WTB Time ATAC pedals

Just wondering if anyone has some time atac pedals they could get rid of.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Wish they still made those....

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Wish they still made those....
    I see you haven't sobered up, because they still do.

I don't know which model you want but if Worldwide Cyclery carries them, I can get you a solid discount. Shoot me a PM.

They still make them but they're not as robust. I have a pair of mx4s that I dragged over the top of a rock kind of lightly. It bent the wrapped part of the spring on one of the bars to the point that it became loose and wouldn't hold a cleat on one side.

I guess the good news is that it bent back easily in a vice. But I've been riding those things since they came into existence and I've never had that happen with the older style. Don't get the newer ones with the squared off bars. They make grooves in the sole of your shoes that leads to play. The round ones groove up your shoes too but they still function. I also broke one of the square design ones on day two tapping a rock pedaling uphill at about 0mph. I think they're letting the roadies design everything. If only they really knew how much crank bros money they were leaving on the table.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

You can also find some decent deals on Mavic branded pedals.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    I see you haven't sobered up, because they still do.
    I was referring to the good ones. I’m steering clear of the current batch.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I was referring to the good ones. I’m steering clear of the current batch.
    The round bar ones are fine
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

YMMV but I had a set of time peddles for the road bike that came used, I didn't like using Time as much as SPD so now I just use SPD & mtn bike shoes for all my road/touring/mtn bikes
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    The round bar ones are fine
    This might be an awful question, but which of the recent production are round and which are square? I've been considering picking up another set.

Thanks for the help but was just looking if someone had something laying around that was cheap. Just bought a set off of ebay for $20 that hopefully will do the trick. It's for a junker bike that I want to have the option of using the pedals if I want.

Any particular suggestion on who has the Mavic ones cheap? I picked up a pair from Backcountry a couple years ago at basically half price, but wish I'd have bought more for when I can no longer keep my old Aliums running on the fleet. I gave up on spds years ago. I grenaded a brand new pair on a rock riding South Mountain with some Phoenix friends, and took note that nearly the whole crew was running Times.

Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    You can also find some decent deals on Mavic branded pedals.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    This might be an awful question, but which of the recent production are round and which are square? I've been considering picking up another set.
    I think that's a good question. I want to know, too.

I use Time (road) pedals on my road bikes because I have knee problems with anything else. I'm gonna break down and get a gravel bike soon, and I've been hoping ATACs will work for me. I've had knee trouble with SPDs and Look S-Tracks.

Try Ebay for ATAC XE or XS - they were the last decent ATAC models Time produced. The price for used ATAC pedals has been climbing into the stupid range.
    The main difference visually is that the XE/XS retention beams have a chamfered/flattened profile vs. the older round profile.
    The new generation (XC 6/8/12) retention beams are obviously stamped, with a rough square profile. They're garbage.
    I'm not sure about the MX models, but it looks like they use the older round retention beams. Maybe worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post

Any of the ones with a platform have the round bars. All the smaller/lighter ones have the notched square bar. The square ones actually work really well, but eventually groove out your shoes. Plus the steel wire used for them seems to be a lot more brittle.

round bar design
    Name:  time-mx4-pedal.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  16.7 KB

square bar design
    Name:  timesquare.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  5.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Any of the ones with a platform have the round bars. All the smaller/lighter ones have the notched square bar. The square ones actually work really well, but eventually groove out your shoes. Plus the steel wire used for them seems to be a lot more brittle.

round bar design
    Name:  time-mx4-pedal.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  16.7 KB

square bar design
    Name:  timesquare.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  5.4 KB
    It looks like the new fancy "Speciale" enduro ones that were just released have a square bar.

https://www.time-sport.com/int-en/ti...2017-2018.html

Edit: I'd also note that my shoes get grooved from both the round and square bar versions. I seem to get better retention on the round bar versions I've had though. No idea why.

The round bar ones groove the cleats along with the shoe. Maintains kind of a symbiotic wear pattern between the two.

The square ones just dig into your shoe and loosen up the interface.

I've agonized over this for far too long as you can tell.

I though all the non-adjustable ones were round-bar? Anyway, it's easy to tell from the pics. Woo, my MX4s shit the bed after a few seasons too, actually short relative to the OG ones. MX8s seem more robust, and they're lighter than XTR trail! Carbon composite but still with steel spindles. Got 'em for $85 with free shipping off some Euro site.

Yes, stay away from the square bars. As noted, better retention and to me, consistency with the round bars.

The new "Speciales" do look bling but, shame about the tension adjust (not needed), and square bars. Also, they're expensive as hell, and really just kinda unnecessary in general IMO.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air