Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Broken Axle?

Broken Axle?

Riding tonight, my freewheel started to slip a little. Then a lot. Now it's gone altogether. The rear wheel seems a little wobbly when I push it side to side. I am guessing the rear hub is either gone or, at least, the rear axle broke. Any ideas?

replace wahtever you broke
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^^ Yeah, getting that done. I took it to my LBS and dropped it off. He made it sound like I'm probably looking at a new wheel set. I'm kind of thinking I'd rather not go that route since the bike's a 17 year old 26'er. I've just about completely rebuilt the bike over the past two years and am thinking that it's too much to put on a new wheel set. I think I'd rather buy something current. This old hag's about ready for the pasture. In excellent condition, it's blue book is only about $300, even with a new wheel set. I think it's probably totaled.

somebody should have an axle kicking around, if you were a neighbor I could probably fix you up

Thanks, I would think so, too. The tech said he'd take a look at it and if it's something simple (axle), he'd take care of it. But it sounded like he thought the hub was shot so it would require a new hub, re-lacing the wheel, etc. and a new wheel set was the likely outcome. For this bike, probably not worth the price. I'm kind of moving into the new bike decision at this point. We'll see. I really am due for a new bike but I've put enough into this one over the past couple of years that I hate to lose that investment. I could probably part it out and do better than to replace wheels and sell it as a whole bike.

Also, thanks for the offer for if you were my neighbor.

just find another wheel??

Nah, I'm kind of done with that bike. The more I read about the newer stuff, the less enthused I am about continually fixing the old rattler. I know you know bikes probably better than anyone else on here; at least from what I've read. Do you have any input on the Giant Trance 2? I can get a pretty good deal from the same LBS on one so I'm thinking that's a good place to start. I'll want to try it out a bit but it appears to be a pretty nice bike for the money.

I broke the axle on the rear wheel on my process right before it was stolen. The maxle wouldn't stay tight while climbing.

LBS gave me a wheel they had laying around and got new parts via warrantee to fix the old one.

It's a 26" wheel. They may have a spare. Or not. This bike is 17 years old so no warranty available at this point. If this was the only problem it would be one thing but I've spent a bunch of money on it over the past two years keeping it operational. Frankly, I'm a little tired of the bike and this might be just the excuse I need to buy something new. Thanks for the comment, though.

Sounds like you're looking for an excuse and this one's as good as any other. (Short of having to source a fork, anyway.) Go for the new bike--but if you're looking to keep riding while you shop, I might have a wheel you could borrow. Disk or v-brake? My digits are unchanged or pm me.

Couple friends just did the deep dive and landed on the '18 Trance 2 and are happy. I tried to point them toward the Diamondback Release/Clutch, but they wanted to ride first and buy from LBS. If that's a major factor the Giant is a decent deal.

try a few bikes pick the one that speaks to you

trance is good

edit: Giant was and probably still is the largest bike mfger in the world and they make bikes in their factory for other companies which is probably why you get alot of bike for your $
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-20-2018 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Sounds like you're looking for an excuse and this one's as good as any other. (Short of having to source a fork, anyway.) Go for the new bike--but if you're looking to keep riding while you shop, I might have a wheel you could borrow. Disk or v-brake? My digits are unchanged or pm me.

Couple friends just did the deep dive and landed on the '18 Trance 2 and are happy. I tried to point them toward the Diamondback Release/Clutch, but they wanted to ride first and buy from LBS. If that's a major factor the Giant is a decent deal.
    I really liked the trance, when I was looking a year ago. It is what I would of gotten if a Transition Patrol hadn’t fallen in my lap. You seem to get a lot of bike for the money from Giant.

When I told my wife last night that I broke my bike (again), her first comment was, "Maybe it's time for a new bike?". That's about all the excuse I needed. I'm checking out the Trance 2 today from the same shop I bought my current bike from, an old friend of mine. He has one in stock in my size so I'll do the parking lot ride just to check the fit but, I'm pretty sure it's a done deal. My current bike is a Giant NRS 1 and I've really loved that thing but, like old cars, they reach a point where the maintenance costs outweigh the value of the bike so, time to move up. Besides, the newer designs and technology are what is driving this decision as well.

As for the wheel, it's 26" UST with disk. If it comes to it, I might get hold of you. Thanks for the offer.

I bought an NRS lightly used/built up from frame with hi end parts, it rode like a hardtail but when you hit something there was 4" of travel, I liked the NRS

You really want to check out a 29'er of some kind

Of the two paths for a new bike (try everything vs. get the best deal you can find on current tech and get riding) it sounds like you know which way you want to go. There's good reason to go either way, but the upside of pulling the trigger on a good value is that all the new stuff is so different from the old that your riding style is probably going to update, too, so you'll know more later. Like skis, yadda yadda.

Good call on the wife excuse! Have you ridden the newer trails at Schweitzer yet? Free lifts on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I bought an NRS lightly used/built up from frame with hi end parts, it rode like a hardtail but when you hit something there was 4" of travel, I liked the NRS

You really want to check out a 29'er of some kind
    I was impressed with the climbing of the NRS as it didn't get the soft pedal feel that most full suspension bikes of that time had. You're right, it rides like a hardtail on climbs while the suspension on the descents is pretty forgiving. It takes speed into rock gardens well but, I think that's also what's led to its current state of demise.

I've ridden a couple 29'ers of friends of mine a little bit. I don't know...they just seemed a little too stretched for my tastes. They seemed a little unwieldy. That's why I'm driven more to a 27.5. Even then, it's a longer wheel base than I currently have so I know it will take some getting used to. I'm not a big guy (5-11, 180 lbs) and the 29 just seems to be more than I want/need.

Of the two paths for a new bike (try everything vs. get the best deal you can find on current tech and get riding) it sounds like you know which way you want to go. There's good reason to go either way, but the upside of pulling the trigger on a good value is that all the new stuff is so different from the old that your riding style is probably going to update, too, so you'll know more later. Like skis, yadda yadda.

Good call on the wife excuse! Have you ridden the newer trails at Schweitzer yet? Free lifts on Sunday.
    Haven't ridden at Schweitzer in years. I never go up in the summer. I should probably try it again since all the trails have been put in. My past experience was that it wasn't very good riding; too rocky. I'm sure it's way different now but it's a hassle to go up when I've got great riding 15 minutes from home.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    I was impressed with the climbing of the NRS as it didn't get the soft pedal feel that most full suspension bikes of that time had. You're right, it rides like a hardtail on climbs while the suspension on the descents is pretty forgiving. It takes speed into rock gardens well but, I think that's also what's led to its current state of demise.

I've ridden a couple 29'ers of friends of mine a little bit. I don't know...they just seemed a little too stretched for my tastes. They seemed a little unwieldy. That's why I'm driven more to a 27.5. Even then, it's a longer wheel base than I currently have so I know it will take some getting used to. I'm not a big guy (5-11, 180 lbs) and the 29 just seems to be more than I want/need.
    NRS was a hard tail until you hit something, the rear shock would make that funny slurping sound and give you just under 4"

At 5'8" I'm just a small AZN man but it didn't take longer than an hr to get used to a 29 enduro bike on single track, the more I rode it the better it worked, IME getting forward over the front of the bike was key

YMMV but I think 29's work well down to medium size/ 5'7" at which point the wheels are just too big to fit the frame geometry of a small size

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Haven't ridden at Schweitzer in years. I never go up in the summer. I should probably try it again since all the trails have been put in. My past experience was that it wasn't very good riding; too rocky. I'm sure it's way different now but it's a hassle to go up when I've got great riding 15 minutes from home.
    The two main lift-served trails are still full of pointy tire/shin killers AFAIK; haven't taken those in a few years, either. But there is also access to the new stuff from the top now. I think I've ridden up at least 10x more, but I'm not above a free lift. Happy to show you around if you do decide to check out the new stuff sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    NRS was a hard tail until you hit something, the rear shock would make that funny slurping sound and give you just under 4"

At 5'8" I'm just a small AZN man but it didn't take longer than an hr to get used to a 29 enduro bike on single track, the more I rode it the better it worked, IME getting forward over the front of the bike was key

YMMV but I think 29's work well down to medium size/ 5'7" at which point the wheels are just too big to fit the frame geometry of a small size
    Thanks for the input. I'll talk to my friend about it today. He's ridden with me quite a bit and knows how/what we ride. I also know how he rides and he's on a 27.5 Trance. He's also about my same size. I actually wasn't aware of his riding a Trance until after I looked for my own. I just noticed it on their website. I'll see what he thinks but, thanks again for your input.

The two main lift-served trails are still full of pointy tire/shin killers AFAIK; haven't taken those in a few years, either. But there is also access to the new stuff from the top now. I think I've ridden up at least 10x more, but I'm not above a free lift. Happy to show you around if you do decide to check out the new stuff sometime.
    I may take you up on your offer of a tour but can't make this Sunday. Do you know Ted or Arlene Cook? She's the Ski Patrol Director and, in the summer, Bike Patrol Director. Ted works both, too. Anyway, have fun on Sunday.

I don't think so, but the names are familiar so maybe my wife has introduced me to them 4 or 5 times...that's SOP. Reach out anytime, I'm trying to stay around most of the summer, when not dragging off to Spok Valley.

I went to my friend's LBS and pulled the trigger. Red/Black Trance 2, L on order. I should have it early next week so am anxious to try it out.

This will be a big upgrade, you'll really feel the difference descending. A 67* head angle will be night and day form your old 71*-70* head angle.

^^ Thanks, yeah, that's my thinking, too. It's kind of weird to sit on it as the front tire seems really out there. I'm sure it will take some getting used to but I think it's going to really be an upgrade. One other thing that will is quite noticeable, this bike's about 5 lbs lighter than the old one. That's a big improvement. Having a dropper post will be a different tool, not that I couldn't have put one on the old bike but I've spent enough on that thing. Also, having a single chain ring upfront is interesting. That will simplify shifting when I need gears, fast. All in all, I'm really anxious to get it and get on some dirt!