Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Smart. I can probably push it back a week if I have to but that depends on the pto calendar.

The wife is coming too. Blue Ox in Eau Claire is normally that week but it is postponed to August so she is all about it. Nothing will keep her from her Bluegrass.
    We are looking forward to the 5th Annual June 24-26, 2021. The 2021 Red Lodge Songwriter Festival will feature great songwriters, new venues, and amazing learning opportunities.

Never been, but it could be worth thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    We are looking forward to the 5th Annual June 24-26, 2021. The 2021 Red Lodge Songwriter Festival will feature great songwriters, new venues, and amazing learning opportunities.

That sounds legit, may be a bit later than we plan on going though.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Smart. I can probably push it back a week if I have to but that depends on the pto calendar.

The wife is coming too. Blue Ox in Eau Claire is normally that week but it is postponed to August so she is all about it. Nothing will keep her from her Bluegrass.
    Yeah I think I'll have the wife and fur kids with me. Sounds like a party!

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post

It's a super cool event, but if you're going, book tickets as soon as you can. Most of the ticketed stuff sells out pretty quickly, and I'd expect next summer to be worse with pent up demand for live music.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

The basin plans on being open this year albeit with less snow than average. Similar snowpack as last year meaning they'll be lucky to make it past the 3rd week in June.
    Due to some recent injuries I will not be skiing this year but may still make the journey for a reset.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I think I'm out this year, I have family visiting for a good chunk of June and don't think I'll be able to pull a trip off. As Warren said, guess I'll be one year older when I do.

Hope you're healing up well, SVS, and that you come back stronger than before!

Looks like we're heading up there on the way to Yellowstone. Skiing Memorial Day and Tuesday.

Rock Creek zone looks full for now. Easy to see @ 4:30 minutes in.

- As well as on the intro still shot... behind the 'watch' print.

Lots to do up there besides the Poma.
    Might be a good year to drive up onto the hellroaring plateau via the old uranium mining road opposite the pass road.

If heading 'up' to YS, know you're gonna go all the way through the Park, then another hour+/- to get on top. And be informed if any part of the Park roads are closed; even one short closed section can change your plans dramatically.
    Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 05-03-2021 at 01:20 PM.

thanks! coming over from flatlandia and camping near Red Lodge til wednesday. Heading to a lodge in Silver Gate and entering the park from there. Never been out this way before. All plans are tentative and dependent on conditions.

Beartooth Pass conditions?

Likely great spring touring in Cooke City zone.

Don’t think you will get further into the Beartooth at this time of year, unless ya got a snowmobile.

Check out Beartooth backcountry guides for more info, and I know that Usdatelele has that zone pretty dialed in as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I should clarify that we are coming out May 30th-June 5th. Tentatively planning skiing beartooth basin 5/31 and 6/1. YS 6/2-6/5

^^ yep, that’s a perfect time

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Lots to do up there besides the Poma.
    Might be a good year to drive up onto the hellroaring plateau via the old uranium mining road opposite the pass road.

If heading 'up' to YS, know you're gonna go all the way through the Park, then another hour+/- to get on top. And be informed if any part of the Park roads are closed; even one short closed section can change your plans dramatically.
    What's the story on that uranium mining road? How/Why did it get put there?

I'll be up there for Memorial weekend if the weather looks good. Hope to see ya SVS, Djongo, etc

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    What's the story on that uranium mining road? How/Why did it get put there?
    I'm guessing the "why" would be "for mining."

As to the "how", and the "how did they manage to get ore back down this road?", that I can't answer. I assume the road was in somewhat better shape at such time as it was used for mining, but even somewhat better shape would seem to be pretty questionable for heavy trucks.

We are still hoping to make it out, like June 6-11 and skiing a couple three weekdays hiking the other days with our border collie hiking puppy in training. Wife and daughter in tow so we'll be your typical boring midwestern tourist family and camping in one of the reservable campsites at the base of the pass like we did last year because convenience car glamping. It's a fun place with or without friends. It would be surprising not to make some quick new ski friends out on that hill. I think at the end of our trip last year it felt like it was already our home hill.

As ever, regardless of how much snow is up high, there's so much cool stuff to do within 20 miles of the campgrounds at the base of the pass.
    Town of Red lodge is cool and well worth buying your food there. Grocery store or restaurants are always comfortable.

Drive down the campground forest service road all the way and start hiking. You'll be awed by the cliffs/cirque surrounding you.
    They mined Chromite and vanadium, as I researched...not uranium.

That mining road used to be a bit wider. I haven't been up it in many years now. Either 4wd'ing it or biking up/down too.
    Killer campsite about 2/3 way up beside creek in a valley switchback. Easy driving until there where a few spots get narrower.
    The views are raw and stunning. Plops you out on top of a massive tundra zone that goes for miles in every whichaways.
    We dosed on a drizzly day and walked for miles up there once. Memories.

Having seen articulating AWD dumptrucks around the village since forever, I suspect they had something like that...and wider maintained roadways. 99% of the road back then was bombproof. Only a few spots had slid out a bit from years of inattention.

Could be impassable today. Which would make it even wilder above...
    I've been shutout the last 2 years: ACL tear in '19, road closure for blizzard on Dunraven pass thru park in '20.

Shit happens up there.
    More frequently than usual.
    Bear spray. git sum.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~```
    I hope to make a lap or two this season. I'm pretty hit or miss anymore on the skiing. If it's good I'm in but it can be shite and I'm happy just to be there. Had a few rainy trips.
    Maybe on opening weekend, prolly more likely when UM and the ladies are up there.

I can dig just camping, partying and general area exploration. I've never ridden down the pass on a bike, that would be rad.
    Sledding can be a little hectic too, up at 11,000'.
    Maybe get a buddy to bring his sled up and do Gardiner HW laps with a power pull up-n-out.

Sweet Djongo. If you happen by that week we'll track you down in our little lifted 4R that will let us ping pong to the trailhead in a reasonable amount of time. Was slow going with the VW last year but it made it.

I'm kinda stuck with those dates. Have to take what the mountains giveth or taketh or locked gateth.

As you say, so much to do either way!

Re: the width of the mining road, in the summer of 2017, it was about six inches wider than an F-150 at the narrowest spot (with rockfall from above on the uphill side and a steep hill below), but there are a lot of places where an F-150 feels really wide. In some of those places, I'm not sure where they could've had a whole lot more width when the mine was active (steep drop on one side, already against rock on the other). Granted, where there's a will and a stack of dynamite, there's probably a way...

It seems like the weather is holding up very nicely, at least in town?

They reopened Greenough Lakes for reservations so we moved our car camping spot over there. It is where we stayed last year. Pretty nice.

Daughter has a brand new pair of Nordica slalom skis and Mantras to try out and work in. We were thinking of slipping her in for a day of race training but she says she would rather freeski so I haven't even bothered to find out if the coach we know will be there. Too much money anyway. I'll coach her myself. Send it!

Wife has a new hammock to read in since the stepson claimed his back.

4R getting a new radiator. Couple tire repairs completed this week.

May 5th

Awwww yeah....they've made it to the paraglider launch.

How are things looking for next weekend? Any mags heading up from teets?

I gotta think opening day will be really good. I could be persuaded to roadtrip up for a day or 2 or 3.
    I'd also like to go up when Uglymoney and his gals are there; which may well coincide with SUF's trek.

Maybe a beeline up on Saturday morning, racing thru the park before the shiteshow begins. Show the tourists where all the passing zones are/were...back home on Sunday.