Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I once, ONCE, didn't tip a taxi driver in Vegas. He went a long way to the airport and it pissed me off. I normally tip no matter what, and the ONE time i didn't.....he called me out on it and wouldn't unload my bags. Fuck him.

One of a million reasons Uber is doing well.
    I loathe taking taxis. Usually give a tip around 10% but sometimes don't if the guy is an asshole. Once I gave a driver a $20 for a $12 ride and told him I wanted $5 change. He went back to front of the car like he was going to grab my change but got in and drove off instead. After that I always paid credit card no matter how much they'd bitch. I'd always ask if CC was ok when I got in. Had a driver one time say it was fine but then bitch the whole drive about CC companies. I paid with CC using one of those manual imprint devices, and apparently it was declined when they ran the charge later. He showed up back at my office the next day outraged and demanding cash payment on the spot. No one present had cash so I had to pay by CC again. The drivers in Vancouver when I lived there used to refuse trips from downtown to the airport, even though turning down rides like that was not allowed. You had to get in and give them a fake destination, then tell them after a few minutes that you were actually going to the airport. If you said airport up front they'd just drive off. Thankfully I never have to take cabs anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    I have been moved many times. For the packers/loaders/unloaders I always buy them lunch. I let them pick the spot of their choice and have plenty of cold beverages on hand for them.
    First couple times I used movers it didn't even cross my mind to tip. The next couple times moving locally I gave them each $20, or about 10%. They busted their asses to get it done and did a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Kid worked at a Sonic Drive In. Because their employees deliver food to the car, they claim they are in the restaurant business, and therefore only have to pay their "servers" server wages i.e. $2.13 an hour. No one knows to tip the "server" at a fast food joint. But they will give you an extra $1.00 if you deliver the food on roller skates or blades.
    Most states have laws that say that hourly + tips has to equal the regular minimum wage, but apparently a lot of employers ignore the law. Shocking but true.
    Given that the Supreme Court (I'm surprised no corporation has bought the naming rights to the Court yet) has made class action lawsuits against employers pretty much impossible and given that most states labor dept are similarly in the pocket of big business there's not much employees can do.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    What isn't clearly pointed out is your boss is actually stiffing their workers, and his/her customers have to choose to make up for it depending on how the service is.
    I hate how much polyass is spilling into the PR these days so I will keep it short. But if you're ever curious, look into margins for a middle of the road restaurant and you will realize most people don't make their wealth on a restaurant. It's a bigger, pervasive issue in America. It doesn't change the fact that everyone deserves a living wage.

Also, the last service job I worked was slinging drinks at a cocktail bar, my kitchen work before that was in fine dining. Because of tips, I was making more serving a good Old Fashioned than I do now teaching lab for Freshman physics and fulfilling NIH grants.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I never understood tipping the hotel maid unless you really did a number on the place.
    They are making $10 an hour to clean your room, pick up your towels, etc. No one appreciates a tip like the maid. Leave 5 bucks next time and see just how clean and organized your room is. I tip on the first nights rather than when I’m leaving.

Situationally aware tipping in the USA like a decent person - how to ?

How would you tip in this situation?

Fancy pants hotel offers free rides into and around town as part of the amenities. Not a shuttle they use Lexus vehicles I think.

Thinking that may be the way to go to have a few extra drinks.

$20 a trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HD333 View Post

Fancy pants hotel offers free rides into and around town as part of the amenities. Not a shuttle they use Lexus vehicles I think.

$20 a trip?

Depends on how far the trip is, how many passengers will be tipping. And if you have Covid, multiply by 10, at least.

I have an English friend whose family did a Florida trip when he was in his teens. His dad tipped a gas station attendant $20 for gassing up their rental car and was told "Thanks! Come back any time!"

Tipping for more and more services has become normalized in the USA as low paying jobs have not kept up with inflation/purchasing lower, leaving those workers at the whim of customers and customers required to help make up for those low wages.

My normal policy is to tip people who perform a personal service for me--waiters, the people in the deli who make my sandwich to order, shuttle and taxi drivers--but not check out clerks. Maybe that's inconsistent. I have been tipping everybody I can and more than I usually do during the pandemic because of the risk they are taking to serve me and to make a living. I would much rather people be paid a living wage and get rid of tipping and I would gladly see prices rise to cover it. If a business wants to charge a service fee in lieu of tipping I would have no problem with that except that I wonder if the employees actually get the money, especially in places like chain hotels where they charge you a service fee for amenities you don't use. Tipping is demeaning IMO.

My hotel room stays are usually for a good length of time, like 40-50 days.
    A good health tip early on, and a light tip (each day I request service, which is every few days) each service always results in excellent service.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I have an English friend whose family did a Florida trip when he was in his teens. His dad tipped a gas station attendant $20 for gassing up their rental car and was told "Thanks! Come back any time!"
    Are you sure he's English?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Yeah, apparently he was worried about being seen as a non-tipping stingy Euro bastard and over compensated

Yeah, apparently he was worried about being seen as a non-tipping stingy Euro bastard and over compensated
    Whenever my dad visits and insists on picking up a tab I alway have to say ok but I'll tip.

Otherwise he just rounds the check up to the nearest $
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

How much does a DUI cost in the states? Up here it’s like 5k minimum. Give the dude a 50 a rest easy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Speaking of this, are you supposed to tip the gas station attendants in Oregon? I'm presuming not, but never know for sure.

I don't carry cash. If you want a tip, you have to accept my shittoken.
    If they want Bitcoin I'll pay them 5% extra too - but only if they allow me to deduct all transaction costs.
    Not my fault if they aren't ready for the future!
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Well, he certainly wasn’t Scottish...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

people don't appreciate how much of a slog waiting is. Always leave a good tip. It is always appreciated.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Speaking of this, are you supposed to tip the gas station attendants in Oregon? I'm presuming not, but never know for sure.
    No. I’ve tipped on rare occasions when they’ve gone above and beyond, it for normal gas pumping tips are not customary.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I have never tipped for gas service in Oregon in 20 years of living here.

I’d consider it if the service consisted of more than a card swipe and pulling a nozzle lever. Can’t remember the last time I had my window cleaned.

It is a minimum wage job which is 12.00 outside Portland and 13.25 in Portland metro.

Whenever my dad visits and insists on picking up a tab I alway have to say ok but I'll tip.

Otherwise he just rounds the check up to the nearest $
    Yes. This.

And if my dad insists he tips, I usually have to hit the head after we leave the restaurant so I can go back in and tip.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    I have never tipped for gas service in Oregon in 20 years of living here.

I’d consider it if the service consisted of more than a card swipe and pulling a nozzle lever. Can’t remember the last time I had my window cleaned.

It is a minimum wage job which is 12.00 outside Portland and 13.25 in Portland metro.
    If I were in OR I'd expect them to clean my rear view camera. The windshield I can use the sprayer and wipers on.

I went to buy a ton of stove pellets the other day. A dude there helped me load all 25 bags into my truck. I have him $5 and he gave me a funny look and then awkwardly said thanks. I thought this was a no brainer tipping situation but I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by HD333 View Post

$20 a trip?

as lifetime hotel guy, $5 is fine $10 is better. Again depends on locality.

ALWAYS tip your housekeeper, always.

&

I grew up on Long Island and you tipped anybody who helped you, you'd get better service next time, and if it was you who was tipped you'd remember the person and do a little extra for them. When I moved to WA. I'd still tip and get the strangest looks and then told "I can't take that". Who said you can't receive tips.
    The first time in OR I got out and started pumping my own gas, the attendant couldn't figure out why I was doing it or why I said he could go back inside.