Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Still worth it to bring skis?
    Have a working thumb and don't mind a bit of hiking? Then definitely!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

looking to be there this fri if weather and lift is a go.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CP17Pg9A...dium=copy_link

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I'll be up there shortly weather permitting lift or no. Any of you fuckers want to ski or argue about politics send me a message.

I'm 9 weeks out from a partial acl tear. Tested the knee at a basin's closing. High speed steeps on smoothish snow is a go but remain wary of bushwacking in ski boots, hop turns, or shit snow but would like to climb some steep things and then schuss down them.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

I could meet the great Leroy Jenkins and do backcountry blues. That's perfect for me. It's this weekend though.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

I'll rehash a little info:

The highway runs south out of red lodge for about 8 miles to the base of the pass, then about 6-8? more to get to the summit.
    Before ascending, the campsites will be on the right. That is the turnout for almost all camping in the valley, beside Rock creek which runs for miles down past. The FS campzones are greenough, limber pine and parkside methinks, Past them and onto the dirt road will access all of the free camping. Dozens of spots.

To ski, drive up the pass; when you see the big chutes at the turnout, stop and recon these, that's Rock creek couloir in the middle.. One parks at the stateline lot and hikes out to the entrance, then down and over to the switchback lot to hitch up and do it again if good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCC.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	376696

Further up at the summit area, the top tower of the Poma is about all you can see. This is the 'Basin' and where all lift served is at. Beyond that you can recon Gardiner headwall from a turnout then drive up, walk 50 paces to the entry which is cake and ski down. Hike up and out about half the elevation to the turnout you reconned from. Laps...

Gardiner faces the sunrise so early turns to be had there, like before 8. Basin gets less direct sun but if summit temps stay above 32*, then early is bettah.
    Expect spring slush I'm guessing.

Name:	gardiner hw.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	788.4 KB 
ID:	376695
    Gardiner HW from the turnout above the lot you hike up to, which is lower down this roadway about 1/2 mile.

EoB get some pics up, way mo bettah than mine.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Name:	DSCN1552.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	376693
    Opening day was leaner than usual and hard to boot. Upper poma to the left is way steeper than it looks. Holding on like a mofo for the last 25'. Lower lift is easy and accesses short but carvy turns.
    EoB and I kinda got to open the area lookers right in this shot. Steep, firm windpack with almost zero imperfections. As opposed to the shitshow over beside the upper poma slideferlife line.
    The first turn, of the first skier of 2021, initially looked to potentially be his last. One kick and he looked to be sliding backwards already. Saved his ass for 2/3 of the run then lost everything and got some abrasions.
    Eventually some of the strong skiers dipped in, but many waited until Eob and I skied over the fence and started the headwall rush.

Name:	basin cornice.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	376694
    This is the Basin headwall and cornice from the roadway. Notice the poma tower lower leftish.

I'm thinking on driving up early on thursday morning and ski some laps then camp for a night, maybe 2.
    Gonna have to look for UM and the ladies.

57 Chevy, hike what you drop, and Reefer Ridge shuttle. Bring your longest bong.

Man the coverage looks really low this year. Wonder if a guy can even get into Hanging Couloir...

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Man the coverage looks really low this year. Wonder if a guy can even get into Hanging Couloir...
    Saw video of someone skiing it on the gram yesterday. Not sure about the method of entrance, though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Saw video of someone skiing it on the gram yesterday. Not sure about the method of entrance, though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Nice! Have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Nice! Have a link?
    I think it's gone now (posted to a story). Looked to be in good shape, which I'd expect—that's one of the lines that tends to hang in the longest.

Quick photo dump

Leaving the Idaho high desert

'tana coal roller

[/url]

One of many bison road blocks in Lamar Valley

Heading up the west side of the pass

BB pano

Magic ticket bus

..Clubhouse?

Gardiner slides, these happened sometime in the middle of the day while DJ and I were skiing (5/30/21)

Sweet whip, this was one of the guys that didn't buy a ticket online for opening day, who bought a season pass.. kinda wonder if he's on here...

DJ had the food situation dialed, dare I say luxurious. Wish I had a picture of the preceding dinner.. Whatever eggs Sunday AM

Sunday beef session

Selfie > life

Rock Creek on June 1st

Kite skiers

HWY 212, somewhere

May try to revisit and fill in with more writing, gotta go get a groom drunk

Great pics

Great pics! Thanks for the TR.

Thanks for the pics and info. Heading over tomorrow. Basin website says lifts are back up. Bought ticket for Saturday. Do I just show them the email or give my name or something?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

We had a printed copy of the receipt as the instructions seemed a little ambiguous. Probably a screenshot of it would do.

I think that airstream looking outfit is the International HQ for the Basin.

I asked if I could add a coupla stickers, told the ladies I'd let them review 'em first. Got a soft NO on the 'Fucking schoolers' and 'Alpental Safety crew' ones. She said they'd have dozens of race camp kids milling about soon, so...

I've opted out of another lap up top so soon, sorry gangstas. Ski ya next time.

Met SUF yesterday and had a nice time hanging out and shooting the breeze. Quite the story for the Young 'un.

Have fun Stuckey, it's all very relaxed.

Don't forget all of the crazy obscure candy choices at the Emporium in town...just shove the fat fuck bubbas outta yer way. Their insulin mgmnt. will be clouding their judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

I asked if I could add a coupla stickers, told the ladies I'd let them review 'em first. Got a soft NO on the 'Fucking schoolers' and 'Alpental Safety crew' ones. She said they'd have dozens of race camp kids milling about soon, so...
    The blue sticker above the 1 second per second sticker might be familiar...

Either stuck or suf needs to get some pig racing action shots.

Fuck yeah, this thread is rockin'. Great pics and stoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Met SUF yesterday and had a nice time hanging out and shooting the breeze. Quite the story for the Young 'un.
    Really enjoyed shootin the shit and learnin some knowledge and thanks for letting me chill at yer place for a lil while.

Got into camp today. I don’t know what the place normally looks like, but I’m pretty sure it’s packed.

Something is afoot up the pass it would seem. Tons of sirens and deputies flying out of town.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    I think it's gone now (posted to a story). Looked to be in good shape, which I'd expect—that's one of the lines that tends to hang in the longest.
    Darn.. Yeah, one of my favorites up there and pushed into as long as possible until it was impossible from the top.
    Most excellent pics EOB!

Oh yeah, it’s also stupid windy.

swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post

Something is afoot up the pass it would seem. Tons of sirens and deputies flying out of town.

It’s just one of the three men that the sheriff can not catch, travelin’ down the bolton stretch…

Anybody know how much of a pain in the nards it would be to make your way down the endless lines you see down the valley going down the Rock Creek trail, and maybe meet up with someone down off the trail for a return trip? Basically, there is (often) just line after line after line going toward the beginning of the big valley East of Glacier Lake. All across the South side of the valley between the lake and the Rock Creek headwall. Or maybe camp waaaaaay the heck down that trail and just hike for turns. I've trekked all over that area around there, and always pondered some of those couloirs and stuff. Also usually loads of snow across the way up on the also massively impressive Hellroaring plateau area, but that could be even gnarlier to access, although you can drive to the top of it and maybe go from there. With some touring gear, I'd be seriously tempted to scout out the region more. You could definitely find turns just about year round if you're sporting enough and not as lazy as I am. Can't wait to head back up there in a few weeks!!! Time to bet on some pigs at Bear Creek.

Back in Red Lodge after spending the week up high. Great times. Met SUF today! What an adventure he is on.

The upper lift motor shaft snapped in half Monday about the time we rolled up. Took till Thursday am to fix it but they let race camp kids and coaches ski the lower lift with the short hike out to the lower lot so my daughter skied Wednesday dropping into a race camp held by a coach we met last year at Beartooth. Tuesday we bailed on the camp because we showed up late due to a Moose in our campsite and the weather was sketch so we hiked 10 miles rt to Lost Lake ducking lightning and rain in the valley instead of up high.

Thursday skied bell to bell with no lines. The only camp on the lower lift was the Wisconsin one my girl was in so they had two days in a row of rep after rep. So good for her and I am super happy to be able to give her this opportunity. Super soft and mushy upper lift Thursday with a refreeze badly needed but just fun as all hell.

Today it was 24 degrees when we pulled in at 810 am. Super hard and sketchy entrance to lower lift. I about had a heart attack watching my girl drop in but she sent it slowly sliding on her edges to the lower lift. Yikes. Softened about 1245 ish pm and by 1:30 it was skiing very nicely for laps to the bell. Before that...fuck that SFL material... but it got better and better all the way to the bell and things are set up for a great weekend! Beyond that who knows. So much melting before today's kick ass refreeze.

A room in Red Lodge tonight for showers and food after a week in the woods and then home.

Pic is from the bottom today about 2 ish.

I have way more but wanted to get this out for anyone en route.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by uglymoney; 06-11-2021 at 08:27 PM.

fucking slide for life firm this am bud.. i'm dropping in and dude literally cartwheels to the bottom going 40 and is motionless. luckily ok..

looped back around to bozone via yellowstone. tourists are retards. beautiful all around though!