Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Here is some video and pics from my ride. I'm a good 8 months of solid riding behind on TR's but figure this is a good spot to put this one at least.

Part 1 is from Shirttail Point to the final crossing of Lands End road. Starts with a series of technical switchbacks then drops into forest with lots of rocky rolling terrain.

Part 2 is from the final road crossing down, a mix of video throughout the rest of the ride.

Pics: A lot of the first 12 miles looks like this

But there is also a lot of this

Streams up top had trout. I came back for those when retrieving the shuttle

Looking back. I really liked the upper meadow riding. Need to go back and explore more trails up top

A mention of water would be a good addition to that warning

Starting into the aspens from Shirttail point

The upper trail is a historic route that fell into disrepair. Pretty cool they were able to re-use it.

Switchbacks begin! I made all but a couple of them

Sheer rock walls

Across Lands End Rd for the last time the real plunge begins

When not descending, you're climbing

Final stream crossing. This one should flow year round. Camel up!

Lots of traversing for a while

Checking out one of the first technical exposed sections. Don't fall left.

Didn't ride this one. Stair-steppy with a loose exposed runout

Lots of cool rock along the trail

Also didn't ride this one, but should have

Lower canyon, about to cross over to Palisade Rim. Canyon bottom received a lot of water in a storm a few days prior.

View from Land's End overlook after shuttle retrieval. Found a cool campsite up top. As you can see my good fortune with smoke was about to end....

That looks great, thanks Ev.

Nice photos!

Great TR tyx!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Evdog is going to be responsible for many deaths by posting such alluring pictures.

(I have to admit I was ambivalent, but now I want to go in mid-October or thereabouts).

And stock up on gummies in town.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Evdog is going to be responsible for many deaths by posting such alluring pictures.

(I have to admit I was ambivalent, but now I want to go in mid-October or thereabouts).

Right! His TR makes me actually want to go ride it again. When its not hot, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I rode it August last year, so a few months after it opened. I didn't think looseness was really an issue. It was sandy in a few spots but not bad. Definitely not a sand pit, and didn't think loose trail edges were an issue. If anything it could get worse with more traffic if it gets blown out. Didn't think exposure was much of an issue either except for a couple spots. But I'm used to riding exposed technical trails. What I think will cause the most issue for some riders aside from the frequent short climbs is the rockyness of the trail. You're constantly going over or around rocks poking out of the tread. Those will only "grow" as the trail gets worn in.

Are you used to riding in heat, and doing big rides? If so don't let mid summer heat at the bottom stop you. Just pick your days when it isn't extreme - like say high 80's to 90 vs 100+. It was 90F the day I did it. I started 9am, finished 3pm. Bring a filter and camel up at the last water crossing. And maybe start mid day rather than early so you're dropping down when temps drop rather than into the heat of the day. Sept/Oct will work too but it will start to get cold up top mornings. If your typical ride is 15 miles I'd wait for cooler temps.

The ride took me just under 6 hours total, with 5 hrs moving time. I'm not fast, but good on technical terrain. I pretty consistently average 5mph on most rides. Stats were 31.5 mi, +1120/-6,980ft (fwiw I skipped the lowest section and transferred to Palisade Rim due to reported storm damage down low).

TR from my ride in the following post....
    Thanks, this beta is exactly what I was after. I'm in northern NM so rocky and heat are SOP.
    Will definitely look into H2O filters, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

X2

Stay in Palisade when you tourists come to ride the Plunge. Fuck Grand Junction.

How does it rate against whole enchilada for physicality? I need to get over and see my parents and want to decide which kids get to partake.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    How does it rate against whole enchilada for physicality? I need to get over and see my parents and want to decide which kids get to partake.
    Not even in the same ballpark. Depending on where you start but it is a long XC ride with exposure not a chunk fest enduro with a little climb or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Thanks, this beta is exactly what I was after. I'm in northern NM so rocky and heat are SOP.
    Will definitely look into H2O filters, though.
    Check into this one - it's so light and functional that I take it on pretty much any ride over 20 miles in the high country:

Yea great TR! Very enticing.

I’ve just ordered one of these newer filter/soft bottle combos:

https://lifestraw.com/collections/li...eak-collection

If anyone is interested in a nice little biking filter. I have an extra one of these I would sell...

https://www.msrgear.com/water-treatm...ter/09385.html

Basically new. Only used for a week in the boundary waters. Ended up getting the same one but my new one can also be used as a gravity filter.

^^I've tried several and really like the MSR Trailshot. It's pricier than a lot of the other portable options, but it's easier to fill bottles or a bladder, especially where the water is low or sparse, cross-contamination isn't really an issue, and the pre-filter is great for limiting the need to back flush. You can use some like the Sawyer in-line with a bladder, but it's more difficult than I'd like to pull the water, filling the bladder is a pain with low water and you end up with a bunch of sediment in the bladder that then makes it even harder to pull water through the filter. YMMV.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

The Sawyer rep gave me one of those squeeze filters back in the day when they first came out. I destroyed it the first time I used it.

I also like the Trailshot.

Question for evdog, I just watched both vids (slow day at work).
    It looks like there was still a ways to go when it ended and I've heard the bottom is the most difficult. Is the rest of the ride more challenging than the last 1/4 of your vid or more of the same?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    The Sawyer rep gave me one of those squeeze filters back in the day when they first came out. I destroyed it the first time I used it.
    Interesting - was it the "bag" that failed?

I've had mine since '13 and one of the bags sprung a leak, but that's been the only problem. Do agree on the low water challenge of filling the bag...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Interesting - was it the "bag" that failed?

I've had mine since '13 and one of the bags sprung a leak, but that's been the only problem. Do agree on the low water challenge of filling the bag...
    Honestly don't remember, this was 10+ years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Question for evdog, I just watched both vids (slow day at work).
    It looks like there was still a ways to go when it ended and I've heard the bottom is the most difficult. Is the rest of the ride more challenging than the last 1/4 of your vid or more of the same?
    Parts near the end of the video aren't far from the bottom of the trail. I cut over to Palisade Rim a mile or so from the bottom since I'd heard there was storm damage at the bottom of the Plunge. I'd say the vid is fairly representative of the level of tech you'll see on the ride. With the caveat that some of that tech is on the climbs too which I didn't show. The Plunge isn't a technically difficult ride overall or climbing wise. But it's all the short repeated climbs together with the tech that makes it hard overall. I'd sale the Palisade Rim is harder, if you've done that.

For water filters.... here's what I've used. All of these can be easily carried on a bike.

Sawyer Mini/Squeeze. Had the Mini first. Worked well but flow rate is slow. And the pouch it comes with sucks. Hard to fill up from pools or even flowing water. Pretty much has to be from waterfall or flowing down over rocks. Also requires a plastic syringe to backflush. Not a big deal, but one more thing to carry if you're trying to reduce weight. Blackflushing works pretty well. The Squeeze is 1oz heavier but has much better flow rate. You can buy aftermarket bladders for each that are much easier to fill (ie CNOC) or they also work with Smart water and other bottles. I've heard of the pouches splitting but since they suck anyways just use something else. Cheap. $20-25 maybe $30 for the Squeeze. Definitely worth a few extra $$.

Katadyn Bfree. Great flow rate. Clogs easier than you'd think it would. Wider mouth so it is easy to fill from any water source. Hydrapak makes a bladder that fits it. Also makes the Bfree water pouch. These aren't sold in that many places so if you need replacement parts you might have to order. Usually not a big deal but had an issue with it on a trip and wasn't able to replace the filter cartridge anywhere. Costs $45-50.

Steri-pen. Liked the idea and used it for a while. Never had real issues although it was a bit finicky to use (wouldn't work if the glass element had water on it, which was odd since you stick it in...water). I didn't like the fact it required batteries and also didn't address floaties in the water so you'd have to pre-filter for those. Never used it in cloudy water and wouldn't want to. More expensive. Not sure on price these days. Can't really use it with a hydration bladder.