Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Tipping with cabs is pretty much about helping with bags or extra local info that hooks you up or taking care of precious cargo (like unaccompanied minors)...otherwise not really
    Really? I've always assumed you should tip for a cab ride.

Haircut is a definite tipping situation.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Haircut is a definite tipping situation.
    Only if you want to go back there.

I accidentally stiffed my barber two days before Christmas and felt so bad I went back and gave her $20 the next day. She was like "Oh, didn't even notice." haha. Oh well, I felt better. And dammit that's what's important.

What do you guys think about laborers like landscapers? I figure they are busting their butts out there and $20 per person minimum per days seems called for, but I also wonder if it should be more.

https://youtu.be/j_bDlJ2L8NA

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What do you guys think about laborers like landscapers? I figure they are busting their butts out there and $20 per person minimum per days seems called for, but I also wonder if it should be more.
    As a former master of the landscape arts, tipping is pretty much non-existent. I would typically get maybe 20 bucks once a season for a yard cleanup from some sweet old lady. It was nice and all but certainly not expected by me, or any other landscaper I knew, or know now.

Now instead of 20 bucks, an ice cold drink on a hot day, and you made that landscapers week.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Now instead of 20 bucks, an ice cold drink on a hot day, and you made that landscapers week.
    that's what I might do for laborers, offer them something to drink or eat.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I once, ONCE, didn't tip a taxi driver in Vegas. He went a long way to the airport and it pissed me off. I normally tip no matter what, and the ONE time i didn't.....he called me out on it and wouldn't unload my bags. Fuck him.

One of a million reasons Uber is doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I have been moved many times. For the packers/loaders/unloaders I always buy them lunch. I let them pick the spot of their choice and have plenty of cold beverages on hand for them.

Re: tipping on takeout -

If you go pick up food at a restaurant, to go (like a call in order) - why do you tip?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

If you go pick up food at a restaurant, to go (like a call in order) - why do you tip?
    As has been already pointed out in this thread, kitchen workers also make dick for pay and rely on a tipshare from FoH to supplement their income. When you stiff a waitress, you are often stiffing every worker at the place.

If I were the judge I'd say thats pretty cheap of you to do so. Even a 200 dollar bill you are talking about what, 4 extra bucks by tipping on the tax.
    I always tip based on pre-tax amount. I want to know where you live that has 2% sales tax on prepared food. In many places, tax on a meal is 8-12% of the cost.

Our crew had a homeowner that baked us all sorts of awesome while we were building their new house(right next to old house, same property). It was winter and one particularly chilly morning(Montana chilly) she brought a Dutch oven full of elk sausage gravy and fresh baked biscuits! I don't ever expect anything as I make a decent wage but it's nice to know there's genuinely nice people around still.

And I usually tip well unless someone really fucks it up(ie service) and no sales tax here.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I always tip based on pre-tax amount. I want to know where you live that has 2% sales tax on prepared food. In many places, tax on a meal is 8-12% of the cost.
    Right, but even a 10% food tax on a $200 bill is $20 of tax. If you refuse to tip on that tax amount, you're saving yourself $4 of tip. On a $200 bill.

Math.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

"Why?" isn't relevant. There is nothing rational about tipping in the US.
    https://www.motherjones.com/environm...araman-forked/

Right, but even a 10% food tax on a $200 bill is $20 of tax. If you refuse to tip on that tax amount, you're saving yourself $4 of tip. On a $200 bill.

Math.
    Well that right there is a fact. Still, I tip on pre-tax amount. It's about tipping as a percentage of the cost of the services rendered, not about tipping on that cost plus whatever fees are levied on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Well that right there is a fact. Still, I tip on pre-tax amount. It's about tipping as a percentage of the cost of the services rendered, not about tipping on that cost plus whatever fees are levied on top of it.
    That's the way I see it. And $4 is like almost half a pack of smokes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

As a former master of the landscape arts, tipping is pretty much non-existent. I would typically get maybe 20 bucks once a season for a yard cleanup from some sweet old lady. It was nice and all but certainly not expected by me, or any other landscaper I knew, or know now.

Amazing. I would have figured these guys deserve a tip more than just about anyone. Yeah, kind of a no-brainer to offer them water as well.

Extra work for them packing it all up in to go containers, most places the chashier or a waitress dos that. It's more work than carrying plates to your table
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I once, ONCE, didn't tip a taxi driver in Vegas. He went a long way to the airport and it pissed me off. I normally tip no matter what, and the ONE time i didn't.....he called me out on it and wouldn't unload my bags. Fuck him.

One of a million reasons Uber is doing well.
    I had a cab in Vegas go so far out of the way once I ended up getting out at a traffic light. The short ride from the airport to the hotel turned into a 55 minute tour of the city where he went in both directions on I15 with over $75 on the meter so when the car finally got stuck at a light I took off. I got to listen to the guy tell me about how terrible the US was and how there was going to be an Arab revolution that was going to destroy the country starting with the Jews. It was pretty funny watching him get out with the door open and the car running and chase me. I also got a tour of Boston once going from Logan to Newton to a hotel for a family event where I saw the meter top $200. When it got to the hotel and he wouldn't pop the trunk until I paid I got out and walked straight inside to the desk and told them to call the police. It took over 2 hours to get there and he went around Fenway twice, like I wouldn't notice that. I had to have my dad and grandfather stand in front of the car so he wouldn't leave with my bags in the trunk. The cops finally got there and made him give me my bags then told me to go inside so I don't know what happened after that.

No I won't tip on take-out orders. I tip on pre-tax amount at restaurants, always have. If the service is decent it's at least 15%, if it's good 20% but if it's bad service 10% or less.

Quote Originally Posted by klar View Post
    Thanks for the Fairbanks advice. I have signed up for the cycling club and go on their weekly mountain bike rides and am on the climbing club listserv but haven't managed to go on one of their trips (they stopped skiing in April I think). Will try to volunteer with the alpine ski club in the winter. I bought my first ever pair of xc skis three days after I got there and it is a good way to get outside in the winter. Going for an xc ski over lunch just isn't quite as good as going for an actual ski, which I was able to do at home. Fairbanks isn't as terrible as people make it sound, I just have high standards in terms of skiing because of what I had at home.

Were you there for the 2015 fire season or 2004? It sounds like both were really bad by objective metrics as well as subjective "I need to get out of fairbanks" feelings. Are you still in AK?
    Sounds like you are pretty much set in Fairbanks. Only other thing I can think of is to send out an email to the listserve and see if you can find someone that wants to go out. I understand on cross country skiing but I will say I'm usually more scared descending on a pair of cross country skis than I am on downhill.

I prefer Fairbanks over Anchorage because I think there is more to do and less crowded.

I was there for the 2004 fire season, at that point I had been living there since 2001 and just knew it would stop, but it did suck. I unfortunately left AK in 2007 with the intention of moving back. Life didn't work out that way. I miss AK, but I live next to family now and that has made up for it. No idea if I will ever live there again. If I had been living up there would have already invited you to go out. After seeing some of your trip reports would have loved to tour with you.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Amazing. I would have figured these guys deserve a tip more than just about anyone. Yeah, kind of a no-brainer to offer them water as well.
    Don't get me wrong, the landscaper will appreciate it. If you want to up your game, step it up from water.

Like like that guy in Shawshank, just a bucket o suds for me and my coworkers.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I had to have my dad and grandfather stand in front of the car so he wouldn't leave with my bags in the trunk. .
    Awesome. The whole family helped out and were on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    As has been already pointed out in this thread, kitchen workers also make dick for pay and rely on a tipshare from FoH to supplement their income. When you stiff a waitress, you are often stiffing every worker at the place.
    What isn't clearly pointed out is your boss is actually stiffing their workers, and his/her customers have to choose to make up for it depending on how the service is. As a former Pickle barrel employee, I never expected tips making dumb sandwiches for pick-up. I was appreciative, but not necessary. That said, I still always tip restaurant workers. Even $1 dollar on a pick-up is not that hard to do.

I will say if it's a large take-out, like for 10 people, that's a bit different as it makes everything super stressful to do that order and all the others for people in line, and it's worthy of a tip.

Kid worked at a Sonic Drive In. Because their employees deliver food to the car, they claim they are in the restaurant business, and therefore only have to pay their "servers" server wages i.e. $2.13 an hour. No one knows to tip the "server" at a fast food joint. But they will give you an extra $1.00 if you deliver the food on roller skates or blades.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Kid worked at a Sonic Drive In. Because their employees deliver food to the car, they claim they are in the restaurant business, and therefore only have to pay their "servers" server wages i.e. $2.13 an hour. No one knows to tip the "server" at a fast food joint. But they will give you an extra $1.00 if you deliver the food on roller skates or blades.
    Damn, how do they get anyone to work for them?
    Live Free or Die