Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Say Goodbye to Tax-free Internet Purchases

WASHINGTON — Internet retailers can be required to collect sales taxes in states where they have no physical presence, the Supreme Court ruled on Thursday.

Brick-and-mortar businesses have long complained that they are disadvantaged by having to charge sales taxes while many of their online competitors do not. States have said that they are missing out on tens of billions of dollars in annual revenue under a 1992 Supreme Court ruling that helped spur the rise of internet shopping.

On Thursday, the court overruled that ruling, Quill Corporation v. North Dakota, which had said that the Constitution bars states from requiring businesses to collect sales taxes unless they have a substantial connection to the state.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/21/u...merchants.html

I report all my out of state purchases on my state income tax form as required by my state, and pay the appropriate sales taxes.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I report all my out of state purchases on my state income tax form as required by my state, and pay the appropriate sales taxes.
    Well bless your pointed little head.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I live in MT, so does that mean Amazon must collect 9% WA salestax on anything I order, or will they just be required to collect the 0% that Montana charges?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Your nose also grew 2 inches in the last few minutes, Pinocchio.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I live in MT, so does that mean Amazon must collect 9% WA salestax on anything I order, or will they just be required to collect the 0% that Montana charges?
    You don't pay sales tax where the retailer "lives", you pay it where you are. This ruling says the retailer has to collect YOUR state sales tax and remit that to the state. If your state doesn't have sales tax, this ruling has no effect (though I have not looked at what it says re local sales tax, not sure if they have to collect those too).
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

What happens if I live in a tax state, but I am skiing in Montana and buy something on the internet? What about shopping while flying over states and buying from those catalogs in the seat back?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    What happens if I live in a tax state, but I am skiing in Montana and buy something on the internet? What about shopping while flying over states and buying from those catalogs in the seat back?
    Just do as I do and declare all out of state purchases on your state income tax form.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Then you will be summarily executed
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

It has always been about where the item is delivered, not where you are when you make the purchase. So, for ex, when I worked at a furniture store in Durango many moons ago, people from NM could avoid sales tax if they purchased and had us deliver the item, but they had to pay CO sales tax if they purchased and walked out the door with the item.

Does this apply to state taxes only, or local, city and county taxes?

There are something like 13000 different tax districts in the country, each with their own city, county, resort and other various local stuff that is going to be pretty much impossible for anyone but Amazon and Walmart to handle accounting wise.
    Live Free or Die

I am guessing it is just state taxes, but haven't looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    It has always been about where the item is delivered. . . .
    Yes, for sales taxes, on the theory that the sale "occurs" in the state of delivery to the buyer.

A related issue: Some states, e.g., WA, have a use tax on some items @ the same rate for purchases made out of state by a resident of the taxing state if the buyer has the intention is to use the item in his or her resident (taxing) state. For example, if a WA resident buys a piece of equipment in OR (no sales tax state) and brings the equipment into WA to be used here, the buyer is obligated to pay use tax. The WA legislature enacted this law because lots of people were crossing to OR to buy expensive goods to avoid paying sales tax.

Good thing I don't schedule my hookers online; I'd owe thousands more.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Yes, for sales taxes, on the theory that the sale "occurs" in the state of delivery to the buyer.

A related issue: Some states, e.g., WA, have a use tax on some items @ the same rate for purchases made out of state by a resident of the taxing state if the buyer has the intention is to use the item in his or her resident (taxing) state. For example, if a WA resident buys a piece of equipment in OR (no sales tax state) and brings the equipment into WA to be used here, the buyer is obligated to pay use tax. The WA legislature enacted this law because lots of people were crossing to OR to buy expensive goods to avoid paying sales tax.
    yeah, I was pretty shocked when I moved to Seattle almost 30 years ago, that I had to pay "sales tax" (I know it wasn't sales tax, but a rose by any other name) on a car that I had purchased in VT 3 years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    The WA legislature enacted this law because lots of people were crossing to OR to buy expensive goods to avoid paying sales tax.
    Pretty common in northern CA, too, and I'd imagine eastern ID as well. My Dad lives in CA, bought a new truck in OR and registered it using his girlfriend's OR address. Saved him thousands.

jgb@etree Guest
    Wow. I guess we've finally found a tax that the lunatic leftists don't love!

What if I'm in a plane on a treadmill in a non tax state?
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Does this apply to state taxes only, or local, city and county taxes?

There are something like 13000 different tax districts in the country, each with their own city, county, resort and other various local stuff that is going to be pretty much impossible for anyone but Amazon and Walmart to handle accounting wise.
    I haven't looked to see if the law applies to local taxes but they have these things called computers that can figure it out pretty easily, the way someone figured out there are 13000 taxing districts. I'm sure someone will come up with software that any online retailer can use.

Say Goodbye to Tax-free Internet Purchases

In the last yr I’ve noticed some of my online vendors already charging me sales tax.

Honestly, I’ve never subscribed to tax free in the internet, but I buy very little online. On this forum I am glad to stand up and say we need to collect taxes in this case. I expect Dex to high five me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    What if I'm in a plane on a treadmill in a non tax state?

I haven't looked to see if the law applies to local taxes but they have these things called computers that can figure it out pretty easily, the way someone figured out there are 13000 taxing districts. I'm sure someone will come up with software that any online retailer can use.
    Have you ever had to remit sales taxes before? Filed the paperwork. Registered in all of those districts. Its not the math that is the problem here.

I actually support this level playing field, it is probably 90% of why the internet is killing local retail, which I would rather support.

However, this could have the unintended effect of just killing small retail businesses with paperwork.
    Live Free or Die

You knew this was coming. I'm just glad I no longer have to dutifully track and declare all of my out-of-state purchases, that was a big headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    yeah, I was pretty shocked when I moved to Seattle almost 30 years ago, that I had to pay "sales tax" (I know it wasn't sales tax, but a rose by any other name) on a car that I had purchased in VT 3 years earlier.
    And VT does the same thing, so that's teh funneh that you were going between the two. Wouldn't have mattered which direction.

Amazon already collects / pays alot of sales tax since "substantial connection" to a state includes states where they have a distribution center located.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Have you ever had to remit sales taxes before? Filed the paperwork. Registered in all of those districts. Its not the math that is the problem here.

I actually support this level playing field, it is probably 90% of why the internet is killing local retail, which I would rather support.

However, this could have the unintended effect of just killing small retail businesses with paperwork.
    Those small retail businesses you are talking about are small INTERNET retail businesses. And remitting sales tax is just the cost of doing business, IMO. Surely something like Quickbooks or the like has this functionality or soon will.

Just have your family foundation make all purchases and avoid all taxation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........