Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Do it! Sounds like a cool dad/daughter adventure. If you can push your dates to later in June you can join SVS and I.
    I have that week off work, so probably can't move the dates, our summer calendar is first come first serve and I have to request before the first of the year to get seniority rights. I was browsing some nearby campsites and availability is really good Sun-Thurs and found a nice site just off I-90 for the drive out. Remote camping is a blast but with my daughter and no wife around to help me manage the chaos I think we'd have more fun being somewhere with a semblance of infrastructure.

Kind of just play it by ear. If everything is opened up and it works within the regs I'll be ready to go with a shit bucket and have somewhere to stay. If not I'll stay home and we'll waterski all week, which was the original plan.

Gotcha. Djongo gave me some real good beta on campsites a few years ago when I went up. I think the thread got deleted though.

I want to know that easy access spot for car camp. Camping in remote area sounds good but knowing it’s a bear county, I rather sleep in back of my car where there is a cell signal.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    I want to know that easy access spot for car camp. Camping in remote area sounds good but knowing it’s a bear county, I rather sleep in back of my car where there is a cell signal.

Cell signal Lol

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

We’ve slept in the gravel lot for the sites at long lake. The actual sites were closed but no one bothered us. Pit toilets were open but not sure if they are now. Don’t think there was cell coverage.

You lose cell service pretty quick south of red lodge and dont get a signal again until Cody or Gardiner

When me'n Vets made the trek 3 summers ago I saw plenty of folks camped at what looked like a campground at the base of the pass just outside of Red Lodge.
    We also saw quite a few folks who had just pitched tents at some of the various turn-outs dotting the highway from Red Lodge to Beartootj Basin.
    Sadly, I don't recall what the cell service was like where I saw folks camped, but we saw a lot of camper vans and tents on the drive each morning (we were bougie and had a hotel room in RL).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    You lose cell service pretty quick south of red lodge and dont get a signal again until Cody or Gardiner
    AT&T service is sometimes usable at state line. Verizon may have spots where you can pick up a signal, too, but I'm not exactly sure where.

The Clay Butte lookout tower also has an AT&T signal IIRC.

But yes, the safest bet is to expect a distinct lack of service. I'm 98% sure you need a satellite device for reliable communications anywhere near Main Fork (the USFS road at the base of the pass on the Red Lodge side).

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Verizon had perfect reception last year at the Hanging Couloir roadside parking spot. Also if you stand in just the right spot at the top of Gardner Headwall, you can make a call.

Bears only attack when they know you can’t call for help. MT side is safer, and camp near some obnoxious rednecks and you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Bears only attack when they know you can’t call for help. MT side is safer, and camp near some obnoxious rednecks and you will be fine.
    Will you be joining us sometime around the 20th?

Thanks, I’ll probably roll up solo and cell service is for my gf and my toddler. Most likely it’s 3 days, 2 nights thing for me.

Btw, did anyone go on opening weekend?

Thanks, I’ll probably roll up solo and cell service is for my gf and my toddler. Most likely it’s 3 days, 2 nights thing for me.

Btw, did anyone go on opening weekend?

I have zero inside information but twitter says they moved opening day to June 1st.

Also I always roll with my Garmin Inreach. Being out of cell range is a good thing for me. The Inreach is perfect for keeping in touch with the SO when out of range...which seems like everywhere I find to car camp.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Boo — welp the odds were not in my favor!! If anyone is heading to BT this weekend for some human powered laps I’ve got reservations at the limber pine campground May 29-31.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I have zero inside information but twitter says they moved opening day to June 1st.
    Huh, that's what their website says too, but they haven't posted anything on Facebook, still says May 30. You'd think they would update that. June 1st probably makes more sense since that's the day the travel restrictions get lifted and Montana enters "phase 2."

I'll probably be there second week in June.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Huh, that's what their website says too, but they haven't posted anything on Facebook, still says May 30. You'd think they would update that. June 1st probably makes more sense since that's the day the travel restrictions get lifted and Montana enters "phase 2."

I'll probably be there second week in June.
    I've got a a site at Greenough Lake Campground Sun-Thur morning that week if it works out. Lots of variables. Will be with my 10 yo grom. Look me up and we can have a distant beer.

is the skiing worth the travel, or is just because it's summer skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    Lol

summer skiing it is.

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    Yes

https://beartoothbasin.com/covid-19

80 person/day limit for day tickets, no reservation system. I'm wondering if crowds on weekends will be heavier than normal due to the lack of lift served skiing this spring? I'm concerned about getting shut out, particularly on the weekend days.

Latest update:

What our guests need to know regarding this seasons Covid-19 regulations available in the link in bio.

For various reasons we are now opening June 1. But the Beartooth Pass is open!

We have a daily limit of 80 riders, plus teams and season pass holders. Online sales for tickets are the way to go! But due to limited connectivity at the Basin you’ll have up to 9pm the day before to get your tickets.

We can’t wait! Please only send DMs with legitimate questions. We’re to busy to respond in the comments and filter unnecessary trolls. Thanks!

#spiritofskiing #beartoothbasin

https://www.facebook.com/10479012034...bstory_index=0

Just purchased my 2020 season's pass

80 person/day limit for day tickets, no reservation system. I'm wondering if crowds on weekends will be heavier than normal due to the lack of lift served skiing this spring? I'm concerned about getting shut out, particularly on the weekend days.
    Yep. Hopefully we get some feedback this week. If I go I'm just doing weekdays.

Ive never seen 80 people including ski campers there at 9am let alone not including ski campers and pass holders. However there is a slight risk of a sell out to which i say the risk is worth the reward. If you're in the Parking lot by 830 and you purchased your ticket in advance id say there's no way your not going skiing that day. You are pretty damn good at beating the clusterfuck crowds in LCC apply that strategy tobthe Basin and you'll be fine