way options with different companies and different rental locations. Not long ago, I reserved a car at LGA and dropped it off in midtown for no extra charge, but only one of the companies didn't charge me extra when I was searching. So you might find a free or low charge one-way rental, don't assume that all companies will be the same.