Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    You and me both! I havent heard of shuttles yet, but I bet we could bribe my wife (a non rider) with Palisade adult beverages to shuttle a mag trip or 2.
    Now that sounds like a plan!

I heard early June through the grape vine.

Which sometimes means they are looking at the last week of May as the actual earliest. I do think there will be this mad rush of bros, brahs, brodettes, and tourists that some envision and think that September - October will be great up there. Not sure if my ACL repair will be up for something this long until next year.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Rode the ~1.5mi exit section today. Lots of steep bench cut and some small tech features. Similar character to lower palisade rim but a lil different. When I talked to the owner of Rapid Creek Cycles (guy who started Over The Edge) a few years ago it sounded like they were gearing up to run shuttles. I’d be shocked if the local shops aren’t all over that - they’ve been gearing up to support this trail for years.

They just posted this afternoon on the plunge facebook they are looking at an estimate of late june-early july for official opening.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I'd heard June opening.

Guesses on how much of a shit show this will be? I can't imagine there is much shuttle infrastructure (# of vans) in the area compared to likely hype/demand.

Good to hear there is some nice tech on it.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that... I've heard conflicting reports from different people I know with regards to how it's being handled, but all of them have said that there's plenty of competition/interest in getting permits to shuttle the Plunge from both in-town companies and others around CO and UT.

They (palisade plunge) just posted on ig that they are still looking at late June.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

subscribing.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I've gone down the rabbit hole a bit looking at video of guys on various segments. Looks like there is exposure greater than the Whole Enchilada with lots of spots you can fall off a narrow trail. Looks like fairly standard desert riding with some steep switch backs coming off the mesa that will be a tough manage to not become really blown out if this gets the traffic I would envision it will. Seems thunder mountain esq., in the mix of horse and bike traffic.

It's very near my parents place which means we'll be hitting it. Seems like the community will have some logistics to deal with. Moab has the art of taking crashed Tourons off the trails down to a science. The cool factor on this trail seems like it will create similar issues. That said, where I seem to see the most injured people in Moab is on jeep and ATV accessible terrain. It looks like a lot of this trail won't have that sort of access?

Conceptually this seems like a gem in the rough. Hope Smoakin is wrong about hike a bike. Certainly in the video I was able to find there isn't a lot of flow. 30+ of the chunk in those videos would be exhausting for good riders.

This is going to be fun to watch and check out!

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    I've gone down the rabbit hole a bit looking at video of guys on various segments. Looks like there is exposure greater than the Whole Enchilada with lots of spots you can fall off a narrow trail. Looks like fairly standard desert riding with some steep switch backs coming off the mesa that will be a tough manage to not become really blown out if this gets the traffic I would envision it will. Seems thunder mountain esq., in the mix of horse and bike traffic.

It's very near my parents place which means we'll be hitting it. Seems like the community will have some logistics to deal with. Moab has the art of taking crashed Tourons off the trails down to a science. The cool factor on this trail seems like it will create similar issues. That said, where I seem to see the most injured people in Moab is on jeep and ATV accessible terrain. It looks like a lot of this trail won't have that sort of access?

Conceptually this seems like a gem in the rough. Hope Smoakin is wrong about hike a bike. Certainly in the video I was able to find there isn't a lot of flow. 30+ of the chunk in those videos would be exhausting for good riders.

This is going to be fun to watch and check out!
    There was quite a bit of chatter on local social media groups last fall, it sounded like SAR did a good bit of training in respect to evac routes, LZs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    There was quite a bit of chatter on local social media groups last fall, it sounded like SAR did a good bit of training in respect to evac routes, LZs, etc.
    My understanding (second hand information) is that there are two spots where they can land a S&R or FFL heli on the lower ~15 miles below Lands End Road for evacuation.

Canada1- it's only the lower half of the Plunge that's technical, exposed, and chunky. The top "half" is pretty mellow and more like XC alpine riding.

Found some youtube vids. I guess its no surprise people are poaching it early. Looks fun! I know its going to be multi-use, but horses - really? I'm sure that will work well with narrow exposed trails and multiple shuttle vans dropping riders off all at once.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Found some youtube vids. I guess its no surprise people are poaching it early. Looks fun! I know its going to be multi-use, but horses - really? I'm sure that will work well with narrow exposed trails and multiple shuttle vans dropping riders off all at once.
    Yeah IDK. Sometimes I just don't get where people decide to ride horses. "Oh super commonly known as a direction MTB DH run? Better take old Patches straight up that motherfucker!"

They don’t come to ride horses...they come to pick a fight.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Trust me, the equestrian equation will not be a factor.

Imagine horses riding up Porc?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Perhaps they just want permission lol
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I rode the last mile or so of the plunge last weekend from the Rim trail. It goes down the wash and has some cool features. Definitely needs some traffic to wear it in. Fun stuff

Interesting that they don't even have a listing of shuttle Ops on the Comba page with it opening this weekend. Anyone know any Ops that are shuttling?

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Interesting that they don't even have a listing of shuttle Ops on the Comba page with it opening this weekend. Anyone know any Ops that are shuttling?
    From talking with a friend, the FS just handed out shuttle permits a couple of weeks ago... so my guess is the website just hasn't been updated yet.

This is gonna be a shit show!
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    This is gonna be a shit show!
    Yeah, almost no parking at that trailhead/picnic area from the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Yeah, almost no parking at that trailhead/picnic area from the looks of it.
    How many people need to park there though? Almost everyone will be getting dropped off... there's virtually no parking at the top of Geysir Pass in Moab either.

I think the biggest thing with the Plunge will be people getting in over their head or having major mechanicals, and having to walk down the entire trail (or large segments of it). In Moab, the difference is the multiple access points along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    How many people need to park there though? Almost everyone will be getting dropped off... there's virtually no parking at the top of Geysir Pass in Moab either.

I think the biggest thing with the Plunge will be people getting in over their head or having major mechanicals, and having to walk down the entire trail (or large segments of it). In Moab, the difference is the multiple access points along the way.
    How many on those shuttles you’ve ridden with in Moab were self sufficient. I think the fact that Palisade is a bit out of the way May lead to more experienced riders? At least it is a hope.

I'm kinda glad I'm on another SAR besides Mesa County so I don't have to rescue Joeys off the plunge. This isn't 18 road. Don't bring your kids or newbie girlfriend to this trail.