Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Wow , if only that was all wheel drive. Asking to much, but wishful thinking for something like that snow worthy
    totally- we always wanted that with our VW van too. at least if they are FWD though
    skid luxury

Those old Toyota Previas were AWD and pretty badass. Woulda made a perfect #vanlife van. I think my moms ran till 350K. Maybe a used AWD Sienna would be similar.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Those old Toyota Previas were AWD and pretty badass. Woulda made a perfect #vanlife van. I think my moms ran till 350K. Maybe a used AWD Sienna would be similar.
    They're good. A few issues with accessory belts. And not powerful. And pretty unsafe in a crash. But still a great option for cheap, AWD, and enough space for week long ski adventures.

Better clearance than Sienna's. But Siennas have way nice interiors and drive way more pleasantly.

BBear, that camper is sweet but way out of my price range. I'm stuck between dirt bag and dirt bag at heart. The element is probably the best fit at this point. We might go a different route as my wife has been getting into buying a little pull behind. So I might go full grocery getter. My savings/disposable income might be going another route as we are looking at some down valley land to put up a shop. If that happens...watch out. It would go full redneck rancho real quick. Paramotors, dirt bikes, RVs, trailers, etc.

I think a used element is a good option. You can get a ton of crap inside them. I drove one w 9 mountain bikes Sf-jhole a few years ago comfortably. I'm surprised they stopped making them cause that are pretty versatile

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    They're good. A few issues with accessory belts. And not powerful. And pretty unsafe in a crash. But still a great option for cheap, AWD, and enough space for week long ski adventures.

Better clearance than Sienna's. But Siennas have way nice interiors and drive way more pleasantly.
    If you go Previa, you have to get the factory supercharger. Way back when before #vanlife was a thing, I did a trip to Moab w/a buddy who was doing the #previalife. Aside from riding MTB, the sole purpose of that trip was to get all 4 wheels of the Prev off the ground.

Ok @plugboots you have me interested enough to find and drive an awd Sienna. It would never work as an only vehicle but it does check a lot of boxes for a workmobile and vanlife camper when real 4x4 not required., Would still have a truck or suv for that. I like having two vehicles.

Interesting in this vid, they use a cartoon to illustrate a forklift loading, but that's not how a forklift works, the brown vertical bar in the vid raises, and would hit the tailgate, which is a huge bummer.
    Having a forklift set in a 1,000 pallet is so much easier than hand loading when it's freezing or 100 degrees and trying to wear semi nice clothes.

Do you ever put that kind of weight in yours? Curious how it would handle without airbags. (although I'd have no hesitation to add them) These being parts of the reason of still driving a big dumb truck.

Also curious how easy to disable warning chime for tailgate, and able to make it manual instead of motorized?

Vid also shows the cheesy mini spare, I guess if I tore out the second and third row seats, I could build a low platform to hold tire, tools, skis, etc below and be able to have cargo or sleeping area up top.

FTR, I have a 2005 Odyssey, I have no idea how much weight I have put in it. Many times I've had 8 people, all their crap and a couple bikes on the back, and I really didn't notice anything, but I was driving to go ski, or to sports games, etc. My friend has a couple year old Sienna w/ AWD, and feels the same, and he drives it more on shitty roads than I do. Not sure how it would handle w/ 2000 lbs in back. I would upgrade the springs, or get the bags like the video. I switch off the mechanical doors all the time, the motors are weak, so I don't want to over work them. Go drive one, and read the assorted forums on them.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Oh I thought it was you in a different thread touting sienna.

1000, not two, just to clarify. f150 only holds 1000, but has lots beefier axles etc I would presume. Not sure, I was fairly impressed when I found out sienna hold 1000. I would guess hitting a pothole at 50mph in a minivan loaded down would be a lot more of a problem than in a truck. But, there are certainly minivan advantages.

That was me. I think it's funny that people want a non-existant Nissan van, when a tried and true, extremely durable Sienna already exists. I said 2000 pounds because 8 people times 150 pounds per is 1200 pounds. Add in all the gear, and it's kinda heavy. That's why 1000 pounds isn't anything I'd worry about. Put 2000 pounds of gravel in the back on the regular, and I'd get bigger springs. Both the minivans, (Honda, Toyota), used to share the platforms with their trucks, I don't follow this like I did, so maybe the newer vans have their own platform, whatever.
    I did landscaping to pay for college, and a pick-up made sense, since there was a lot of awkward brushy stuff., and there were never more than 3 people. If I did woodworking, or machinery maintenance, etc. (or ski a lot), I'd want a vehicle that would hold a ton of shit, that would keep me out of the weather while I sat inside and worked with my tools, that would keep things locked up when I wasn't around, and could double as a people hauler.
    This is a minivan.

I never ever haul people, but clean dry cargo lots, and stealth camping would be nice. my f150 with topper is ok, but having the sleeping compartment heated by the engine is nice, and then just moving back into bed. The shorter wheelbase would be nice as well, my truck w/ extra cab, plus 7 foot bed equals over 22 feet.

But, the Sienna only rated to hold about 1,300 or so including driver, not sure if that includes gasoline. Might dump a bit by taking out seats.

and, this was the post I had in mind where I referenced weight in reply. Probably shouldn't have spent 15 minutes looking for that, but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Rideski, if stormchasing and capacity are the main thing with being budget under $20k, consider used awd Toyota Sienna.

Everything's a trade off. My old company bought all the technicians 4 door Chevy Silverados, and the techs all wish they had vans. The Chevy's were cheaper, I guess, but they have the behind-the-cab locking things that don't hold enough, and the topper wouldn't work for them, as they have a lot of small equipment.

Yup, I've said elsewhere a quiver of vehicles is helpful. That's part of why the hated suv works out well if you are going to get by with one vehicle.
    I use my 4lo at least a few times every year for sure. That's what throws a monkey wrench in the whole efficient van concept. Even if you took the sienna, lifted it, beefed up tires etc, the gas mileage is going to sink down towards sequoia levels anyway. Van is probably bigger cargo but burlier stock suspension on suv.

Nissan NV200 AWD

I have airbags in n our sienna. $120 and an hour of your time.

There is a switch on the dash that disables the power rear door (and one for sliders)

I’ve put 6 people, a bunch of rafting gear (6-700pounds?) and pulled our inflated raft w big yeti cooler, dry boxes and water at 75 on the freeway.

Great vehicle.

We just added burlier tires for driving it to put ins and rallying down desert roads.

Great in the snow

Full size blowup bed will fit in back

Ours now has 225k with no major repairs.
    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Thanks, what is max tire size? You can skip the run flats and do whatever you want as long as you manage your own spare? What do you do about that?

Can’t recall size right off hand.

Just tossed a spare in back when getting real. Otherwise on basic road trips carried AAA

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Nissan NV200 AWD

I don’t know the largest tire size that can fit on a sienna, but I have yoko geolandar at tires on my sienna. I have a fwd version with an awd decal. I run real winter tires in winter. Typically, it’s a family hauler 5 plus large dog. It spends time on gravel and dirt roads. I Off-roaded it once kinda far out there and almost got stuck because I tore a sidewall on the worn out HT tires on it.

I’ve also use it to haul lumber, other building supplies, soil, and firewood. Heaviest it’s gone was 900sq ft worth of pergo flooring or maybe 1/3 a cord of partially seasoned hardwood.

120k with only maintenance. The auto sliding door does not work too well anymore (it’s 12 years old). I think the hauling capacity varies a bit by model year.

The first gen of the sienna fit a full sized spare.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 11-07-2018 at 11:35 PM.

Thanks man, I am going to go drive one. Would make a good workmobile and keep miles off of whatever newer truck or suv I get to replace my aging fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    uuuuhg i’m getting the soccer mom van itch
    ready to retire work truck for a wide body girl
    something me and the dogsnkids can hide in
    Lol, dude I'm going to look at a little van today . Mazda 5

Those are cool little vehicles. Never driven one but I like the idea

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Those are cool little vehicles. Never driven one but I like the idea
    Yeah, kinda the only thing in its class here in the states. I'm looking forward to checking it out... will report back here .

I rented a Mazda 5 about a year ago. Worked as expected, drove fine.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    uuuuhg i’m getting the soccer mom van itch
    ready to retire work truck for a wide body girl
    something me and the dogsnkids can hide in
    #lot4vanlife

Just noticed the company my brother works for tricks out the NISSAN NV200 AWD.

https://www.coloradocampervan.com/copy-of-4x4
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Yeah, kinda the only thing in its class here in the states. I'm looking forward to checking it out... will report back here .
    Bought the microvan this evening. Beat ya to #vanlife, Bobby!

5-spd manual makes it a little more interactive. Pretty much a 3 with a big ass, sliding doors, and captains chairs. Handles better than expected. Length is 1" shorter than my Subaru.