Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    That first pitch is legit expert skiing even in good conditions. Throw in some super sketch ice and it's a slide for life at the drop of a hat.

Thank goodness for those shitters, it'd be a long haul to the next one....

The first day we (me'n Vets) were there it rained and the hill was shut due to genny probs.
    Next day that run to skier's right of the poma was bullet-proof ice moguls. I was all "We drove all the way from Tahoe for this?"
    Thankfully it softened up.

As for the poop tardis, second day we were booting up in the lot and a woman poked her head outta one of 'em and yelled across the lot "anybody got any TP?"
    Both me'n Vets keep a roll in our AT packs, so we tossed her one and got a happy smile and a thank you.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Traveling with your own TP is generally a good idea in the larger area; even the forest service and park service options can be a crapshoot after a busy weekend.

The next closest sit-down establishment is at Vista point, beyond that it would be one of the campgrounds or all the way back to town. In the other direction, I'm pretty sure there's a trailhead latrine or two before Top of the World. If you happen to be traveling the pass on a motorcycle, the cement latrines may be your best option if caught in a lightning storm.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

to borrow Two phrases,

' Traveling with your own TP is generally a good idea... '

for some reason at midnight, brings me to,

' this thread delivers. '

Thank you -
    ( it ain't been a great week. )

Thank you. skiJ

I guess the news from BB is surprising to nobody that has been paying attention. It looks like it is and has been snowing a bit at Red Lodge now and 8 to 14 day medium temp outlook is leaning colder than normal.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Photos don't look too bad, and they are at 97% of average snowpack

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    they are at 97% of average snowpack
    What data and time period for average are you using? April sure provided (in many places)!

Quote Originally Posted by 2_1_3 View Post
    What data and time period for average are you using? April sure provided (in many places)!
    https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref...mal_update.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    Don't forget about the pig races...
    Those pig races are a fricking blast !

https://www.redlodge.com/bearcreek/

Name:  Image1651704563.731779.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  73.5 KB

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Those pig races are a fricking blast !

https://www.redlodge.com/bearcreek/

Name:  Image1651704563.731779.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  73.5 KB

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Aaw man, I'm going, that's all there is to it.

I'm fuckin' goin'.

I click the map on NWS right about where BB sits and this is what it shows. This gives us another full week where the snowpack isn't being hammered by warm air, and possibly even building.

Been cold, rainy, and windy AF here in Iowa but today the weather turned and stupid heat is inbound as we go from heating season to AC season with no window season. Fucking stupid, so mentally checked out of this place.

Anyway, here is some weather stoke.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbweather.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	415564

Rained like hell early this am in Bzn.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-07 at 08-38-01 Alpine Station Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	415587
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Just announced they won't be opening.

Damn.

https://www.facebook.com/10479012034...9610688800342/

This likely changes our plans. With a 12 year old lift served is the icing on top that makes the trip worth it.

Hopefully 2023.

Just a thought -

go to A. Basin for Memorial Day weekend...

( we did this in '96, and got ten inches of Fresh -
    locals claimed it was one of the best days of the season... )

they also closed the lifts for an hour during a lightening storm (!)

ride the train at Georgetown...

it was a Good adventure !
    ( and not too far from Iowa ! )

skiJ

Thanks Skij. Can't make that happen with work but Basin summer skiing isn't really comparable to BB anyway. Been there for it. Fun but nowhere near the terrain nor does it have the surrounds. Plus it is melting fast I read from the Colorado thread. Will be in Colorado for Widespread Panic at Red Rocks later in June to give Colorado some lovin' amen.

Will mull over options. Bummer but not world ending and if nothing else this trip has motivated me to get our 4Runner tuned up and road trip worthy and trail ready.

wouldn't have to be Memorial weekend -

( oh. Loveland Pass is not Beartooth Pass (?)
    certainly True. )
    likely to still be skiers at Beartooth If there is snow...

longer drives -
    I've skied Snowbird in June
    ( but I think I have read of a tram upgrade ), And for a long drive is mt. hood ( Palmer snowfield ) 😬

mountain bikes to the North Shore, Keewenew, or Black Hills ?

Good luck ! skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Thanks Skij. Can't make that happen with work but Basin summer skiing isn't really comparable to BB anyway. Been there for it. Fun but nowhere near the terrain nor does it have the surrounds. Plus it is melting fast I read from the Colorado thread. Will be in Colorado for Widespread Panic at Red Rocks later in June to give Colorado some lovin' amen.

Will mull over options. Bummer but not world ending and if nothing else this trip has motivated me to get our 4Runner tuned up and road trip worthy and trail ready.

Yeah, this ain't the year for a summer ski trip to CO or UT. The amount of dust and rapid melting is unbelievable. If you find yourself in these parts on your June trip the first beer is on me!

Damn. Bummer

Should do a meet up mag mini. Hiking and chilling

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Yeah, this ain't the year for a summer ski trip to CO or UT. The amount of dust and rapid melting is unbelievable. If you find yourself in these parts on your June trip the first beer is on me!
    We might be down your way in August for the Weminuche, depending on fires. Will ping if we make it.

Found a decent Boundary Waters permit that was left over for entry 14 so I jumped on that and a lightweight canoe to rent at nearby Crane Lake where the permit will be. I think we might do just that. Been since I was 17 and in high school that I planned and executed a boundary waters trip. Daughter seems stoked on the idea.

Boundary Waters is special --

headnets, gloves, and insect repellent is encouraged for early June !

Bummer. Weird too, since red lodge had a decent season. Guess the snow doesn't make it's way up to the pass necessarily. Or the northerly storms which hit RL blow the snow out of the basin?

I thought the predominant flow was out of the SW up there given the aspects cornices form on, but I could be wrong

had a bad feeling up them opening after seeing those pics of rock creek a few weeks ago

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Bummer. Weird too, since red lodge had a decent season. Guess the snow doesn't make it's way up to the pass necessarily. Or the northerly storms which hit RL blow the snow out of the basin?
    I think the high elevation stuff also tends to do better with snow throughout the winter versus the spring-tilted snowfall that Red Lodge got this year (IIRC), but either way, four winter/spring cycles out there was not enough for me to figure out any reliable way to figure out snow conditions up high without going up there or talking to someone who had.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

I'm still planning on going up next weekend.

My money says there's plenty of snow to turn on and my Pass activities have never really revolved around that poma anyway.

Gardiner and rock creek have always provided good times and more when the coverage is phat.
    Also, it'll be quieter than usual for opening weekend, so there's that.

I might be able to make Sunday Monday. Should have it off.