Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I've needle decompressed a resort skier once. Only other time I've done it was on an industrial fall. I've inserted 100's of airways I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    While it completely blows my mind how many bikers don't even carry a bandaid with them, re-read this post until you aren't terrified:

I agree with him. In 15 years of SAR, I haven't seen a bike wreck patient who has needed such things. It *could* be needed and I know how to use them, and they are very light/cheap, so I have them.

When I was doing bike tours in Peru, I had a guy nearly die of hyponutrimia (sp?), so I got really paranoid and carried a pretty damn full kit, but the kit didn't have those items in it. I have since gotten slack.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I'm gonna start carrying a couple oatmeal cream pies in my pack.

You filthy, filthy dog, you

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    When I was doing bike tours in Peru, I had a guy nearly die of hyponutrimia (sp?), so I got really paranoid and carried a pretty damn full kit, but the kit didn't have those items in it. I have since gotten slack.
    It's good to be prepared... for the things you are likely to encounter and can easily fix.

Hyponatremia:
    Prevent by balancing hydration with salt replacement (eg, food).
    Fix it with a candybar or nuun tablet in the water bottle.
    If they are too sick to eat/drink, they need an IV and IV fluid, which I'm never going to be bike with recreationally, so they need SAR/evac. In Peru, that would be a scary situation I imagine!!!

On a related note, I do carry 2 Imodium pills (and an antinausea pill) in my little first aid kit. The ability reduce diarrhea makes life more pleasant and cuts fluid loss. I had to go the clinic in Peru when I became confused from dehydration due to intractable vomiting (my wife dragged me there... I couldn't find my way).
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Now that my new bike has a water bottle holder, I carry a bottle of Nuun with ice and it has totally improved my quality of life.

If they are too sick to eat/drink, they need an IV and IV fluid, which I'm never going to be bike with recreationally, so they need SAR/evac. In Peru, that would be a scary situation I imagine!!!

Trust me, it was fucking terrifying.
    Thing is, four days later he was nose deep into an eight ball in Lima, enjoying the $8 grams of pure.
    It was an interesting trip.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Trust me, it was fucking terrifying.
    If only he had packed a few oatmeal cream pies...

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Now that my new bike has a water bottle holder, I carry a bottle of Nuun with ice and it has totally improved my quality of life.
    Fucking modern goddam bikes that don't have a "real" water bottle holder.

Oh, wait... wrong thread.

He was hallucinating so badly, I can't imagine what he would have thought we were giving him.
    Nicest guy in the world, he was totally hostile and ready to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Fucking modern goddam bikes that don't have a "real" water bottle holder.

Oh, wait... wrong thread.

Pretty funny that I had to go back to an aluminum bike just to get a bottle holder (obviously not the only reason, but I do prefer alu). Fancy Carbon bikes that can be any shape they want, but can't squeeze in a bottle WTF?

Used the Sahmurai SWORD a few weeks ago. Heard the air leak in the middle of a 25 min fast chunky descent. Stopped and turned the wheel until I saw where Stan’s was spewing out under the rim. Made a blind stab since I couldn’t actually see the hole.
    Probably down to 10psi, hit it with a 20gm CO2 and got it to about 27psi and continued on. Maybe 4 min.
    It’s still there, holding air like a boss.

Currently cutting the bacon in half. One half strip installed and one half strip taped to the reamer side (have yet to use the reamer)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9155.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	234.7 KB 
ID:	246027

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Ok. Oatmeal creme pies and cocaine are now in my bike pack. The real question is can I ditch the tourniquet because of this?

No pack setup for park or short trail rides where 750ml water is enough

Med kit
    1up edc tool with plug kit, pliers, patch, boot
    Tube, lever, 2x co2

Can strap a rain jacket on the top tube, snacks and phones in shorts pocket Name:  IMG_20180902_180043_01~2.jpeg
Views: 373
Size:  82.0 KB

Came upon a hiker with a dog that had been ripped open pretty good by some wild creature. Was glad that we had gauze and an ace bandage to be able to stop her bleeding. Took turns carrying the dog out, and now she's doing fine. Often when I take my small pack I leave the first aid out, I don't think I'll do that again. I think a top tube bag might be in order to expand the on bike storage.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Came upon a hiker with a dog that had been ripped open pretty good by some wild creature. Was glad that we had gauze and an ace bandage to be able to stop her bleeding. Took turns carrying the dog out, and now she's doing fine. Often when I take my small pack I leave the first aid out, I don't think I'll do that again. I think a top tube bag might be in order to expand the on bike storage.
    Good on ya for helping them get out of there. What animal do you think did the damage?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Good on ya for helping them get out of there. What animal do you think did the damage?
    The vet thought it was a beaver, but it could have been anything. We came on the scene maybe 15 minutes post-incident.

Sent from my HTC6535LRA using TGR Forums mobile app

Just bought a couple Tubolito tubes from overseas to keep in the pack. Might be a total disaster, 82g vs 200g+ for something that'll hopefully sit in my pack unused for most of a season is worth the extra coin. Will report back if they ever get used.
    https://www.bike24.com/p2244122.html

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Just bought a couple Tubolito tubes from overseas to keep in the pack. Might be a total disaster, 82g vs 200g+ for something that'll hopefully sit in my pack unused for most of a season is worth the extra coin. Will report back if they ever get used.
    https://www.bike24.com/p2244122.html
    Seems like an OK idea, although the price is kinda high. Don't think I'd use them all the time, but as a backup it'd be nice that it doesn't take up as much space/

@jm2e lmk what you think of that thing... and whether it can be a tourniquet!

Topeak ratchet rocket, wolf tooth chain link pliers, dynaplug, CO2, and pocket meat snacks

Starting to get the kit dialed in on the new bike.

On the bike:
    20oz water bottle (usually with an electrolyte mix)
    Dakine Hot Laps Gripper bag with 2 CO2s, inflator head, a tube, and a Dynaplug Racer plug kit
    OneUp EDC pump with multi-tool + quick-link. Currently carrying an extra CO2 there as well but may switch that up.
    I'm also running Cushcore now and might ditch the tube entirely for local rides, since it'd be a bitch to install and you can run flat on cushcore.
    Also may follow Summit's lead and strap my med kit under my seat.

In Dakine Hot Laps 5L fannypack:
    Mor waters
    Snacks
    Keys/phone/etc
    Zip ties, tire patches, spare Dynaplugs, derailleur hanger, shift cable
    Med kit
    Beer
    Strap a jacket to the bottom on cold days

Only carrying a pack now when I need more food/water/layers/supplies for bigger remote days. Big fan of being able to put most of the essentials on the bike and not having shit on my back.

What’s In Your Pack (or On The Bike)?

@jm2e lmk what you think of that thing... and whether it can be a tourniquet!
    Summit, the tubes are plastic and don’t have any elasticity. I doubt they’d work for a tourniquet. A rubber tube would work better.

Name:	IMG_0145.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	238.8 KB 
ID:	256572
    Weird shit. They’re kind of like lightweight whitewater raft plastic, but different. Didnt even make a circle when first inflated.

Name:	IMG_0157.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	232.4 KB 
ID:	256573
    After sitting inflated in tire it kind of took the shape of the tire. I think the plastic actually stretches out to fill the tire, but doesn’t rerun to original shape like rubber does.

Name:	IMG_0167.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	256574
    Before use

Name:	IMG_0166.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	261.5 KB 
ID:	256575
    Folded back up for pack.

At $30/ea definitely a luxury. But then again, so is a mountain bike! I want these in the fanny pack or strapped to the frame. It’s not meant to be a daily driver, it’s lightweight insurance that might be used 1-2 times a year.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What’s the advantage over a road tube at a tenth the cost?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I’m still trying to use up my old 26” tubes. Finally gave one of my old ones out to a guy on the trail in Moab. If you are looking for spare tubes and usually run tubeless, is there really a need for 27.5 or 29” tubes?