Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Makes zero sense whatsoever. They're essentially forcing people to ride it during the hottest months of the year.
    Zero sense?

Ok front ranger. You guys keep orange vests in your Enduro outfit rotation?

I'm guessing it coincides with rifle season. Grand Mesa is used for hunting and fishing WAY more than cycling. Safety first, plus they bring more money to the community as well so they get priority.

First rifle is 10/16, I was thinking that it could be due to the hunting season too, as archery runs through the 30th.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    First rifle is 10/16, I was thinking that it could be due to the hunting season too, as archery runs through the 30th.
    Grand Mesa has moose so it starts 10/1

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Zero sense?

Ok front ranger. You guys keep orange vests in your Enduro outfit rotation?

I'm guessing it coincides with rifle season. Grand Mesa is used for hunting and fishing WAY more than cycling. Safety first, plus they bring more money to the community as well so they get priority.
    And that fact was unknown to them before building the trail? I doubt it has anything to do with hunting season.

Yeah, I'm curious as well. I don't think closing mountain bike trails during hunting is very common.

I've never heard of a closure related to hunting other than wildfire and calving.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I've never heard of a closure related to hunting other than wildfire and calving.
    I only shopped short of saying 'never' because I figured someone would jump on it to correct me.

I bike in my orange vest during the season.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I've got a bright orange jersey.

I put a pumpkin nrs'd on my seat.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Well, I rode the whole thing today, the exposure didn't freak me out too much, but holy shit that was a lot of pedaling. The grade reversals on the lower part are a bit much, like we are descending a fucking cliff face why are we climbing?
    I rode the whole thing the other day as well, last comment above kinda sums up my thoughts. I liked it overall, but the plunge seemed to drag on forever. It wasn't just grade reversals, there were plenty of small ones which were fine. But lots of spots where you had to climb a while. Normally not an issue but in full sun exposure and 90f it really wore me down.

Honestly I probably liked the riding up top best, 12 miles or so of fairly flowy meadow riding and cool temps. Then below shirt tail point some nice techy switch backs. But then it gets tough with lots of short steep rooty climbs in the trees. Once those rocks poke out of the dirt more it's going to give lots of riders fits. And the rocks don't let up on the descent. I think that will pose more problems for riders as the trail wears in than loose edges or exposure. I had to wait some days due to storms and the trail seemed pretty nicely packed for the most part. I walked a couple tech sections as they were covered in loose moondust. The others weren't too bad. Had to skip the bottom most portion which was apparently covered in loose boulders and mud following recent storms. Just skipped over to the rim trail for final descent.

Would I ride it again.? Yes, but if doing it during hot temps I'd start at like 2pm so temps would be dropping as I hit the descent, and finish at sunset.

Last edited by evdog; 08-06-2021 at 09:51 PM.

Am I correct in assuming the shuttle route to the top trailhead is entirely paved?

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Am I correct in assuming the shuttle route to the top trailhead is entirely paved?
    Yes

When are you going?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    When are you going?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Sunday 10/10 7:30 shuttle. Sounds like they’re concerned with the moisture we’re expecting later this week now and may audible to the drop point that makes the ride 22 miles. Fingers crossed to get the whole thing.

Come with…

The top is flat XC ride but the leaves have been great

Sunday 10/10 7:30 shuttle. Sounds like they’re concerned with the moisture we’re expecting later this week now and may audible to the drop point that makes the ride 22 miles. Fingers crossed to get the whole thing.

Come with…
    I've heard it's best to cut the top section off.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Just saw a post on a local FB conditions group that the top is straight peanut butter currently.

Friends rode it Saturday, said the top was frozen Paris-Moobaix teeth jarring cattle footprints, and people were bailing at the last access point. The next two+ miles were wheel stopping peanut butter, and the last bit was superhero traction. He said he would have never ridden it if he knew how bad the mud was.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

The mud up there is so bad, the Indians drew petroglyphs about it. YMMV has never been more accurate.

Sad news, a guy from CO Springs, riding alone, ran out of water and died. Make sure to carry lots of water.
    Article recommends 10L, which seems like a lot, but I guess it would have been good for this guy. How would you even carry that much water? 2.5 gallons?

https://crimewatch.net/us/co/mesa/sh...Tk7yy-hdvHOQR4

^COPMOBA should put a water cache somewhere along that trail

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Right? Not sure how that would be accomplished, but that would be a cool addition. Even a sign next to a stream that said "Fill up here, last H2O for 20 miles". But maybe don't ride that trail in triple digit heat to begin with.

^Agreed, the onus is definitely on the user to be prepared and take heed of the recs/warnings in the trail description. Even the good samaritans were out of water. SAR has been busy so far this spring and summer.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Vibes to the friends and family to the dead mountain biker, but I think people can be self-reliant and we don't need to drop water/food/supplies for people along a trail especially one that short. What happened to leave no trace? What happens when you plan for water to be at a "cache" and its empty? Just plan better.