Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I tip the cart girl $4 on a $6 drink.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

I was in a large group at a bach party dinner. Waitress did a great job dealing with us idiots. When she brings the check, she informs us that we were good guests and she has removed the large party 18% gratuity… Smart move. We tip her 30%. She was great.

Restaurants should just raise prices 20% and pay staff a real wage. Then we can tip an extra 5-10% when they go above and beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I tip the cart girl $4 on a $6 drink.
    Hope she’s got a stick too.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Restaurants should just raise prices 20% and pay staff a real wage. Then we can tip an extra 5-10% when they go above and beyond.
    You would think, but a well-known implementation of that model recently backpedaled and went back to tipping.

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_bri...urants-tipping

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    You would think, but a well-known implementation of that model recently backpedaled and went back to tipping.

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_bri...urants-tipping
    They started their experiment right before COVID… going back to basics is likely related to attempting to keep the lights on through the pandemic…

Plenty of restaurants in Seattle do the 20% service charge and are very successful… There is no reason it can’t be the norm IMHO…

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Prices have easily gone up 20% at restaurants in the last 12 months around here. We still tip 20% and often more for great service.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

They started their experiment right before COVID… going back to basics is likely related to attempting to keep the lights on through the pandemic…

Plenty of restaurants in Seattle do the 20% service charge and are very successful… There is no reason it can’t be the norm IMHO…
    The article says Meyer started the no-tip policy in 2015 and it was definitely in place when I was there in 2018. It also mentions some staff preferring the tipping model. I'd be interested in how that opinion scales across the industry.

Adding a 20% service charge to the bill is still a tipping model isn't it? Or, are you saying menu prices were raised 20%? I don't even want to see reference to a service charge or automatic gratuity or anything else. Just show me the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    10% on takeout. Sorry.
    No ones filling my water glass etc.

Back of the house doesn’t get ten when you tip twenty for table service.
    Cunts gonna cunt. Shocking.

Situationally aware tipping in the USA like a decent person - how to ?

I’m sure this has been covered but too lazy to go back and read this thread

Are you all tipping on the full bill after the tax is added or just on the cost of the food/service pre-tax?

Part of me is wondering why I am tipping on a government charge that goes back to the government but it seems to be included when they give you the suggested tip % on the bill.

With prices going up everywhere and meals costing more I’m keyed in on this more lately.

A quick google search seems to consistently indicate the pre-tax amount is the norm but all the restaurants are calculating tip recommendations based on the taxed amount.

Are we being swindled?

And yes, I’m a cheap ass.

Why would you ever tip on taxes? Not a cheap ass. That’s smart. My dad taught me this. Thanks dad!

People are lazy. Restaurants take full advantage of those that choose not to do math.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Why would you ever tip on taxes? Not a cheap ass. That’s smart. My dad taught me this. Thanks dad!

People are lazy. Restaurants take full advantage of those that choose not to do math.
    That’s what I want to hear.

My wife treats me like the old man in the deli when I calculate my own tip on my phone.

Name:  Image1661629816.161996.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  16.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post

If your average restaurant tab is $100 then you’re saving, like $1.50 by not tipping on the tax. Sounds pretty cheap to me.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    If your average restaurant tab is $100 then you’re saving, like $1.50 by not tipping on the tax. Sounds pretty cheap to me.
    Sure, depending on the tax rate of where you eat.

My average bill is $90-$100 for 2 adults and a kid, I have a small family. Family of 5 or more it starts adding up. This is like Cheesecake Factory / Outback Steakhouse kind of garbage places (mostly due to the kid)

It’s more of the deception by the restaurant that pisses me off, but I know it’s an easy way to have the public tip your servers more. Tax on food isn’t part of the service to me.

Rant over.

An extra dollar or two probably isn’t going to blow up your budget but it can mean a lot to the server (even psychologically), and the dollar or two per table starts to add up.

I went to cars and coffee this morning. Always bring my own coffee but was running late and decided to buy there. I get to the pop-up table in the parking lot and ask for two coffees, hand the lady my card and she asks if I want to leave a tip. Everything is self-serve; she is literally doing nothing but collecting money. And, asks if I want to leave a tip. Like, what are you doing that you think a tip is appropriate? And, that shit is absolutely everywhere. See you in the shit that annoys you thread.

Situationally aware tipping in the USA like a decent person - how to ?

Ah. Yes that bullshit.

Its almost like when you go to a place and pay when you order and are asked to enter a tip.

Tipping before I even get any service or eat the food.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Haha, you’re the one giving away your money needlessly. Sounds pretty dumb to me.

I tip on the service, not just blind 20%.
    Some servers make a real effort. They get compensated. Some do the bare minimum at best. They do not, they get the straight 20, no more. And not on the tax.

Edit: self serve wants a tip? Um no. Never.

My eyesight sucks and I'm lazy so I usually tip on the total in large print at the bottom. I'm a 20% tipper unless the service is horrible. However, since I'm tipping on the taxes total, I round down instead of calculating it to the penny.

You know what happens when you tip on the tax? You give a slightly higher tip, both in dollars and in percentage. On a $100 bill with 10% tax (so $110 total), if you tip 20% on the whole thing it's $22, so $132. If you tip on just the food it's $20, so $130. So 20 bucks tip versus 22 bucks, a difference of a 20% tip and a 22% tip (if calculating by the "correct" method). Save yourself the brain damage and worry about other things than an establishment scamming you of an additional 2% (you gave 20% willingly) of your bill to give to the servers. You're right, they shouldn't do that, but it's really not worth thinking about.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

If I get a paper charge slip I tip in whole dollars because I'm too lazy to add more than one or two columns of figures. (I don't think I've ever left a 3 figure tip.)
    I tip generously out of self interest--if servers can't afford to live here restaurants close.
    And remember that servers pay taxes on their tips whether they get them or not. Like it or not tipping is a big part of how servers get paid in the US. It would take them doing something pretty awful for me to stiff a server. If you don't like tipping eat at McDonalds.

“You will never get rich by tipping too little”
    —My Dad

We don’t have sales tax here, so don’t have to worry about that. For our local establishments I tip about 25% - knowing that about half of the town’s restaurant staff is houseless.

Guy I used to work with tipped 40% - after subtracting beverages and tax. Sez the markup on beverage service is obscene before a tip.

Nobody said shit about not tipping for service. Don’t worry, McDonalds will probably soon ask for a tip when you order like other self services places are now doing so they don’t have to increase wages.

My rant was about restaurants auto calculating your tip % using the taxed amount instead of just the cost of food and service.

I tip 20% minimum, more if service is great.

And remember that servers pay taxes on their tips whether they get them or not
    wanna 'splain dat?

My rant was about restaurants auto calculating your tip % using the taxed amount instead of just the cost of food and service
    You control the tip, remember?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    wanna 'splain dat?
    The voice of the working class doesn’t know how the irs has treated tips positions? You are supposed to report 100% of tips, there was an assumption that staff should get >8% of sales as tips, and if you were a tipped position and didn’t you were in trouble. Bartenders/waitresses definitely could run into trouble for this, no idea bitd how skycaps or doormen were susceptible

Tip minimum 20% in cash unless the service sux.
    Tip your housekeeper at the hotel.

If you do not want to Tip well , don't go out.