Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I'm pushing ahead with planning for the summer solstice weekend. Who else is planning on attending? I'll likely be rolling solo from SLC, probably camp out of my truck.
    In

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I gotta work that weekend, otherwise I’d try. I wanted to go for some years but other fun stuff to do in summer and slacker in me have prevented me from pulling the trigger, but with this shortened season we had that prevented me from having an official last sliding on snow day, I wanna make it happen. Thanks for inspiring me!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Last year we slept in lot for the sites near long lake. The sites were closed but no one gave us a hard time. Bathrooms were open which was nice.

Such a cool place, hope to make it this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    So typically they open on memorial weekend? When do they usually close? Labor Day?

Another question is, how busy are they on weekends vs weekdays?

Django hit a lot of this already, but yeah the official opening of the road is the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.

That time of year, unfortunately, can have a lot of unsettled weather, and the Beartooths catch weather well.

If it snows, it takes a while for the Park to get the WY side open, often meaning the gate stays closed below any car shuttles.

There's still skiing to be done then, but all hiking/skinning/booting.

But when the times are good, the times are good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toothpasstruckride.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	257.5 KB 
ID:	328121

My buddy rips pretty decent for a schoolteacher.

Name:	B5A4D9AF-6EBE-47FF-9E08-6F1B5AD90067.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	328123
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

^^^^^
    Oh, most excellent pics!

The shot wit da wolfen is so good. Gives me flashbacks of hitching rides up, some drivers hauling ass, kinda sketchball really. But the view out the back on a nice roll up will take yer breath away.

It takes all types. even schoolmarms.
    Nice turns in a sweet line.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~````
    I kinda don't expect the southern approach to be open on time or even soon thereafter.
    I'll try and be at the Solstice Howl but gonna be a crazy long approach any earlier, with no YSP to cut thru.

I sure would like to ski some creamed corn soon though. That'd be some good meds.
    Or some grits. Yeah about a 1/2" of cream of wheat. For a mile or so down Rock creek Couloir.
    I would turn more than most of you dogs.
    Shaving Velvet.
    Snapping Chrispies.

But instead I'll get the mega suncups with a shitton of cornice debris locked down with an icing of the stickiest dawn gluefall you ever witnessed. Whatcha gonna do, walk back the coupla miles over the tundra to the turnout? Negative on that.

I hope a bunch of mags can break away and have a good ski weekend this summer. It's been a tough winter 19/20 for a lot of us. Would be good to hang and get optimistic about the future...

From the facebizzle:

We will be OPEN this season!! May 30 until the snow is gone! ⛷❄️🎉

This was a very difficult decision for us to make as we’re living in a dynamic world and nothing is more important to us than the health and safety of our community (this includes you!)

We will be operating in compliance with all federal and state COVID-19 guidelines. There will be special rules in place for our guests this season and we plan to enforce these very seriously!!

Please refer to our website as the season approaches for our in-house C-19 guidelines, updates and how to be a responsible ski patron.

We can’t wait to see happy faces and provide a source for your mental and physical health!

#spiritofskiing #beartoothbasin

Name:	96261767_10157951845970342_4724697216554369024_o.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	328360

Beartooth Pass conditions?

Most excellent — plan on skiing opening weekend. Basin on sat likely touring sunday. Just booked a camp site at Limber Pine (shocked it was still available).

Last edited by SkiLyft; 05-13-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Most excellent — plan on skiing opening weekend. Basin on sat likely touring sunday. Just booked a camp site at Limber Pine (shocked it was still available).

You realize odds that the Basin being open when they say they will are not in your favor

Related: Yellowstone reopening Wyoming entrances, southern portion of the Park
    (but not the north or northeast entrances)
    https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/20015.htm

The NPS release notes that Montana still has out-of-state travel restrictions in place; hopefully that will no longer be the case by the time the Pass opens, as most of the skiing is either in Wyoming or accessed via Wyoming (Rock Creek Headwall). I believe Park County also still has a more-stringent order in place for Cooke and Silver Gate than the statewide order (https://missoulian.com/lifestyles/re...4a0ed8e7c.html)

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    You realize odds that the Basin being open when they say they will are not in your favor

Feeling optimistic and even if it doesn’t open plenty of touring up there, and if all else fails it’s $40 for the camping reservations so not much is lost.

Name:  926D9B14-DD6C-4F37-871C-B60A7D78BBAD-3957-0000030EF4E33D8B.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  54.0 KB

Is Wyoming and Montana still requiring a 14 day quarantine for all non residents entering those states for non work related activities?

How would something like that even be enforced? Like if somebody showed up at the airport and rented a car with a local plate on it, how would anybody know if the occupants of the car were from in-state, or out of state? And even if they knew either of those bits of information, how would they know if anybody had quarantined or not quarantined before they rented the car?

and all of this just to go to Beartooth basin for the day? I’m not passing judgment on whether it’s excessive or not, I’m just curious about the logistics of how any of this shit works.

What is this new normal? What are the rules? What the fuck do I need to do?.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Lahey View Post
    Is Wyoming and Montana still requiring a 14 day quarantine for all non residents entering those states for non work related activities?
    Montana is, Wyoming is not. If that's still the case when the Pass opens, it becomes quite the can of worms--even the state line parking lot is actually in Wyoming, so it would seem you'd legally be required to isolate for 14 days before dropping in on a Rock Creek Headwall line.

Unless someone with a badge gets excited about it, though, I'd be surprised to see enforcement resources dedicated to the Pass. I would expect hitching to be more challenging than usual, though.

I'd also be surprised to see Montana keep the quarantine order in place past Memorial Day unless the hospitals get slammed between now and then.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Feeling optimistic and even if it doesn’t open plenty of touring up there, and if all else fails it’s $40 for the camping reservations so not much is lost.

Wish you luck!

https://www.facebook.com/10479012034...bstory_index=0

I mean I have a week off in June because of a now covid canceled music festival but I'd hate to inadvertently bring covids to the Beartooths, or be lynch mobbed by the covid enforcement thugs upon arrival.

I like to dream though. Self containment in the travel wagon and Wag bags would be easy for a week. Unless something went wrong...

Meh. Have fun guys.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm gonna see how things go the next few weeks before making a call. More wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I'm gonna see how things go the next few weeks before making a call. More wait and see.
    42. The only thing to do.

I would so love to go, especially if I could bring my daughter...who would love it...but then that would make self containment on the way out and back almost unpossible. Just seems too soon in the covid scheme.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Can't help but laugh at this pic... Unity!

No one is gonna be policing shit up on the pass. Nor at the gate.
    Remember it's Wyotana.
    It's highly unpredictable for the skiing, rarely considered easy, and always a stunning roadtrip.

I may just come up via Cody to Belfry then over and up. Looking for a co pilot.

I also just found out this tidbit: In Yellowstone, a portion of the road between tower jct. and canyon will be closed thru 2021. New roadwork up by Chittenden. That changes getting thru the park, more circuitous now. Phugggggg.

Same source 5/17:

Please read if you plan on visiting Beartooth Pass this summer.

Beartooth Basin is actually located in Wyoming. Currently WY has no travel restrictions and you can access the lifts via WY296->US212 from Cody. Plenty of camping on the WY side, but limited amenities.

Montana has a 14-day quarantine in place for all out of state visitors. After numerous calls to MT Governor Bullocks office, we have received an exemption on this travel ban to cross the invisible state line 2 miles before the lifts and return to MT without being subject to quarantine. This allowance has been extended to all MONTANA residents that have been in state 14 days (Bozeman skiers, you’re welcome ��).

So MT and WY skiers - you’re good to go!!

EVERYONE ELSE - As much as it warms our heart to hear folks planning ‘road trips’ across state lines to visit, this is not the year. We’re sorry, but it’s paramount that we are part of the solution and not part of the problem. So get your butts out here to isolate and start your quarantine!!

Thanks for reading and reach out with questions! ⛷����

#beartoothbasin #corntine #spiritofskiing

Sorry ugly, might not be the year. Bring your daughter if you make it out though

edited to add weather, looks to be a classic cold soggy opening weekend:

Friday through next Sunday...large scale troughing pattern will
    remain anchored over the Pacific Northwest, Northern Rockies, and
    Southwest Canada; with multiple waves dumbbelling around within
    the main overall trough. This will continue chances for
    precipitation to end the work week and into the Memorial Day
    weekend. Any additional rainfall on top of what has already fallen
    up to this point could exacerbate impacts to agriculture, and
    rises on streams and creeks emanating from the mountains. - Moldan

Looks like the only thing to do is DROP EVERYTHING(including the cornice) and go get started on this isolation. Ill be somewhere down by the creek quarantining so i can go big

WYdot says 212 from Cody is still closed. My money rides on that. Would love to know where the basin boyz heard otherwise.

And camping on the Wyo side will be fucked for another month. That info is not ideal.

Being on the pass is it's own quarantine. If you can't keep enough distance there, yer fukked.

Beartooth Pass conditions?

I still have no clue how a 14 day quarantine is enforceable. A buddy in Montana is saving some gas receipts from this week for me. I’ll be there opening weekend, if the basin opens rad, if not I’ll ski something else in the area human powered.

I still have no clue how a 14 day quarantine is enforceable. A buddy in Montana is saving some gas receipts from this week for me. I’ll be there opening weekend, if the basin opens rad, if not I’ll ski something else in the area human powered.

Dibs on reciepts after you

If you have gas receipts, you're not quarantining, because you've been at gas stations.

No, it's not all that enforceable, at least without moderate effort on the part of law enforcement (search warrants on phone location data would probably be enough evidence for most people, given that most Americans would be unable to live without their phones for two weeks).

But please consider that respecting such guidelines might, y'know, be the right thing to do. The odds of any one person being a problem are probably rather small; the odds of one of a bunch of people being a problem are a lot higher (see also: https://ktla.com/news/california/per...-butte-county/). And as the Basin folks had noted, being part of the solution is much better than being part of the problem.