PSA The Horn, Netflix, Air Zermatt Mountain Rescue

Just watched the first show, crevasse rescue, 100 ft fall, ski tourer. Pretty good stuff.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80233842
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

ha, watching 2nd in series and they just pointed out of the heli at someone dropping in on skis and said," you know what we call that, [pointing}, a potential client...."
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Just started watching. Really well made show. Best I've seen in a while.

Damn should have started this thread a few weeks ago.

Good documentary series. Only thing that confused me was the use of the SAR team for onslope injuries that in my mind and experience (very limited obviously with 2 ski seasons) would be sleded down and taken away in the ambulance. does it have to do with the location and no close hospital capable of minor trauma evaluation/potential treatment? Seems like using a heli would be super expensive for a broken arm or w/e.

Guessing it has something to do with universal healthcare and the fact that they charge for rescue over there. Pretty interesting to see their system compared to the US.

I'm guessing a combination of distance from the top of the mountain to the base and the fact that everyone has rescue insurance so the business is a goldmine--I suspect they check to see if victims with minor injuries have insurance before they call in the helicopter. When I got insurance (Carre Niege in France) they said you show it to the rescue crew.

The most interesting thing to me was the crevasse rescues--looking at the effort it takes makes one realize how difficult it would be for a small party to do it. I watched all the episodes--could have been edited a lot shorter.

Yea!!? my best friend almost bit my dick off!

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Yea!!? my best friend almost bit my dick off!
    Next time tell him to be more careful.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Next time tell him to be more careful.
    THEY don't identify as THAT but I will pass that on to IT.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardMech View Post
    and taken away in the ambulance.
    it's a long, slow drive down any of the valleys. quick via chopper (I think they go direct?) and anyways, as said, rescue insurance pays for it generally. make sure you buy some, some way.

Damn who knew health insurance could be so complicated.

still confused at the lack of ski patrol for some (relatively) minor injuries such as collarbones etc, it appears that next to no first aid has been administered prior to the helicopter arriving on scene.

Perhaps a Jong question, but I was under the impression that at a lot of these slopes you were on your own, no patrol, just steeps

I think it's interesting that in euro land healthcare is universal.. ie you get sick, accidentally injured, maybe not your fault even if you made poor choices or mistakes that contributed.... yet, you choose hazardous recreation and you have to buy insurance to cover your rescue....

Its the opposite here. You get sick and cannot afford care, don't have the money saved to not work... f you, you should have had a savings account.

SAR has to save your ass with a helicopter, no matter what dumbass choices you made... we don't charge for rescue...

It's the opposite.

Does Euroland just not rescue those without insurance or do they get a huge bill?.

Euroland has a higher density of heli rescue coverage that the US

I think I read you are only 20mins from a heli evac anywhere in the alps

Not so much in the US

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    Perhaps a Jong question, but I was under the impression that at a lot of these slopes you were on your own, no patrol, just steeps
    There is ski patrol on and near the marked pistes for injury. Generally speaking off piste is only controlled for avalanche if the slope threatens a piste. Helicopter rescue is available everywhere--weather permitting of course. In "Eiger Dreams" Krakauer writes about helicopters buzzing around looking for people to rescue while he was climbing an ice route in the Mont Blanc range.

there were a lot of rescues in resort boundaries, i.e on marked runs and terrain park.

Looks such a cool place to live. Unlike American

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This is a pretty cool show, thanks for the PSA. Like others. I don’t quite get the landing the helicopter on the groomer runs, although they did sled the one chick down to the bottom.

But that hut at the beginning of episode 3.... imagine building that thing?! Insane.