Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What’s In Your Pack (or On The Bike)?

Specifically, what’s in your tool/patch/spares/pump kit?

And what’s in your first aid kit?

What’s actually seen action?

Pics for bonus points.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

It varies, but for most rides:

-tube
    -tire lever
    -Crank Brothers multi tool
    -Dynaplug C02 / tire plug thing
    -Syncros mini pump
    -chain master link
    -a couple of voile straps (mostly for strapping rain shell to the outside of the pack)
    -a couple zip ties
    -a mini bottle of chain lube
    -sometimes a shock pump, if I feel like messing with air pressures
    -food / water

I usually only carry a first aid kit on longer rides. But when I carry it, it's pretty minimalist. Some tape, scissors, butterflys, gauze, pain pills. I figure the only trauma that I'm realistically going to be able to address on the side of a trail is a deep gash, and about the best I'm gonna be able to do is stuff it with gauze and tape it up.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    It varies, but for most rides:

-tube
    -tire lever
    -Crank Brothers multi tool
    -Dynaplug C02 / tire plug thing
    -Syncros mini pump
    -chain master link
    -a couple of voile straps (mostly for strapping rain shell to the outside of the pack)
    -a couple zip ties
    -a mini bottle of chain lube
    -sometimes a shock pump, if I feel like messing with air pressures
    -food / water

I usually only carry a first aid kit on longer rides. But when I carry it, it's pretty minimalist. Some tape, scissors, butterflys, gauze, pain pills. I figure the only trauma that I'm realistically going to be able to address on the side of a trail is a deep gash, and about the best I'm gonna be able to do is stuff it with gauze and tape it up.
    Pretty much the same for me, unless it's a really big remote ride. I do carry a little bin with small odds and ends that have come in handy, cleat screws in particular.

In my head tube I have:
    - a OneUpComponents ECD tool
    - an extra master link
    - a 16oz C02 canister .

Strapped to the frame I have:
    - a Specialized Tube Spool
    -a spare tube with a schrader adaptor attached
    -a 20oz C02 canister attached to a C02 nozzle
    -a tire boot
    -a patch kit
    -$40 cash
    -a Dynaplug Racer tool

Pockets are free of tools or parts. Short rides food goes in pocket and water goes in bib pocket. For longer rides the food and water goes in my Camelback hip pack.

I usually only carry a first aid kit on longer rides. But when I carry it, it's pretty minimalist. Some tape, scissors, butterflys, gauze, pain pills.
    Add 3 nitrile gloves in there (because 3 can become 2 before you know it). Protect yourself.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Add 3 nitrile gloves in there (because 3 can become 2 before you know it). Protect yourself.
    I think I do actually have some gloves in there. But yeah, good call - I should double check on that. I should probably also freshen up the pills since those are... old. I'm assuming those things expire / lose their pep?

I have a Bontrager bum bag for shorter rides (~2 hr) and Camelbak Skyline LR for longer ones. I have a tube strapped to 1 bike with a OneUp strap (basically a black Voile strap).

The Camelbak has a few extra things that the bum bag doesn't:
    *Adventure Medical 0.5 first aid kit - I've used the pain killers, antiseptic wipes, and bandaids out of that. I added in some allergy medicine.
    *derailleur cable - never used
    *derailleur hanger - never used
    *tire boot (piece of rubber for patching tear) - never used

Both bags have:
    2x CO2 cartridges + inflator - used once
    multitool - use frequently
    2x tire levers - used once
    a few zip ties - never used
    plug kit (Genuine Innovations) - used once on someone else's bike
    patch kit - used once on someone else's bike
    2x quick links (12x + 11x) - used once

In my fanny pack:

mini pump
    3 plastic tire levers
    spare tube
    a couple small pieces of plastic sheet (maxxis tire packaging) to cover large sidewall slashes so a tube wont leak out
    clif bar
    sample size of NoXplode or another pre workout powder
    multitool w/chainbreaker
    small bit of wire coat hanger (to help hold and reconnect a broken chain)
    a bit of twine
    a few zip ties
    small bottle of super glue
    dog poop bag

sometimes:
    shock pump
    beer
    dog leash
    extra food

Andeh, you like the LR? Coming to the conclusion that a fanny pack isn’t for me, but don’t think I can go back to a regular pack.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Tube attached with Voile strap under seat (used by friends)
    Pedros levers (used by friends)
    Pump
    Zip ties
    Reverb collar (used by me)
    Plug kit (unused)
    Tire boot (unused)
    Crank Brothers multitool
    Gauze pads
    Roll of vet wrap

Longer rides I'll add a few more first aid odds and ends as well as a derailluer cable and hanger

Pretty much same as most but add:
    Extra edibles
    Bear spray(on chest strap of pack or chest holster)

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Andeh, you like the LR? Coming to the conclusion that a fanny pack isn’t for me, but don’t think I can go back to a regular pack.
    Check out the henty enduro pack. Depending on what you dislike about the fanny pack, it might be what you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm going to focus on emergency stuff because I'm not going to have any cool repair ideas that bike gurus haven't already mentioned.

COMMUNICATIONS: Whistle, Cellphone, PLB

REPAIR: Includes tape and a multitool that has a good knife

1st AID KIT:
    3x gloves
    Pain reliever
    Alcohol wipes
    Bandaids (tough)
    4" coban roll
    Triangular bandage + safety pin
    Hemostatic Gauze
    SWAT-T Tourniquet
    10mL NS flush syringe
    Numask
    28fr adjustable flange NPA + Lube

With that kit you and some improvisation you can treat:
    Road Rash
    Extremity Fracture
    Laceration/severe bleeding

It's not going to be pretty, but it is cheap, light, and should get you out or help your friend until professional rescue arrives.

Whistle is important because if you are off the side of the trail, nobody riding by with their eyes on the trail will see you and they may not hear you, especially with earbuds in. One time I endoed off trail down an embankment and fractured my knee cap. Luckily I dragged myself and my bike onto the trail and rode out.

PLB (or InReach) a simple little ride just two miles on a trail between neighborhoods, my wife wrecked in a small area where her phone didn't work. Her knee was sliced to the bone the full width of her leg on the front. She couldn't stand up. She bandaged herself with the above medkit and activated the PLB. Help came.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

just a tourniquet and my trusty .45 eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I'm going to focus on emergency stuff because I'm not going to have any cool repair ideas that bike gurus haven't already mentioned.

COMMUNICATIONS: Whistle, Cellphone, PLB

REPAIR: Includes tape and a multitool that has a good knife

1st AID KIT:
    3x gloves
    Pain reliever
    Alcohol wipes
    Bandaids (tough)
    4" coban roll
    Triangular bandage + safety pin
    Hemostatic Gauze
    SWAT-T Tourniquet
    10mL NS flush syringe
    Numask
    28fr adjustable flange NPA + Lube
    No 14ga angio catch with stopcock?

However many are in a shit ton.

I carry most everything mentioned:

tube
    CO2s
    chain breaker
    folding allen keys
    patch kit
    metal tire levers
    pump
    food
    extra layer if needed (rain shell or polypro)
    food
    green
    pipe
    lighter
    knife/multi-tool

I also picked up some Wolftooth pack pliers recently for those few occasions when I need to break a master link: https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ts/pack-pliers. Pretty trick little tool that also holds two master links.

Also add a zip lock of baby wipes for longer groups rides. There's always someone who didn't pinch off a loaf before the ride.
    Last edited by HankScorpio; 06-19-2018 at 07:05 AM.

Good emergency info, Summit. I need to improve that.

Bear bell is always on the bars, for hikers, moose, bear and (try not to think about) big kitties. Otherwise it varies by the ride: straight out the door maybe water bottle, keys and a cell phone. Which I've used: "meet me on the highway"--so I usually add a multi-tool.

Standard pack for medium rides. New water and food every time.

Optional: bear spray and a folding hand saw in the pack side pockets. Radio/GPS. Paracord and the better knife/pliers tool should probably make it in more often.

The pack always has: minor first aid box, master link, zip ties, little wire, multi-tool (with chain breaker, knife and two Torx sizes), plastic tire lever and Quik-stik, bungee cord, toe strap, pumps, emergency food, whistle, lighter, plastic bag(s), Enduralites, napkins, hand sanitizer, sunscreen stick. And a microfiber map of Hurricane, UT. Just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I also picked up some Wolftooth pack pliers recently for those few occasions when I need to break a master link: https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ts/pack-pliers. Pretty trick little tool that also holds two master links.
    That's pretty cool.

How big are some of your packs? You guys are carrying a lot of shit!

I have a Outvi Possum pouch on the bike for a tools, and tube. Rain layer if it is gonna rain, water, TP, snack and that's it. Sometimes pads if necessary. Oh yeah, zip ties have saved me from a brake line dragging on the tire once.

As far as first aid, not a bad idea, but I leave it in the truck. I like to think I can handle most minor emergencies by walking home or to the truck but who knows?

What’s In Your Pack (or On The Bike)?

Most of my rides are sub 2 hours and I try and pre-hydrate so my hip pack with one 20oz water bottle will do. Spare tube, co2, tire levers, some zip ties, multi-tool, quick link, derailleur hanger & cell phone (just started carrying that this season).

I usually ride with others so between us we can fix most everything that goes wrong.

Check out the henty enduro pack. Depending on what you dislike about the fanny pack, it might be what you're looking for.
    Yeah, I only have a small, lightweight fanny pack, and am not a fan when it's loaded. I've been wondering about something that rides low, but has shoulder support. Do you have the Henty? I was also looking at the Source Hipster. Honestly, makes me wish I would have gotten a Wingnut years ago.

Bike always has C02, a tube, plugs, and a multi-tool strapped to it so I can just grab it and go.

Still figuring out the pack for longer rides, but it's clear that I'm woefully under-prepared in the first-aid department. Thanks for making me feel inadequate, jerks.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I usually ride with others so between us we can fix most everything that goes wrong.
    I have a friend that asks if anyone has tools and a tube before a ride. If so, he leaves his at the car. He's also the strongest rider in the group. Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    No 14ga angio catch with stopcock?

2x 10ga 3" with stopcocks but I left them off the list

Knife and pliers works too in desperation
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    I have a friend that asks if anyone has tools and a tube before a ride. If so, he leaves his at the car. He's also the strongest rider in the group. Dick.
    A couple guys I ride with have decided to go packless with just a tube and CO2 strapped under their saddle. I kinda want to refuse the necessary tools I have if/when they get a mechanical or run out of water.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    That is a dick move.

I was suggesting that if someone gets a double flat or some other catastrophe, we can take care of it as a group due to a variety of tools, duplicates, etc.

On a group camping trip not everyone brings along the full cookset, their own tent, etc. Same idea on a group ride.

Anyone tried one of these for on bike storage? Carrying a pump is one reason I carry a pack even on shorter rides, this might eliminate that need.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ducts/pump-bag