Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Agree that the having to re-figure a spare for the AWD sienna is a bitch. I hear you can put one in the back in a well somewhere but don't really know.

Agree 100% on the Astro. While the 14-16mpg sucks (lifted, with a roof box and big tires), its still cheap as fuck to own and crushes snow. While a newer van may get 5 more mpg, the payment/insurance/registration takes a long time to make up cost difference.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Get some deets from the neighbor. Mostly...how did he fix the CV angle in the front by lifting?
    Lemme see what I can find. It's got temp plates on it, so I think he bought it modified from somewhere.

It looks like it's 2-4yrs old, and it appears the newer ones have a drop-down spare behind the front passenger seat, underneath the side door - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzF51sbgIAs

Their van also has large Rhino/Baja racks tray on top, so if the included spare is a donut, they might strap a full-size up top?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    Lemme see what I can find. It's got temp plates on it, so I think he bought it modified from somewhere.

It looks like it's 2-4yrs old, and it appears the newer ones have a drop-down spare behind the front passenger seat, underneath the side door - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzF51sbgIAs
    I think the drop down tire is on the non-AWD model.

We do a lot of sprinter and transit conversions at work, although for government use that runs the gamut from aircraft telemetry to SWAT. Just had a meeting last week with our Ford group and a company out of the DC area called Quigley that does mechanical 4x4 upfits for Ford, Chevy and Nissan. Looks interesting and gives us another 4wd option other than the Sprinter.

I'm not positive whether they do private upfits, but might be worth looking into if you like these vans that currently don't have a stock AWD or 4WD option.

Our Ford guy tells us that an AWD Transit is on the way also.

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    We do a lot of sprinter and transit conversions at work, although for government use that runs the gamut from aircraft telemetry to SWAT. Just had a meeting last week with our Ford group and a company out of the DC area called Quigley that does mechanical 4x4 upfits for Ford, Chevy and Nissan. Looks interesting and gives us another 4wd option other than the Sprinter.

I'm not positive whether they do private upfits, but might be worth looking into if you like these vans that currently don't have a stock AWD or 4WD option.

Our Ford guy tells us that an AWD Transit is on the way also.

Seth

This is a goof right? Pretty sure everyone here knows Quigley. They been doing van 4x4 mods for like 20 years I think. Maybe more.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by Skidog; 06-24-2018 at 08:12 AM.

Quigley has been around forever. More than 20 years I'd expect. They even do conversions that don't invalidate the warranty.

AWD Transit would be a game changer.

Quigley has been around forever. More than 20 years I'd expect. They even do conversions that don't invalidate the warranty.

Yeah after I said 20 years I realized how old I was. Has to be at least 40 I'd imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Honestly, I'm constantly on the hunt for the unicorn of a fuel efficient second vehicle that I can sleep inside of and has decent FS road, winter conditions driving ability.
    You want a Honda Element.

Got bored and checked. Since 1966.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    It is high up on the list. How is the AWD system? I've seen CRV basically be disabled due to the traction control. Can the rear seat be easily removed or is that fold up system the only option?

It is high up on the list. How is the AWD system? I've seen CRV basically be disabled due to the traction control. Can the rear seat be easily removed or is that fold up system the only option?
    I hear how bad the AWD system is in the CRV but I haven’t experienced it. I’ve driven it on snowy roads for 4 years and it made it into and out of the upper Pahsemeroi valley.

I have owned a cr v the awd system seemed fine to me. Sold it with about 110k on clock. Also have a buddy who owns an element. Drives up to Alta couple days a week in season and I never heard a traction complaint. It's "real time" so only engages awd when needed otherwise fwd.

Totally anecdotal: a friend of mine had a CRV, tried to drive up and ice and admitted steep driveway, wheels would literally not turn as it appeared the traction control was preventing any type of engagement.

Totally anecdotal: a friend of mine had a CRV, tried to drive up and ice and admitted steep driveway, wheels would literally not turn as it appeared the traction control was preventing any type of engagement.
    Mine was on 04 pre traction control or an option we opted out of.

Admittedly, I’ve never driven it on steep ice. It has been on lots of snow packed, normal grade (12% and less), roads.

I've got an Element and Mrs SnapT a CRV. We live atop a hill on a dead end dirt road at about 6700 feet in the Tetons...the AWD works fine. Snow tires and they're both equally unstoppable. Mrs SnapT commutes Teton Pass in the winter without issue, I've put the Element places I shouldn't have, and am yet to get into trouble, usually while bird hunting in the fall on fire roads in mud/snow etc. I run pretty aggressive AT's in the summer and snows in the winter.

Element rear seats pop out in about 30 seconds. We've built a simple sleeping platform that fits 2 adults and the dog. I do wish for a little better MPG, 20-24 in the toaster depending on tires etc. They're simple to maintain and parts are cheap. Lift kits are available if wanting to go that route, quite a few lifted Elements with camping conversions on Instagram to check out.

Sometimes I do wish for a little more room. Something like the Transit Connect in AWD would be tits.

Wasn't sure how widely known they were around here. Yes, they work directly with Ford (and probably others also) and don't negatively impact warranty.

I'll try to get some more definitive timelines on the AWD Transit.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Unless you're tall.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Unless you're tall.
    The earlier models would sleep someone up to 6'2-3" ish. Later ones seats dont go froward as far.

I don't see much advantage of the Element to the Outback. Better MPG, more room, better AWD than the Element. I guess reliability is less good with the outback.

I kindda gave up on my hunt for a perfect camper van and decided to go with a pickup truck and camper option...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The earlier models would sleep someone up to 6'2-3" ish. Later ones seats dont go froward as far.

I don't see much advantage of the Element to the Outback. Better MPG, more room, better AWD than the Element. I guess reliability is less good with the outback.
    at 6'4" i can sleep perfectly straight in the back of my 2004 4runner (just barely).

I think cargo height is the big difference. I believe the Element is a lot taller on the inside which makes living/sleeping inside much nicer, not to mention the increased cargo volume and ability to haul taller stuff (bikes, etc) upright. Height is the main feature, IMO, that make vans so great for traveling. That, and not having to get out of the vehicle to get into living/sleeping area.

Quote Originally Posted by phattypowpow View Post
    I think cargo height is the big difference. I believe the Element is a lot taller on the inside which makes living/sleeping inside much nicer, not to mention the increased cargo volume and ability to haul taller stuff (bikes, etc) upright. Height is the main feature, IMO, that make vans so great for traveling. That, and not having to get out of the vehicle to get into living/sleeping area.
    Agree that height is what makes the difference and why vans are the best. From what I can find, Element is about 10" higher than the outback.

ooh just saw this and thought of foggy
    https://www.curbed.com/2018/7/12/175...-recon-campers
    https://www.reconcampers.com/

of course the top of the line is silly spendy- but to get your pop top or a little more space for your daily driver then you can spec it out with your woodworking skillz
    skid luxury

Nissan NV200 AWD

Wow , if only that was all wheel drive. Asking too much, but wishful thinking for something like that snow worthy
    Last edited by mcski; 07-12-2018 at 09:09 PM.