Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
    I'm going to keep Sunday/Monday on my radar too. Weather pattern looks fairly active but it's still a ways out so who knows.

Also preemptively planning a beartooth jaunt early that week. Likely Monday for me, but could be a question mark depending on how busy it is

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

How busy can it be when they are closed? I'll do bfast sandwiches if I'm heading there.

If the weather sucks I'm out..

I remember Memorial Day 2020 being quite busy! Folks all over, and the basin is just a fraction of the traffic. The good steep skiing near Reefer Ridge and the top of the pass is what I’m after. Gardiner Headwall might as well be a ski area some days out there!

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    I remember Memorial Day 2020 being quite busy! Folks all over, and the basin is just a fraction of the traffic. The good steep skiing near Reefer Ridge and the top of the pass is what I’m after. Gardiner Headwall might as well be a ski area some days out there!

I have seen moguls on Gardiner, albeit small ones.

IIRC, the first two springs I was out there--2015 and 16--the Basin didn't open. (I'm 100% sure on 15, not completely sure about 2016.) It was still a heck of a scene, and that was before half of Colorado moved to Bozeman to escape the Californians who moved to Colorado.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Lol^

Weather looks meh at best this coming weekend. I might take a ride over the following sun Mon.

22 inches forecasted for red lodge mtn...?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Yeah, it happened.

Another cut off low (Similar to the storm in late April) was spinning over that area the last three days just nuking the Beartooths.

My bet was they would open the highway sometime today, but I haven’t checked on it. Should be good skiing up there this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Yeah, it happened.
    My bet was they would open the highway sometime today, but I haven’t checked on it. Should be good skiing up there this weekend.
    511 is showing that they will re-evaluate the closure June 6, so unlikely that they'll open it this weekend. Plus the forecast is showing more snow (and heavy rain!?) for this weekend. What a strange spring this has been...

Looks like they might try to open the road by this weekend, but then more weather coming in Sunday...looking at maybe Tuesday-Thursday next week as a possibility? What's the word?

Perhaps drive a little further to the Bighorns, quite plump up there, but a longer walk.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1E8F1A5-14FE-490D-AECE-E26163F55BB1.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	623.4 KB 
ID:	418417

With gas being so fucking expensive I'm hesitant to even drive to Red Lodge.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    With gas being so fucking expensive I'm hesitant to even drive to Red Lodge.
    Agreed. On the way back I was getting worse MPG than my 250hp boat in AK when I lived there. 5 fucking miles per gallon with a headwind, truck camper, trailer. Cussing the entire way.

Need an E-car to commute to ski this winter.....but none of them have the range in the winter for where I live.

pass opened yesterday

Unreal. Vibes to the Red Lodge area.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Decided to risk it and book a site at Rattin campground next week Monday-Wednesday. Seemed like the safest option given all the flooding going on right now. Looks like the weather should stabilize somewhat, hopefully things will calm down by then. Planning to ski one day if it's feasible, probably drive over to the Lamar for a day too, assuming the road is open.

Northern Yellowstone closed.

https://www.facebook.com/10006928965...1982730121380/

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

https://www.facebook.com/10000903015...27419209564475

https://www.facebook.com/jackie.gerd...6806798047082/

Northern end of Yellowstone also hit hard, Gardiner reportedly not currently accessible by car.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Decided to risk it and book a site at Rattin campground next week Monday-Wednesday. Seemed like the safest option given all the flooding going on right now. Looks like the weather should stabilize somewhat, hopefully things will calm down by then. Planning to ski one day if it's feasible, probably drive over to the Lamar for a day too, assuming the road is open.
    Current reports suggest that a lot of bridges are out. I wouldn't expect normal travel to be restored for weeks at best, and some stuff probably will take months.

Part of me wishes I was there and could help more directly, part of me is very glad I'm not, I already got to live through one disaster-level flooding event (Killington during Irene). Water shut off town-wide is a big f'ing deal, as is multiple towns being cut off from vehicle access.

Loss of water pressure means they have to flush the entire system. Truly a disaster. My wife is an engineer for a city here and her mouth fell open when she saw that not including bridges which is mostly her jam..

Going to be like 106 degrees here today with heat index. Derecho possible east of here. Can't escape the fucked weather.

Looks like the boys of BB made a great decision to sit this year out and we just feel so privileged to have been able to hit lift served there the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Current reports suggest that a lot of bridges are out. I wouldn't expect normal travel to be restored for weeks at best, and some stuff probably will take months.
    Yeah, sounds like a pretty fucked up situation, might end up bailing depending on what happens with the road to the pass.

More video from in town:

F'ing nasty. I have to admit sitting up here in the high desert where we got a quarter-inch it did not really register with me how bad the situation is.

Thankfully, there are a lot of resourceful and community-minded people in Red Lodge, so I have no doubt they'll pull together and deal with the short-term issues as well as can be. Some people are going to take serious financial (who the heck carries flood insurance in Red Lodge?) and emotional losses, and hopefully their families, friends and neighbors will help them out.

I'm more worried about what happens to a town that normally brings in tens of thousands of money-spending tourists during the summer if it takes a full summer (or more) to restore the road-access issues both in town and in the surrounding area. "Normal" washouts can be filled and driven on, but bridges that get compromised or even fully washed out can take a lot more work.